Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 770 Internet Tablet - €134.46 [Expansys.ie]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

dal wrote:
    I don't think that the 770 supports files with a .m4a extension. Its does say it supports .aac though. As a test, try to change the file extension of one of the .m4a files to .aac. I think they are the same format.
    I converted a few to .aac and had the same problem i.e "Error" - mp3s are fine though :) .

On a different note my 770 decided to lose all my RSS feeds :( - I'd be more irritated if I'd paid €350+ for the unit but it's just another reminder that the 770 is a beta product.
    Still happy enough with it though :o .

dal wrote:
    I don't think that the 770 supports files with a .m4a extension. Its does say it supports .aac though. As a test, try to change the file extension of one of the .m4a files to .aac. I think they are the same format.
    I converted a few to .aac and had the same problem i.e "Error" - mp3s are fine though :) .

On a different note my 770 decided to lose all my RSS feeds :( - I'd be more irritated if I'd paid €350+ for the unit but it's just another reminder that the 770 is a beta product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

DeepBlue wrote:
    On a different note my 770 decided to lose all my RSS feeds :(

same thing happened twice to me. rss crashs from home screen and wipes out feeds. opml feed links remain though even though there are no feeds. sounds like a caching issue maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

ab_cork wrote:
    Ok yea I just rang them too and they said the 31st, I was told they had 2500 backorders!
    I asked about the website and I explained that the bundle page showed 33 stock yesterday and 460 at the moment.. but the person I was onto didnt have a clue about that, all she could see was the stock information... and she says not in stock till the 31st.. so I guess their website is very very unreliable!

This long delay will definetly make me think twice before ordering from these guys again!

ab,
    wow, that's a lot of back orders! I hope they get enough units!

I'm not too pushed about the delay, it is a hell of a deal.

looks like they are not great if the product is not in stock:
    http://www.google.co.uk/products/reviews?fq=nokia+770&cid=e5782fd3029729e8

still, I can wait for a bargain.

quintron wrote:
    same thing happened twice to me. rss crashs from home screen and wipes out feeds. opml feed links remain though even though there are no feeds. sounds like a caching issue maybe?

Do you mean that the feeds are available somewhere to be added back?
    My impression is that all the feeds are lost and I have to go back and google for the links again and re-add them to the RSS feed. On the "Home" screen the last feeds are there but the "Last Updated" time is "Never" and when I open the RSS app it tells me I've no feeds added (Screenshots attached).

I'd say the RSS application itself is buggy. When I tried previously to organise my RSS feeds into folders the applet on the home screen wouldn't refresh at all :confused: .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I am with whizzbang on not having problems with delays for such a bargain, provided I DO get it!

The delay gives us time to research and plan different uses for the 770. As I mentioned before, I intend to use it in my car as an audio player connected to the stereo (use wifi to download from my home server when parked outside), and connected to a BT GPS receiver.

With a bit more of thought, the idea is increasing. I have an old P3 laptop somewhere in the attic. I was thinking of installing linux on it, stick a 3 broadband card (20 yo-yos per month up to 10 GB) and stick a mini PCI wifi card and hide it somewhere in the boot.

I am not sure how it would work yet, but there are several possibilities, which include:

- Internet access on the move (to include GPS map updates)
    - VoIP handsfree (built in mic of 770 or connected to laptop input and sound output through car stereo)
    - VNC connection to laptop to control media server
    - Internet radio
    - IM including Skype

Any more ideas?

I suspect this is going to be a fun (and pretty inexpensive) project!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

You can wire up a USB power adaptor, and set up USB Host on the 770, allowing you to run an external HDD. Leaving lots and lots of room for music.
    Granted it would be a bit messy with all the cables. (power, usb to hdd, bluetooth GPS power?) but it would be the business.

I've got mine dual booting with 2007HE on a 2GB MMC. Yummy!! I much prefer it to 2006, runs smoother, and overall feels more finished. Granted, I can't play mp3's, but I haven't looked into yet, I believe it's fixable.

Zynks wrote:
    - Internet access on the move (to include GPS map updates)
    - VoIP handsfree (built in mic of 770 or connected to laptop input and sound output through car stereo)
    - VNC connection to laptop to control media server
    - Internet radio
    - IM including Skype

Any more ideas?

I suspect this is going to be a fun (and pretty inexpensive) project!
    I'm planning on using it as a wifi connected Podcasting client. Have podcasts download without needing to turn on a computer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

You can wire up a USB power adaptor, and set up USB Host on the 770, allowing you to run an external HDD. Leaving lots and lots of room for music.
    Granted it would be a bit messy with all the cables. (power, usb to hdd, bluetooth GPS power?) but it would be the business.

I've got mine dual booting with 2007HE on a 2GB MMC. Yummy!! I much prefer it to 2006, runs smoother, and overall feels more finished. Granted, I can't play mp3's, but I haven't looked into yet, I believe it's fixable.

Was this hard to set up and what instructions did you follow? Do you need a 2GB card to do this or will 1GB suffice (I only ordered 1GB)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

dal wrote:
    Was this hard to set up and what instructions did you follow? Do you need a 2GB card to do this or will 1GB suffice (I only ordered 1GB)?

It's actually quite straight forward. There's a few files you need, and a few things tend to go wrong. I'll do a quick write up of it later, bout to go to bed, all the links I followed, and problems that I remember running into and how I fixed them. I know very little about Linux, but I'm fairly good at the oul' search button.

Very basically it works like this.

>Flash your main internal memory with 2007HE.
    >Partition and format your memory card.
    >Copy internal flash to partition.
    >Flash 2006 to internal memory.

There you go, dual booting :) If you go looking now, I would recommend you install dropbear on your 770 and Putty on your windows machine so you can use your main keyboard. Copy and Paste is much easier than typing out all the commands :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 paddypaws

just got word from them that the stock will be arriving tomorrow(we see) and they have enough to cover the back order..happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Would you be able to install a pokerclient and play online poker with this ?

Thanks
    Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

paddypaws wrote:
    just got word from them that the stock will be arriving tomorrow(we see) and they have enough to cover the back order..happy days

Woohoo, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

My 770 died today :( I finally got it booting from mmc, it was so beautiful. Once I booted up (it was definitely faster, by the way), I changed the skin on it so that the flash memory and the memory card would have different colours and I'd know at a glance which I was in. I rebooted to go into flash, and it never came on properly again :( I can kinda see the nokia symbol, hands etc through a haze of white with vertical lines all through it, and I can see that it is booting up to the operating system, but what good is that if I can't see? I reflashed it and it made no difference. Rang nokia, they gave me the name of a phone shop in Sligo to bring it back to, so happy with their customer care at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

paddypaws wrote:
    Thank you for that & I hope it's true. Did you check order tracking? I did just now and got this:

Item Qty
    Ordered Qty
    Remaining Status
    Nokia 770 Internet Tablet 1 1 Estimated 7 Days
    ORA Memory 1GB Reduced Size Multi Media Card (RS MMC) 1 1 Estimated 12 Days

I ordered on 15.07.

Lissavane wrote:
    Thank you for that & I hope it's true. Did you check order tracking? I did just now and got this:

Item Qty
    Ordered Qty
    Remaining Status
    Nokia 770 Internet Tablet 1 1 Estimated 7 Days
    ORA Memory 1GB Reduced Size Multi Media Card (RS MMC) 1 1 Estimated 12 Days

I ordered on 15.07.

Yeah, that's what I have as well. Funny thing is that the estimated time for the memory card was actually 5 days just this morning.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The stock system seems to be all over the place. The intial view shows 7 days and then when you check the detailed it's 11 August. So much for the 31 July that they were touting. This morning the card was showing as In stock (when I checked)

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

dal wrote:
    Yeah, that's what I have as well. Funny thing is that the estimated time for the memory card was actually 5 days just this morning.

What's disturbing is, it said just 4 days for card yesterday when I checked.

Anyway, it's only a bit of plastic (well, not really, but let's not go into that) - it's not the end of the world if it never shows up. But if it doesn't......f******b*******!!

The card was def showing as in stock yesterday! But no change to the 770.. what is going on!

Memory card is now back down to 2 days (from 12 days yesterday) on my order status. Seems to be no method to this stock reporting madness.

Just gimme my frickin 770 already will ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

dal wrote:
    Memory card is now back down to 2 days (from 12 days yesterday) on my order status. Seems to be no method to this stock reporting madness.

Just gimme my frickin 770 already will ya!

It was the same for me when I ordered mine. Looking at stock levels won't make any difference except frustrate you. You simply have to be patient and wait for an email telling you it's dispatched. Only then are you sure to get it.....
    Admit its not easy when waiting on a new toy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ciderandhavoc

Hey guys,

I ordered from expansys last Saturday (22nd of July) - I spoke to someone just there who confirmed my order would be despatched this afternoon and to expect an email 'shortly'.

^ I hope that stock did come in this morning then and that I get an email too!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 paddypaws

GG66 wrote:
    Admit its not easy when waiting on a new toy.

this is true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ciderandhavoc

Expansys wrote:
    Availability: 445 In Stock Now

If you order this product before 4pm today, IE customers can expect shipment in 3 working days

*sobs* - just give me mine.............

no emails and not sign of the 770 on the stock list but my order page now says mine is shipped! fingers crossed! :)

not showing up on dhl yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Just placed an order a minute ago.

They have 445 units in stock but estimated 11 days on my order thou!

Marty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

whizzbang wrote:
    no emails and not sign of the 770 on the stock list but my order page now says mine is shipped! fingers crossed! :)

not showing up on dhl yet though.
    Same here.

EDIT Just got the email saying it was shipped.

Nokia 770 Internet Tablet 1 1 Item Shipped
    ORA Memory 1GB (RS MMC) 1 1 Item Shipped

Woohoo!

FYI. I ordered mine on the 20/07/07

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

yeah! I just checked and mine was shipped today too!

/me jumps for joy

And I think ive been waititing even longer than some of you! I ordered on the 15th.

Advertisement