Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about Vista Product Keys

• 29-06-2007 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know, can Microsoft Activation thing tell whether a key has been assigned to a 32 or 64-bit version of Windows?

The reason I ask is that Dell (ridiculously) ship a number of computers with 64-bit chips, but 32-bit OSes. So, I was planning to use a 64-bit DVD I already have, with the key that comes with the new PC. Would that work? Or would the activation realise "this key was assigned to a 32-bit version" and reject it - i.e. does the activation server know whether "key X" was assigned to a 32-bit version, or if it was assigned to a 64-bit version, or will it activate regardless?

Or alternatively, does anyone know, will this work with OEM product keys?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Why do you want the 64bit edition driver support for 64 is not as good as 32

If you can get your hands on a dell 64bit vista DVD(if such a thing exists) that will install and activate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

I'm not counting on adding too many extras if any so drivers shouldn't be an issue.

But Dell weren't much help in my attempts to get 64 shipped on it - although they do have it for some PCs, they didn't seem to like the idea of changing it when this one doesn't come with it by default.

So my only option is to use another disc with the product key (if that will work - anyone?) or to use Microsoft's 64-bit disc ordering service (if that takes OEM serials - anyone?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I used the cd-key that came with my 64-bit disc to install a 32 bit version. Apparently they arent assigned to aversion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Stekelly wrote:
    I used the cd-key that came with my 64-bit disc to install a 32 bit version. Apparently they arent assigned to aversion

Either that or its a sort of "backwards compatibility" (i.e. 64-bit keys work with both, while 32 might be restriced to 32).

I'll see what I can do with Dell (maybe making threats on not buying it without 64-bit OS might help). I'm really not satisfied how the sales agents won't even make enquiries on if they can change it (so I'm hoping they'll have a commission they won't want to lose out on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Officially;

Retail Vista = same serial key used for 32/64-bits.

OEM Vista = separate serial key used for 32/64-bits.

However as Stekelly pointed out assuming he was using the OEM version there are reports of people successfully using the OEM serial key on different xx-bit version.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

But you don't get to enter a serial key with a Dell PC? At least when I got mine recently with Vista, it never asked for one. I think it's tied to Dell BIOS or something, ie. this OEM version of Vista will only work on a Dell PC.

Could be wrong though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

byte wrote:
    But you don't get to enter a serial key with a Dell PC? At least when I got mine recently with Vista, it never asked for one. I think it's tied to Dell BIOS or something, ie. this OEM version of Vista will only work on a Dell PC.

Could be wrong
    Here is some info on that. I particularly like the way M$ publish the SLP serials on their web site for legitimate licensed users.

This should explain why you can't take a CD home from work and install on a different brand of computer.

System Locked Preinstallation, often abbreviated as SLP, is a procedure used by major computer manufacturers in order to preactivate Microsoft's operating systems Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 before mass distribution. Operating systems that use SLP check for a particular text string in a computer's BIOS upon booting.
    though
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Locked_Preinstallation

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457078.aspx
    In order to reduce a significant source of piracy, Microsoft has disabled online activation for COA Keys that are attached to PCs that have been pre-activated by OEMs.

To help minimize the potential impact on licensed users, this whitepaper provides steps licensed end users can take to preserve OEM pre-activation

Windows XP Professional 32 bit MVF4D-W774K-MC4VM-QY6XY- R38TB
    Windows XP Tablet PC Edition XT67V-GY7FW-GR6FR-WDK2C-8T97J
    Windows XP Professional x64 bit FM634-HJ3QK-6QVTY-RJY4R-XCR9J

For any of the solutions outlined below, you can verify that the OEM pre-activation has been preserved by clicking Start -> Run and typing %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A and then click OK. If the procedure was successful, a message indicating that Windows has already been activated will be displayed.

Advertisement