Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Fridge

Options
  • 29-06-2007 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of ordering an American side by side. I'm a little concerned about the possibility of getting it into the kitchen. I have a standard patio sliding door going out the back to which leads to a side entrance. I also have a standard single PVC front door and a standard internal door into the kitchen.

What did you guys with these fridges do to get them in or am I worry about nothing?

Can patio doors be taken down or can these fridges be taken apart somehow.

Any advice is gratefully appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi Fred,

Go one for our new house a couple of years ago. It just fit through the front door and then I took the kitchen doors off and got it in that way, however the fridge doors are designed to come off so that they can get through a standard door.

regards

Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Thanks for the reply Gary,

I'm looking at a Whirlpool one, I rang Whirlpool and the Rep told me I needed min 34" wide door. I measured my doors and they're not even close to that.
    My sister got a Samsung fridge last year and they got it through her doors without to much trouble. I'd like to hear from anyone with a Whirlpool and see how they got it in.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Is it the 20 cu. ft. or the 25 cu. ft one you're going for?

The 20cuft is 762mm deep, which is 30inches. The 25cuft one though is 34inch (852mm) thouugh you'll get it through a 710mm door opening with doors removed.

Thanks byte, some great info there. I was looking at 20 cu.ft one. If those measurements are correct I'm grand as I think the patio door is 32" wide. Any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

I got a Whirlpool fridge freezer last year. We brought it through a sliding patio door but had to remove all packaging and the door itself (they just lift out of the runners). The van driver said he has had to remove the doors in the past to get them into houses but it was a right pain to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Some Whirlpool Side/Side's were awkward to take the doors off, due to the water and electrics to the door needing to be disconnected.

I remember a job where, even after we had doors removed from a Whirlpool, the damn thing still wouldn't fit into the kitchen, due to the rather narrow doors. We had to remove the kitchen window, and 4 of us had to lift it through the window! Thankfully, I've never had to do that since, as I think building regs mean that now doors must be wide enough for wheelchairs, and thus Side/Sides too!

OK I got one. We had to take off the packaging then we took off the patio door and even then it only just squeezed through the door, very close.
    I was a little worried at one stage that it wasn't going to fit in at all, but all's well ends well. Thanks for the help lads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

In my case, an LG, 19 something cu, the front door was in fact wider than the sliding patio door, and in any case, it was really easy to remove the fridge doors anyway!

Advertisement