Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 770 Internet Tablet - €134.46 [Expansys.ie]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Zynks wrote:
    I have a few doubts about this solution and wonder if anyone has tried it out:

- Car charger - can they be purchased somewhere?
    - Car holder - anyone come across one?
    - Audio quality - does it provide a good sound quality?
    - Processing power - would the N770 be able to handle music playback and GPS running at the same time?

Any other points I should consider?
    You can get a car charger alright (ebay link). I think the newer nokia phones use the same charger.

Not sure about the other question though as I don't yet have my unit (I'll think twice before ordering from expansys again!)

Here is another good program that I found, made by nokia for playing music and streaming on a home network. Link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭JAMM222

I got this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200029048402 and its a great holder for the 770 very cheap aswell in fact its nearly a bargain alert in itself! $14.98 us delivered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

I'd order it there but they are out of stock too! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Well I sent my proof of address anyway..

Ok looking at stock today I see:

N770Tablet + 1GB card
    Availability: Due Sunday 5th August

If you order this product before 4pm today, IE customers can expect shipment in 14 working days. Add your email address to the box at the bottom to receive an alert message when we get stock.

and the N770 on its own:
    Availability: Estimated 7 Days

If you order this product before 4pm today, IE customers can expect shipment in 10 working days. Add your email address to the box at the bottom to receive an alert message when we get stock.

Can anyone explain this? I also decided to part ship and pay the extra in case the memory cards were out of stock, which at the time, they were.

I dunno when I'll get mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

funkyflea wrote:
    Well I sent my proof of address anyway..

Ok looking at stock today I see:

N770Tablet + 1GB card
    Availability: Due Sunday 5th August

If you order this product before 4pm today, IE customers can expect shipment in 14 working days. Add your email address to the box at the bottom to receive an alert message when we get stock.

and the N770 on its own:
    Availability: Estimated 7 Days

If you order this product before 4pm today, IE customers can expect shipment in 10 working days. Add your email address to the box at the bottom to receive an alert message when we get stock.

Can anyone explain this? I also decided to part ship and pay the extra in case the memory cards were out of stock, which at the time, they were.

I dunno when I'll get mine.
    This confusion is all very disappointing.

I, too, ordered the N770 + card package on 15.07. I emailed Expansys last night & got a reply early this am, saying that product was expected in stock "early next week" & would be despatched to me immediately on arrival.

This info obviously conflicts with both that on the order tracking page and that on the new order page of the website.

I toyed with idea of asking for part shipment but that will cost extra E13. At that price it might be better to cancel the card altogether & order 2GB from another source.

Lissavane wrote:
    This confusion is all very disappointing.

I, too, ordered the N770 + card package on 15.07. I emailed Expansys last night & got a reply early this am, saying that product was expected in stock "early next week" & would be despatched to me immediately on arrival.

This info obviously conflicts with both that on the order tracking page and that on the new order page of the website.

I toyed with idea of asking for part shipment but that will cost extra E13. At that price it might be better to cancel the card altogether & order 2GB from another source.

Yeah isn't it just.

I was thinking of ringing them but I don't think it's worth the effort I'll only be given another date, probably a wrong one.

I paid for the part shipping, I don't mind paying extra as long as I get it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cmcweb

I ordered one without rs-MMC card 2 weeks ago when it was estimated 5 days, now its saying 7 days, hope its worth the wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

cmcweb wrote:
    I ordered one without rs-MMC card 2 weeks ago when it was estimated 5 days, now its saying 7 days, hope its worth the wait!
    The way it's going it'd need to fry the f*n breakfast for us!!

Maybe there's a cooking repository we can download :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

bucks73 wrote:
    Installed Canola on the 770 and then installed the Simplecenter UPnP server on my PC where music library is and selected the required folders to share. Pretty simple really. Only thing it cant see are the itunes playlists, artists and albums are seen fine.

Does it see the iTunes songs and play them? It sees mine but I get "Error" when I try to play any :confused: .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

funkyflea wrote:
    Yeah isn't it just.

I was thinking of ringing them but I don't think it's worth the effort I'll only be given another date, probably a wrong one.

I paid for the part shipping, I don't mind paying extra as long as I get it now.

I rang them up now, have ordered mine a bit back and part shipping is only available on Memory Card I was told.

DeepBlue wrote:
    Does it see the iTunes songs and play them? It sees mine but I get "Error" when I try to play any :confused: .

What format are the files and do they have DRM on them?

Still waiting for my tablet from expansys.

Remaining to be shipped:
    Nokia 770 Internet Tablet _____________________Estimated 7 Days
    ORA Memory 1GB Reduced Size Multi Media Card __Estimated 10 Days

For such a big company their stock control is completely fubar.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

I have a few doubts about this solution and wonder if anyone has tried it out:

- Car charger - can they be purchased somewhere?
    - Car holder - anyone come across one?
    - Audio quality - does it provide a good sound quality?
    - Processing power - would the N770 be able to handle music playback and GPS running at the same time?

I intend using this in the car as well mainly as a GPS. Haven't got a GPS receiver yet but one thing that may be annoying is the way the screen on Maemo Mapper or other apps goes into auto dim after a period of inactivity. Maybe these settings can be changed.

The sound through the built in speaker is very tinny, not suitable for music IMO. Maybe you intend connecting it your your car stereo somehow??

I noted in another post that the Nokia 770 is available with navicore gps receiver and software for a little over 200eu. This could be a good bet as it saves having to download maps like you would with maemo mapper. You wither need to download them before your journey (not always possible) or connect via your phone to web to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

dal wrote:
    What format are the files and do they have DRM on them?

They're MPEG-4 Audio files (.m4a file extension).
    As for DRM - I'm not exactly sure :confused:. I added them to the iTunes library from my own CD collection.

The delay on delivery sucks. I'm glad I part shipped the tablet when I had the chance rather than waiting for the bundle to be delivered.

DeepBlue wrote:
    They're MPEG-4 Audio files (.m4a file extension).
    As for DRM - I'm not exactly sure :confused:. I added them to the iTunes library from my own CD collection.

The delay on delivery sucks. I'm glad I part shipped the tablet when I had the chance rather than waiting for the bundle to be delivered.

If you added them from your CD collection then there should be no DRM

I don't think that the 770 supports files with a .m4a extension. Its does say it supports .aac though. As a test, try to change the file extension of one of the .m4a files to .aac. I think they are the same format.

randomname wrote:
    I rang them up now, have ordered mine a bit back and part shipping is only available on Memory Card I was told.

Ah ffs,!

Ok the N770 now says:
    Availability: 296 In Stock - 10 Days

This product is at our central warehouse and should be shipped in 3 working days

????

And my order tracking page says "Some items can now be shipped"

So...........I'm still confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

funkyflea wrote:
    Ah ffs,!

Ok the N770 now says:
    Availability: 296 In Stock - 10 Days

This product is at our central warehouse and should be shipped in 3 working days

????

And my order tracking page says "Some items can now be shipped"

So...........I'm still confused.

LOL i'm looking at website now and its says Availability: Estimated 7 Days.

My order says the same thing as yours with "Some items can now be shipped" but I phoned them up and asked and was told they dont have tablets in stock so no point of part ship.

They said a few days till they get them in stock.

Alright cheers for that , so basically nobody really knows! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

In a nutshell!

I have to say, this would not encourage me to order from Expansys again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

GG66 wrote:
    I intend using this in the car as well mainly as a GPS. Haven't got a GPS receiver yet but one thing that may be annoying is the way the screen on Maemo Mapper or other apps goes into auto dim after a period of inactivity. Maybe these settings can be changed.
    I read somewhere that Maemo Mapper (or GPSDrive) can stop the screen from dimming, but I can't find where I read that.
    GG66 wrote:
    The sound through the built in speaker is very tinny, not suitable for music IMO. Maybe you intend connecting it your your car stereo somehow??
    Exactly. From what I've been reading, sound quality through the headphone socket should be fine
    GG66 wrote:
    I noted in another post that the Nokia 770 is available with navicore gps receiver and software for a little over 200eu. This could be a good bet as it saves having to download maps like you would with maemo mapper. You wither need to download them before your journey (not always possible) or connect via your phone to web to do so.
    Yes, I spotted that also, but my order was already made. I ordered the GlobalSat BT-359, which ends costing €20 more and doesn't include the software. But on the other hand, it says that bundle will only be available on 17 August.

• Advertisement

GG66 wrote:
    ... but one thing that may be annoying is the way the screen on Maemo Mapper or other apps goes into auto dim after a period of inactivity. Maybe these settings can be changed.
    Here is a How to increase screen dimming/blanking timeouts:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5704&highlight=standby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

What the hell, My order is showing estimated 7 days and estimated 6 days for the tablet and memory card,I ordered on the 15th.
    Clicking the link for the tablet on its own "http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=141019&se=240" it shows estimated 7 days, however, clicking the link for the bundle (which is what I ordered) "http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=142406" shows 44 in stock and to be shipped withing 3 days...
    I mean what that hell, I always thought expansys were a good company but after this Im not sure I will want to deal with them so quickly again, I think I will give them a call tomorrow and see whats happening, This is getting really dam annoying especially since "Estimated 7 days" hasnt changed in a few days!

ab_cork wrote:
    I think I will give them a call tomorrow and see whats happening, This is getting really dam annoying especially since "Estimated 7 days" hasnt changed in a few days!

Yeah, same situation here.
    How could they have the bundle in stock but not the 770 on its own?!

Let us know how you get on if you call them.

[EDIT]
    Update on my order status page:
    Nokia 770 Internet Tablet_____________________Estimated 7 Days
    ORA Memory 1GB Reduced Size Multi Media Card__Estimated 6 Days

So I don't know how they can say they have the bundle in stock

Yeah def post an update. Bundle said 276 in stock this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

I just rang them, they say the 770 will be in on the 31st July. Should be shipped early August.

whizzbang wrote:
    I just rang them, they say the 770 will be in on the 31st July. Should be shipped early August.
    Thanks whizzbang.

Would be interesting to know how many people have this thing on order. A quick google and I see a ton of other forums discussing this tablet - ordered from expansys - and I wonder if I'll ever get mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Here is a How to increase screen dimming/blanking timeouts:
    http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...hlight=standby

Nice one, that should do it. A few questions for you?

Where did you get your GPS receiver from? Need to order one
    How do you plan connecting to car stereo through headphone socket?

GG66 wrote:
    Nice one, that should do it. A few questions for you?
    Where did you get your GPS receiver from?
    I ordered it from Expansis also. A bit of lazyness combined with wanting to receive all at the same time :o
    I followed a suggestion earlier in this thread to make sure it has a SirfIII chip.
    GG66 wrote:
    How do you plan connecting to car stereo through headphone socket?
    Most (or many) car stereos have a AUX input. It takes a bit of wiring, but worth it. Check the manual for yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Ok yea I just rang them too and they said the 31st, I was told they had 2500 backorders!
    I asked about the website and I explained that the bundle page showed 33 stock yesterday and 460 at the moment.. but the person I was onto didnt have a clue about that, all she could see was the stock information... and she says not in stock till the 31st.. so I guess their website is very very unreliable!

This long delay will definetly make me think twice before ordering from these guys again!

ab,

Advertisement