Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grass lawn

Options
  • 29-06-2007 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi all,

We are in the middle of building our house and should be finished within the next couple of months. We wanted to have a BBQ as a house warming but the garden will be nowhere near ready. We were thinking of buying the grass sods that you roll out. Has anyone had any experience with this lawn and could you offer some advice.

Your help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I've laid several gardens with lawn turfs....

Main points are....preparation - the ground underneath has to be prepared properly - turfs are not quite the shortcut some people think. Evenly raked - no stones & a layer of good sand (not too deep of the turfs will dry).

I tend to sprinkle a layer of blood fish & bone on the soil first & then roll out the turfs - use a scaffold board to kneel on so that ur not putting too much pressure on the turfs - water small & regular for the first week & hey presto - instant lawn.

Try not to walk on it too much for the first couple of weeks & most important MAKE SURE THE TURFS ARE GOOD QUALITY. No point in saving money buying cheaper turfs as you'll have a garden riddled with weeds.

Gimme a shout if u need more

Andi

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭tattoo

cheers andip,

will definitely consider getting grass turf and if we do I'll use your tips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

onlineturf.com is the place to get your turf, very good quality (way better than the stuff you get in B&Q and the likes) and they deliver...

Very very easy to lay out, preparation of the soil is the most important thing. They have to be watered everyday, I layed mine at end of April and basically drowned the turfs for the first 2 weeks. Wouldnt need much watering nowadays with all the rain were getting !!!

Advertisement