Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 770 Internet Tablet - €134.46 [Expansys.ie]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Anyone get GAIm working with MSN? I keep getting "unable to authenticate: email address or password is incorrect". Both are correct so have no idea why it wont connect.

I can't get GAIM to install - how did you install it ? Or where did you get it even ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Been using a regular "new type connector" Nokia charger with mine since I got it and it works fine. Output is identical on them all. 890ma 5v

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ibjiba

whisht wrote:
    Been using a regular "new type connector" Nokia charger with mine since I got it and it works fine. Output is identical on them all. 890ma 5v
    Adapters shouldn't be too difficult to switch, just check the output like you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

deadl0ck wrote:
    I can't get GAIM to install - how did you install it ? Or where did you get it even ?

Get Pidgin. Its the newer version of Gaim

Install instructions
    http://dragon-gaming.com/blog/?cat=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

whisht wrote:
    Cheers. Figiured they were the same but after blowing up an n-gage a couple of years back I'm suitably cautious! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

where can i get the link to the pidgin installer ? can you get it through the application manager ? if so where is it ?

O im computer illiterate by the way, so if anyone can help ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

whisht wrote:
    Get Pidgin. Its the newer version of Gaim

Install instructions
    http://dragon-gaming.com/blog/?cat=3

Ok I followed that to the point where I was to install pidgin i.e. Application Manager-> Install New Applications -> Instantmessaging -> install pidgin.

The install box says pidgin 2.0.0-1nix2, 1.7Mb
    After clicking ok the progress bar slides across to 100% and then I get the message "Unable to download. Package not found".

It's off to google I go :( .
    I'm going to try to "become root" first and see if I can get any better error messages.

P.S.
    How does one "uninstall packages" to start again from a clean slate?

weedhead wrote:
    where can i get the link to the pidgin installer ? can you get it through the application manager ? if so where is it ?

Step 2 in the link whisht posted shows where the installer for pidgin is.
    whisht wrote:
    weedhead wrote:
    O im computer illiterate by the way, so if anyone can help ?

Have you found how to get into the Application Catalogue?

From the "Home" screen you click with your stylus on Tools -> Application Manager.
    When the Application Manager window is open you press the menu button button which brings up a menu with the list of:
    • Package
    • View
    • Tools
    • Close

Select "Tools" from that list with your stylus and click on "Application Catalogue" and proceed from there.

yeah am through all that,, everythings grand until i try install the pidgin-protocol-aim-icq. it says unable to download, package not found :(

weedhead wrote:
    yeah am through all that,, everythings grand until i try install the pidgin-protocol-aim-icq. it says unable to download, package not found :(

After reading 17 pages of this thread the answer was on the last post :( .
    mrnoob wrote:
    UPDATE!!! I figured out my problem.. I needed this as well

http://repository.maemo.org
    gregale
    free non-free

Thanks to Yergel from another forum post that I found this from!

Anyway I added that catalogue and I was able to install pidgin and the MSN protocol. Now to see if it works :p .

• Advertisement

got it, cheers for that deep Blue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Okay guys i am having serious difficulty installing pidgin. I think there is something wrong with the application manager. When i try to gain access to the application catalogue it comes up with an error saying "application failed":mad:, i dont know how to fix this, i've installed a few applications no bother but this one's annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

So, what apps do you all have currently on your 770 and how are they working for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Okay guys i am having serious difficulty installing pidgin. I think there is something wrong with the application manager. When i try to gain access to the application catalogue it comes up with an error saying "application failed":mad:, i dont know how to fix this, i've installed a few applications no bother but this one's annoying.

I had something similar happen installing Evince - when you get such an error, it does not necessarily mean Pigdin is the problem. You could be missing one of the supporting files it needs. Try the installation and let it fail. Then, press the "Menu" button on the tablet, select Tools -> Log and see if it gives you more info about exactly what is failing and let us know. You or someone else may then be able to figure out what's missing. I found the log to be a lot more helpful than the generic "Install failed", etc msgs that the application manager throws at you.

quintron wrote:
    So, what apps do you all have currently on your 770 and how are they working for you?

1. Maemo Mapper. Fantastic - no need to carry a map around when looking for places... Really thinking of getting the GPS module to complement this, worth looking into.
    2. FBReader. The best ebook reader I've seen on a mobile device. Essential.
    3. Gaim with MSN protocol. Working fine.
    4. Maemo Blocks. Tetris for the 770. Nicely done.
    5. Doom.
    6. Evince. Dog slow/crashes a lot - might be memory related. Very nice when working, for PDF, CBR/CBZ files.
    7. Vista theme.
    8. Weather widgets - (omweather).

Not a lot of space right now, missed the 1GB offer.... Gonna go nuts when I get my 2GB card.... :D .

Looking forward to trying out UKTube and I saw a port of Ruby and SciTe somewhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi All,

I installed Maemo Mapper, i haven't got a GPS yet, so i was just getting it to do some route planing / plotting and it looked good...

I've set it to download the maps from the openstreetmap repository... I've set it to auto download maps, which it appears to do, but i just get a black screen, no map... when i browse the folders where the maps are there's lots of files...

Anyone else get this to work?

Yes, Maemo Mapper is working fine for me and I didn't have to add any repositories. Just used http://gnuite.com:8080/cgi-bin/gpx.cgi (easier done on your PC), created a test route via google maps and saved the resulting GPX file to my memory card. When I loaded it in Maemo Mapper, it downloaded google maps perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

J-blk wrote:
    Yes, Maemo Mapper is working fine for me and I didn't have to add any repositories. Just used http://gnuite.com:8080/cgi-bin/gpx.cgi (easier done on your PC), created a test route via google maps and saved the resulting GPX file to my memory card. When I loaded it in Maemo Mapper, it downloaded google maps perfectly.

Hi,

Ummm i created a gpx file using the above link, put it on the tablet and was able to open the route fine... but still no mapping...

Did you have to set up a link to openstreetmap or google?

from reading up mine should of defaulted to using openstreetmap, but it didn't..

Actually, I think I know what has happened. If your maps pull satellite view instead of street view (I randomly changed it, not sure how yet), the oceans are black and if zoomed in, it looks like you are staring at a black screen.

Try this: zoom out to like level 12-13. You should be able to find some land then, see if you can scroll over to Ireland and then simply start zooming into to Dublin to download the street level maps. Still looking into going back to the google maps street view (which seemed to be my default). Hope this helps.

Just got it: go to Maps -> Manage Repositories and click Download. It warns you that it may download duplicates. Let it. It auto switches to one of the Satellite ones and you'll see the black screen. Go back to maps and you should now have around 6-7 options. Change it to google street or open street and you should be well on your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

well, im delighted now that ive got it working.had to change the wireless channel in the router settings.. really pleased cause i thought it might be a fault.

now im on the prowl for info again...

1. any way of importing all my contacts from a) my mac and b) nokia 6230i both using bluetooth as the transfer medium??

2. ive been to maemo.org and tried to install some of the downloads. ones with green "click to install ". i then select open and the application manager kicks in, yet the package does not appear in the list.

one download did appear, GNUmeric, but when i try to install i get error message saying "unable to install,some packages required for install are missing "

any help is appreciated..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Tony wrote:
    I've been playing around with this without success, would also like to know how to do this.

i think its here...

click on header tab ( audio player )
    drop down should show "Playlist"
    then choose add stream from playlist sub menu

then type in address of audio stream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Cheers to the lads who figured out using Pidgin with MSN. Working a treat now.

eirlink wrote:
    2. ive been to maemo.org and tried to install some of the downloads. ones with green "click to install ". i then select open and the application manager kicks in, yet the package does not appear in the list.

one download did appear, GNUmeric, but when i try to install i get error message saying "unable to install,some packages required for install are missing ".

I read somewhere that the "Click to Install" option is designed for the Nokia N800 and the 2007 Tablet OS so it doesn't work correctly on our 2006 tablets. Check the application manager log (I mentioned how in one of my previous posts) and see what it is trying to pull -> if the repositories it is linking to are listed as "Bora", that's your problem. You need "Gregale" or "Mistral" repositories.

I have Gnumeric in my app list but have not installed it. I think it pulls from the same repositories as Evince, so try adding these:

Web address http://repository.maemo.org/extras/
    Distribution gregale
    Components free non-free

and:

Web address http://repository.maemo.org/
    Distribution gregale
    Components free non-free

fdevine wrote:
    I got this one.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/12398.htm

Very happy with it. Its branded Navicore, buy says Holux on the back.

Worked out at €48.09 + €14.59 P&P, so €62.68 delivered.

Are you using this with the 770 and Maemo Mapper at the moment? How is it overall? This seems like a nice alternative to the Nokia official GPS receiver, which would run about €112 with delivery from Expansys so I'm looking around for an alternative. I think Maemo Mapper is just amazing and would love to add GPS functionality, just not very clear on compatibillity, etc. Any impressions on your setup would be great. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

GG66 wrote:
    Looking for some advice if anyone can help?

I've got a wireless router with broadband.

I've managed to connect to the network fine but when I try to access the web I get "network error"

I've checked connection manager and it shows:

Internet Connection - home office using link-local IP address

connection type - WLAN
    Status - connected

Any pointers much appreciated??

Anyone got any ideas? still struggling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

J-blk wrote:
    Are you using this with the 770 and Maemo Mapper at the moment? How is it overall? This seems like a nice alternative to the Nokia official GPS receiver, which would run about €112 with delivery from Expansys so I'm looking around for an alternative. I think Maemo Mapper is just amazing and would love to add GPS functionality, just not very clear on compatibillity, etc. Any impressions on your setup would be great. Thanks.

Haven't had the time to get to grips fully with MeamoMapper just yet.
    I know the Navicore reciver is picked up, so it is compatible.
    I was getting the black screen that others have mentioned but I haven't spent that long playing with it or sorting out map repositories.

If I can, I will post back when its up and running fully.

hey so with maemo mapper when you went to map repositories what did you fill in URL Format ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

okay guys, my application manager is no longer working it throws up this error log:
    osso-application-installer 4.22.1,
    UI version 1 apt-worker excited.
    Write:bad file descriptor

That means nothing to me anyway...
    whenever i start up the application manager it comes up with an error "application failed", i dont know what that refers to but it just won't install anything anymore. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Just bought one of these on a whim having spent the last half hour reading this thread. I hope to god I actually use it!

Was wondering if anyone had used it for voip calls?

• Advertisement

okay guys, my application manager is no longer working it throws up this error log:
    osso-application-installer 4.22.1,
    UI version 1 apt-worker excited.

That means nothing to me anyway...
    whenever i start up the application manager it comes up with an error "application failed", i dont know what that refers to but it just won't install anything anymore. Any ideas?

Try going into the repositories setup and disable all the repositories (Edit -> uncheck the "Enabled" box for each one) except the two Nokia Tableteer ones then try again. If it works, start enabling repositories one by one.

Advertisement