Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 770 Internet Tablet - €134.46 [Expansys.ie]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

randomer wrote:
    Mine arrived in a bashed up box. I collected it from the DHL office and when I opened it and the screen was smashed.

I went back into the guy in DHL and he recorded that it was smashed. I am trying to contact Expansys now on the phone, but it is just a really irritating recorded message! Has anyone ever had to return anything to Expansys?

They're closed at 6 I believe. Try again tomorrow at 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

I tried posting on mine in work, but it wouldn't go through. Boards is very slow on it. I'm home now, and it won't pick up my wireless network. It's a belkin54g router. The 770 picks up a shed load of my neighbours networks, yet not mine. It worked just fine at work on a belkin router. Damn!

Question to all those go bought from expansys. Did yours come with an uk charger? mine came with a U.S. one, I'll have to get back onto them.

Mine came with an EU plug with UK plug adaptor. No biggie. Picked up my LinksysWRT54G router no problems. Don't cap the hex keys if on WEP. there is no need.
    Have a boat load of apps installed. testing at the minute. It has crashed about 6 times and restarted twice but thats my own ignorance of linux i think!!
    Trying to install some apps but I'm missing some libraries that I cannot figure out where to find..
    post links to any interesting apps you find..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

I'm loving this gadget. Total bargain for the money.

Picked up my router as well as about six others, which is more than my laptop picks up & has connected to my SE phone without a hitch.

Browsed a few pages earlier, including boards.ie, and was quite impressed with the speed. Even content rich pages load in 10-20 seconds max. Most other pages were a lot quicker. Doesn't seem to like boards.ie though; I logged in to do this post on it but I was directed to a search page instead.

The screen is amazing, bright and clear, even with small text.

Now to try some applications. Waiting for my 2Gb card from 7dayshop so wont be doing much just yet. Looking forward to trying GPS on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Mine came with US plug but luckily I have an adapter and I'd like to use it when I'm away so it suits me.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony, was there no IRL adaptor in the box or DHL bag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

yeah mine came with an adapter packed in the bag.

posting this message on it now. its definately slower than the desktop at browsing but stull ok.

it doesn't like boards too muchm very slow but changing the style to mobile has improved that.

kinda picky on wifi range, u need to be near the router, anyone else find this?

Getting same range as my laptop at the moment.

quintron wrote:
    Tony, was there no IRL adaptor in the box or DHL bag?

No checked right through and the bag was sealed, guess it was an oversight.No big deal for me but it would be really frustrating for others I'm guessing. If anyone else needs an adapter please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

quarryman wrote:
    yeah mine came with an adapter packed in the bag.

posting this message on it now. its definately slower than the desktop at browsing but stull ok.

it doesn't like boards too muchm very slow but changing the style to mobile has improved that.

kinda picky on wifi range, u need to be near the router, anyone else find this?
    Go into Control Panel
    Find your wifi connection under connectivity
    Select edit----next
    next----next----advanced
    Now select other
    Is WLAN transmission power on 100mw?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

sorry to ask a possibly stupid question but what exactly can you do with yor moblie and the tablet? ive got a k800i, is there anything i can do with that and the tablet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

The k800i can be setup as a modem for the tablet, allowing the tablet access to the internet if you do not have a wireless network. You can also transfer pics, mp3's etc between both

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Tony wrote:
    No checked right through and the bag was sealed, guess it was an oversight.No big deal for me but it would be really frustrating for others I'm guessing. If anyone else needs an adapter please let me know.

Arrghh, no Irish adaptor with mine so all I can do is look at it for now..

I've got two flat pins on the supplied adaptor, take it thats a US plug. I assume most electrical shops supply adaptors, e.g. Currys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I've got two flat pins on the supplied adaptor, take it thats a US plug. I assume most electrical shops supply adaptors, e.g. Currys?
    Yep - should be easy to get. You just need an adapter, (not a voltage converter)

BTW - Has anybody got theirs working with VoIP, I've been trying to use Gizmo Project and BlueFace as my provider but I've not been able to get it working.....

GG66 wrote:
    Arrghh, no Irish adaptor with mine so all I can do is look at it for now..

What area are you in?

Tony wrote:
    What area are you in?

Sligo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

FWIW I've had a pain in my arse trying to connect to any WLANs detected.
    Even the 'unlocked' ones give up a "Network Connection Error".

That said, I'm new to wireless tech so I could just be being a gimp.

When I first turned mine on in work, it picked up 6 or 7 networks, and did the same at home.

Turned the unit off until I had access to my WEP key and when I switched it back on it couldn't find any networks.

I powered it down and tried again, and it worked.

fdevine wrote:
    Turned the unit off until I had access to my WEP key and when I switched it back on it couldn't find any networks.

I powered it down and tried again, and it worked.
    Where did you enter your WEP key then? Nice one.

GG66 wrote:
    Sligo

Sorry I'm Dublin, otherwise you could have one

Tony wrote:
    Sorry I'm Dublin, otherwise you could have one

cheers anyway.

I feel like a kid given a toy at christmas with no batteries...ah well at least the shops are open..

• Advertisement

Also got ship notification on the memory card today

Where did you enter your WEP key then? Nice one.

TOOLS > CONNECTION MANAGER > SELECT CONNECTION

If its picking up your router, select it.

You will then get a dialogue box with your router/network name, a pull down selector for the type of WEP key you have (ASCII 5 characters, HEX x10, ASCII x13 or HEX x26)

Select the type of WEP key you have (mine is HEX x26 128 bit)

Enter your key and away you go.....hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

I have two waiting for me at home but can't play probably until tomorrow :-(

Thanks to this thread for finding a star bargain

Peter

fdevine wrote:
    Enter your key and away you go.....hopefully
    Tks fdevine. That info could be useful...

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

does anyone know how to instal new software through a pc onto it ?

ahh wait got it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

You can install .deb packages downloaded to the memory card via USB but it is a lot easier to use the built in Application Manager and add repositories.

Open Tools -> Application Manager and click on the "Menu" button on the 770 (the one just over the "Home" button). Then, from the menu that appears, select Tools -> Application Catalog and "New" in the new window, to add repositories.

Repositories are essentially sites that contain applications for your tablet. You can find an initial list at:

http://maemo.org/community/wiki/applicationrepositories/

You then add a repository by adding the URL, Distribution and components fields. The "Enabled" check box should always be checked. So, let's say you add this repository:

Web address http://repository.maemo.org/
    Distribution mistral
    Components free non-free

Is the info you enter. Keep adding the repositories you want (most of the Maemo ones to start with and the FBReader one). When you're done, close the window and it will refresh packages.

When done, click on "Install Applications" and you'll find the list is now WAAAY longer.

Good ones to install:

- FBReader (for ebooks - just awesome)
    - Gaim (for IM, like MSN, Yahoo, etc)
    - Maemo Mapper (can be used with a GPS)

Hope this helps everyone get started. Struggling to install Evince which sounds great but seems to be a b**ch to install...

Anyone one any look installing the solitare game via maemo.org? Says missing libraries. same with a couple of other apps on maemo pages.
    Maemopad+ is also a decent app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭peterq

Anybody found out which video formats the 770 will ACTUALLY play?
    I've tried everything, even using winAVI to convert to the formats listed in the manual (RM, RMVB, 3GP etc) and all I get is error messages or "wrong format"

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jmadoyle

peterq wrote:
    Anybody found out which video formats the 770 will ACTUALLY play?
    I've tried everything, even using winAVI to convert to the formats listed in the manual (RM, RMVB, 3GP etc) and all I get is error messages or "wrong format"

i found media converter to work

http://mediaconverter.garage.maemo.org/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭peterq

jmadoyle wrote:
    i found media converter to work

http://mediaconverter.garage.maemo.org/
    Thanks for that, but the download link on the site is dead. I presume this is open-source so if I find a way to PM you (cant see a PM link) could you email it to me?

Advertisement