Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 770 Internet Tablet - €134.46 [Expansys.ie]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

hi guys

looking for a bit of help on this one. all day while out and about my 770 was picking up wireless networks all over the place ( from the car ) however when i got home i tried to connect to my bt voyager 1500 router, to no avail. it searches but says no networks found.

the router is working fine, typing this via wireless connection to laptop at present, and is within range of the 770.

trying a scan via control panel> connectivity turns up nothing either.

the router is open, unsecured, unencrypted etc.

any ideas would be really helpful

thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

I was having the same problem yesterday - see my earlier post.

I turned the unit off, and when I powered up again, it found the network.

Don't know what the problem was, but it hasn't happened since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Okay i got my 770 today, but it doesnt seem to connect properly to my wireless, i haven't a clue when it comes to doing stuff like this, but for my laptop i just have to find the router and type in the code but i've done that and it appears to connect but i can't access the interweb, does anyone have any ideas?
    P.S it somehow managed to connect for a few seconds and some site came up but then nothing...
    i dont know if that makes any difference but anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jmadoyle

peterq wrote:
    Thanks for that, but the download link on the site is dead. I presume this is open-source so if I find a way to PM you (cant see a PM link) could you email it to me?

this should work

https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=26&release_id=594

anyone know how to hard reset this thing back to factory state?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭peterq

jmadoyle wrote:
    Managed to get the media converter and all is fine now. Playback quality is surprisingly good!

Couple of other probs I hope someone can help with:

A. Anyone know how to get this to connect to the web via bluetooth and phone? Tried everything. WLAN is fine off my router right out of the box.
    Phone is Nokia E61 on Vodafone billpay using GPRS. Settings would be a great help!

B. Is it possible to clear the RSS feeds window, contacts list and "tableteer" thingy off the "desktop" I'd prefer just to have shortcuts to the things I'd ACTUALLY use! File manager, web, video playerand image viewer etc

Any help appreciated
    P

got it to see the wireless router by setting it to ad hoc in connections however i am confused by the ip addresses its looking for.

it wants

IP ADDRESS
    SUBNET MASK which i know is 255.255.255.0
    ROUTER

anyone know what the 1st and third refer to.
    or indeed if ad hoc is correct for this type of connection ( ie bt 1500 voyager router connected to cable modem )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

peterq wrote:
    Is it possible to clear the RSS feeds window, contacts list and "tableteer" thingy off the "desktop" I'd prefer just to have shortcuts to the things I'd ACTUALLY use! File manager, web, video playerand image viewer etc

When you're on the "Desktop", press the "Menu" button on the 770 (the one above the "Home" button) and there's an option to select which applets you want to appear and another to actually customize the layout. You can also use the Application Manager to install other applets (so far I've only installed a weather widget and everything else is built in stuff).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Is this really worth buying? I love these sorts of gadgets. Is the OS laggy at all? Is internet radio decent on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

eth0_ wrote:
    Is this really worth buying? I love these sorts of gadgets. Is the OS laggy at all? Is internet radio decent on it?

well for the price its goin for its worth it, it is a handy little device if your not arsed waitin for a laptop or pc to boot up and gps seems really cool too, just need to know how to play youtube files on it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

770KKLcars.jpg
    A shot of the LCARS system theme on my 770 with Tabletter image changed to something more in keeping with the erm..theme.
    Its a direct copy of the LCARs site one, moving the applets around, rss reader on the right etc.
    Does anyone know how to add more internet radio stations easily?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭Tony

quintron wrote:
    770KKLcars.jpg

Does anyone know how to add more internet radio stations easily?

I've been playing around with this without success, would also like to know how to do this.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

quintron wrote:
    A shot of the LCARS system theme on my 770 with Tabletter image changed to something more in keeping with the erm..theme.
    You big nerd!
    Ahem, now I have it installed too...

eth0_ wrote:

I have noticed only slight delays with the OS. Nothing unacceptable.

Tried the internet radio pre-set on it last night and it played flawlessly after taking a few seconds to buffer.

Also managed to install MeamoMapper last night and was surprised how small the package is. It picked up my Navicore receiver easily too. Now all I need are some maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

was thinkin of usin this as a gps, i downloaded the MeamoMapper, so what else do i need now, some sort of gps reciever? where can i get one and for how much ?

7dayshop and mobymemory do cheap BT GPS receivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I ordered mine the day before yesterday, Monday and got it there yesterday. I was amazed that it got here that quickly!

I got this one.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/12398.htm

Very happy with it. Its branded Navicore, buy says Holux on the back.

Worked out at €48.09 + €14.59 P&P, so €62.68 delivered.

I couldn't find any on 7dayshop although I could be wrong.

^^ Thats actually the site I meant! mobilefun. Watch out on orders over 80 euro (?) as they don't take credit cards, only bank drafts over a certain ammount. Very odd. I have ordered about 3 or 4 times from them and beyond that annoyingly odd payment system they have they are reliable. Just a pain in the neck. This is the one I got before. Its decent. http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/10939.htm
    Just make sure its a SiRF III chip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭peterq

Thanks for that - simple when you know how I suppose!
    Anyone help me with my connecting-to-web-via-bluetooth-and-phone prob?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Okay i got my 770 today, but it doesnt seem to connect properly to my wireless, i haven't a clue when it comes to doing stuff like this, but for my laptop i just have to find the router and type in the code but i've done that and it appears to connect but i can't access the interweb, does anyone have any ideas?
    P.S it somehow managed to connect for a few seconds and some site came up but then nothing...
    i dont know if that makes any difference but anyway...

Sorted:D

peterq wrote:
    Thanks for that - simple when you know how I suppose!
    Anyone help me with my connecting-to-web-via-bluetooth-and-phone prob?

No problem. Sorry, don't know much about the BT/Phone connection - I only wanted to use this over WiFi.

For others that are interested, I found out how to install Evince after all. Evince can read CBZ/CBR comic book files and has continuous page scrolling, which the built in PDF reader does not (Evince handles PDF as well).

You need to add these repositories:

Web address http://repository.maemo.org/extras/
    Distribution gregale
    Components free non-free

and the one that was the problem:

Web address http://repository.maemo.org/
    Distribution gregale
    Components free non-free

You will then get Evince 0.9x in your application catalog and should be able to install it. For some reason, the Maemo site lists the http://repository.maemo.org/ as "mistral" and this is why it would not work. You need to change it to "gregale". You also need to install Unrar (CBR files are essentially RAR files) and Unzip (CBZ files are ZIP files). I have CBZ working but still tinkering with CBR.

Comics look great in Evince and are easy to scroll through. My units crawls though cause I only have 3MB left on the paltry 64MB card - it might be better with the 2GB I'm getting since I can increase virtual memory. Anyone who got their 1GB can give it a go and report back if they want.

BTW, in case you are wondering what the hell mistral and gregale are, they refer to the OS distis on the tablets.

So:

Mistral - Internet Tablet OS 2005
    Gregale - IT OS 2006 (What all the Expansys ones should be shipping with)
    Bora - IT 2007 (default for the N800 and can be installed as a hacker edition on the 770)

I've got to say, the maemo site kinda leaves a lot to be desired info wise, though you can find most stuff if you look around... Still, it would be nice if there was something better organized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Hi,

Not to hijack this thread but I see alot of posts about technical difficulties with this gadget going back and forth. This looks to be a very good gadget and at an amazing price, so for those of us who haven't taken the plunge and purchased this, do any new owners have any advice?

Thanks alot,

eorpach

Thanks to Ruu for this one, although the item is out of stock, it might be worth waiting.....if they're getting more. 2Gb for £7.99

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53614223#post53614223

Ruu reports that they do have 1Gb cards for £4.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

eorpach wrote:
    This looks to be a very good gadget and at an amazing price, so for those of us who haven't taken the plunge and purchased this, do any new owners have any advice?

I don't know if this will be much help as I only have the device for one day.
    My first impression is that if you want this as an internet surfing device then it does that really well. So for browsing most sites it's pretty quick with no major lag :) - on boards.ie though it's quite slow and a little problematic :( .

The other functions - eg video player, audio player are not quite as good and I couldn't see it replacing any devices aimed at that segment.

A user would probably have to be prepared to get his hands dirty in order to add functionality from the free open source software that's available but the computer-illiterate should probably not apply as it generally doesn't "just work".

In short - for the internet it's a brilliant little mobile device, for the rest it's not so hot but I still think it's worth it at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Anyone get GAIm working with MSN? I keep getting "unable to authenticate: email address or password is incorrect". Both are correct so have no idea why it wont connect.

Cool little gadget though and i only have it a couple of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

bucks73 wrote:
    Anyone get GAIm working with MSN? I keep getting "unable to authenticate: email address or password is incorrect". Both are correct so have no idea why it wont connect.

Cool little gadget though and i only have it a couple of hours.
    I had this issue when I installed yesterday also
    Turns out I didnt have a live connection :D:D
    Make sure you are online first and then try it again

eorpach wrote:
    This looks to be a very good gadget and at an amazing price, so for those of us who haven't taken the plunge and purchased this, do any new owners have any advice?

I would mostly agree with what DeepBlue said - if you primarily use this device for what it was designed, internet browsing on a portable device and other web tasks, like email, RSS feed it is brilliant, especially at the price.

Technical difficulties will mostly be an issue when you try to install additional programs (and there are a lot), especially if you are coming from a Windows background and used to installing applications by simply double clicking on them. In many cases, it can be a lot more difficult with the 770.

Still, I've been using it since Monday for the following uses:

1. Internet Access (only over WiFi). The "instant on" and portable factor is great if you want to just do some browsing. Boards.ie and other heavier sites (teamxbox.com for example) load up quickly enough for me. On Boards it can be difficult to click on the next page numbers some times, but no other issues. Zooming in and out and navigating around pages is dead easy, much better than any PDA I've played with.
    2. RSS feeds - this works great for me. I've set up my feeds, connect to my network in the morning, let it grab all the latest stories and I can then access everything to read it in offline mode, during lunch breaks, etc. It's a joy to use this way.
    3. Gmail - via web browser. It works just fine (you may need to enable Javascript in the browser) and is great for checking your mail real quick.
    4. CHM ebooks. FBReader is amazing and makes reading CHM files a joy. You can customize everything, even rotate the display. Setting the background to black and letters to white makes it very easy on the eyes and you could quite comfortable read long, long books this way.
    5. PDF ebooks. Not as easy as CHM with FBReader. The built in viewer is very good, but has some glaring problems, like the inability to move to the next page when you are fully zoomed. Evince is an alternative, which I only got installed yesterday and overall looks better, moving in full page mode is easy but... it lacks a page search feature in full screen, which the built in PDF viewer has :mad: .
    6. CBR/CBZ comics. These work via Evince and the experience is surprisingly good, much better than using a laptop. Problem is, I don't have much memory space and it's dog slow/crashes a lot. May be better with more memory, but I can't tell.
    7. Some simple games are good on it. It plays Doom! There are a few other games, including a Tetris clone that is quite well done.
    8. MSN Messenger via Gaim. Again, a joy to use from the comfort of your couch and typing with the screen keyboard is a lot easier than you may think.

Sorry for the long post, but as you can see, there's quite a lot of usage that you can get for your €130... And half of the points I mentioned (browsing, RSS, email, PDF, etc) are already built in, with no need to install anything...

Overall, I'm very happy with the 770 and can see myself using one until it breaks, or until the 800 comes down to the same price level.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Looking for some advice if anyone can help?

I've got a wireless router with broadband.

I've managed to connect to the network fine but when I try to access the web I get "network error"

I've checked connection manager and it shows:

Internet Connection - home office using link-local IP address

connection type - WLAN
    Status - connected

Any pointers much appreciated??

• Advertisement

HI all. At work. Would someone mind checking the voltage on the power adaptor that comes with the 770? Left mine at home. Wrote a load of notes in it yesterday that I need to access today at work! I have a N95 charger here though which looks like it would work though I remember scanning the battery adaptor on the 770 that it had a very low mA rating. Don't want to blow it. Doubt that would happen anyway but would appreciate if someone could post up the voltage specs (output voltage and mA) cheers!

Advertisement