Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 770 Internet Tablet - €134.46 [Expansys.ie]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

weedhead wrote:
    hey so with maemo mapper when you went to map repositories what did you fill in URL Format ?

That's the thing, I didn't need to add anything other than clicking on the Download button and it pulled the repositories. I now have maps for Google Street + Satellite, Virtual Earth Street, Satellite and Hybrid and Open Street. They all work. URL format differs for each one but I can post them if needed (just a bit lazy to do it right now). I think the Download function is mentioned as a feature in the Maemo Mapper documentation - I installed Maemo Mapper friom this repository:

Web address http://repository.maemo.org/extras/
    Distribution gregale
    Components free non-free

Can it be installed from other repositories? Some apps can and that may be the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

GG66 wrote:
    Anyone got any ideas? still struggling

change the wireless channel on your router to ch 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

J-blk wrote:
    Try going into the repositories setup and disable all the repositories (Edit -> uncheck the "Enabled" box for each one) except the two Nokia Tableteer ones then try again. If it works, start enabling repositories one by one.
    Man, i'm really sorry about these stupid questions but how do i get into the repositories setup?
    Thanks very much,
    Alan

Man, i'm really sorry about these stupid questions but how do i get into the repositories setup?
    Thanks very much,
    Alan

open application manager
    >click on header tab on very top where it says "application manager"
    >tools
    >application catalogue
    >choose the repository file you wish to enable or disable
    >edit
    >voila!!

Unfortunately the application manager will no longer allow me to get into the application catalogue...:mad: :mad: :mad:, i wish i had set a restore point....
    Thanks for the help though i really appreciate it.
    Cheers,
    Alan

• Advertisement

Unfortunately the application manager will no longer allow me to get into the application catalogue...:mad: :mad: :mad:, i wish i had set a restore point....
    Thanks for the help though i really appreciate it.
    Cheers,
    Alan

dont panic...this happens me often.

do the following

open tools
    >control panel
    >click on tab at very top of screen where control panel is written
    >tools
    >restore original settings
    >keycode is 12345

post back when youve that done

Okay i have restored it to it's original settings, and it's still messed up, :o, is there something else to do next?

ok open application manager again and this time go straight to the application catalogue as outlined in my previous post. select the last http file you entered in the repository and delete it.

it should refresh on closing...if not proceed to delete the next one and so on , one by one till the app refreshes.

DO NOT delete the two nokia / tableteer files.
    they are the first two in the list

a repository file you entered is crashing the app manager program. a simple typing error while entering can cause this.always check your typing .

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

J-blk wrote:
    That's the thing, I didn't need to add anything other than clicking on the Download button and it pulled the repositories. I now have maps for Google Street + Satellite, Virtual Earth Street, Satellite and Hybrid and Open Street. They all work. URL format differs for each one but I can post them if needed (just a bit lazy to do it right now). I think the Download function is mentioned as a feature in the Maemo Mapper documentation - I installed Maemo Mapper friom this repository:

Web address http://repository.maemo.org/extras/
    Distribution gregale
    Components free non-free

Can it be installed from other repositories? Some apps can and that may be the problem.

tried this but after i install and then open a popup appears and says "failed to open or create database files is encryped or is not a database"
    then when i go to download maps its says "unable to creat cahce directory for repository"
    please help brain hurt bad!!

eirlink wrote:
    ok open application manager again and this time go straight to the application catalogue as outlined in my previous post. select the last http file you entered in the repository and delete it.

it should refresh on closing...if not proceed to delete the next one and so on , one by one till the app refreshes.

DO NOT delete the two nokia / tableteer files.
    they are the first two in the list

a repository file you entered is crashing the app manager program. a simple typing error while entering can cause this.always check your typing .
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:, Thanks very much for your help but the application manager is still fecked, and does not allow my to access the catalogue, even after restoring the os...

• Advertisement

do the reset a few times.

if that fails remove the battery and reset again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

GG66 wrote:
    Looking for some advice if anyone can help?

I've got a wireless router with broadband.

I've managed to connect to the network fine but when I try to access the web I get "network error"

I've checked connection manager and it shows:

Internet Connection - home office using link-local IP address

connection type - WLAN
    Status - connected

Any pointers much appreciated??

I think I got this too when I first tried to connect to my wireless router.
    The problem was that I'd entered the WEP key incorrectly so I just re-entered it and it picked up the internet.

Not sure if that's your issue but it may be worth trying.

Edit: Also does your connection icon look like this or do you get a red question mark where the wi-fi indicator is?

6g8te28.png

weedhead wrote:
    tried this but after i install and then open a popup appears and says "failed to open or create database files is encryped or is not a database"
    then when i go to download maps its says "unable to creat cahce directory for repository"

Ok, I haven't had that error so I'm not sure what the story is but "unable to create cache..." sounds like something memory related to me. How much space is free on your memory card? Beyond that, try this: from the main menu -> Tools -> Control Panel -> Memory -> Virtual. Check "Extend virtual memory" and give it whatever you can spare. I've extended mine by 24MB and I have around 10MB left on my card (stupid 64MB!) and it works fine.

Alan, does your Application Manager crash as soon as you open it then? Besides the way Eirlink mentioned to get into the Application Catalog, you can click on the "Menu" button on the tablet (the one above the "Home" button) once you're in the Application Manager and get to it from there. To disable repositories, you don't have to delete them, just uncheck the "Enabled" box (as it is easier to fix typos afterwards and re-enable the repository as you may need it). Hope that works.

I'll look around for an alternative way to get rid of repositories - I'm sure there's a way to do it by browsing the file structure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Sharp

weedhead wrote:

Had this prob its the poi.db file from the previous install, i just moved it to another dir in case and maps downloaded perfectly,
    problem seems to be its trying to create its own poi.db file and doesn't over write the old.

Worked for me.

Oh and thanks J-blk i was banging my head against a wall last night trying to install the other minstral version.

All working perfectly now. :)

Sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Originally Posted by GG66
    Looking for some advice if anyone can help?

I've got a wireless router with broadband.

I've managed to connect to the network fine but when I try to access the web I get "network error"

I've checked connection manager and it shows:

Internet Connection - home office using link-local IP address

connection type - WLAN
    Status - connected

Any pointers much appreciated??

Thanks erlink, changing channel didnt work

deepblue, I seem to get connected alright but get network error when connecting to internet. I get that symbol with a red question mark?

GG66 wrote:
    Thanks erlink, changing channel didnt work

deepblue, I seem to get connected alright but get network error when connecting to internet. I get that symbol with a red question mark?

There's lots of discussion about the issue of link-local IP addresses in this thread.
    It's 9 pages long :( but this post lists what may be the possible reasons for it happening.

There doesn't seem to be a definitive solution and it seems to be a lot of guesswork though :confused: .

I brought my tablet with me today and found I couldn't connect at some open wifi networks and was ending up with the red question mark.

If you're issue is with your own router at home then run down through the list and see which ones are most likely to apply. A wrong WEP key seems the most likely suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

There's lots of discussion about the issue of link-local IP addresses in this thread.It's 9 pages long but this post lists what may be the possible reasons for it happening.

Thanks, much appreciated. Been googling with no definite answers, will check this out. When entering my WEP the keyboard input seems to enter only uppercase letters but WEP is in lower case. Maybe this is the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Thats definitely your problem
    Use the left hand upper/lowercase selector on the keyboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

For what its worth, my WEP is all caps.Make sure you know the hex length of your wep key and select that first. Mine is 26. So, initially, I entered my WEP in caps even though the default option on keyboard was lower case. I had to hit the CAP's lock button each time and take it off to enter digits. I thought that was a bit odd. Not smooth.. When I completed the key with this method, it didn't work. I got a red question mark.
    So I simply re-entered my key in lowercase and it worked straight off the bat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Regarding my query as to whether new users feel this gadget is worth the money, thanks very much to DeepBlue and J-blk for their insightful responses.

I think I'm sold on this gadget now (in spite of all the technical difficulties people of having) - I just have to hope Expansys get it back in stock sometime soon!

eorpach
    J-blk wrote:
    I would mostly agree with what DeepBlue said - if you primarily use this device for what it was designed, internet browsing on a portable device and other web tasks, like email, RSS feed it is brilliant, especially at the price.

Technical difficulties will mostly be an issue when you try to install additional programs (and there are a lot), especially if you are coming from a Windows background and used to installing applications by simply double clicking on them. In many cases, it can be a lot more difficult with the 770.

Still, I've been using it since Monday for the following uses:

1. Internet Access (only over WiFi). The "instant on" and portable factor is great if you want to just do some browsing. Boards.ie and other heavier sites (teamxbox.com for example) load up quickly enough for me. On Boards it can be difficult to click on the next page numbers some times, but no other issues. Zooming in and out and navigating around pages is dead easy, much better than any PDA I've played with.
    2. RSS feeds - this works great for me. I've set up my feeds, connect to my network in the morning, let it grab all the latest stories and I can then access everything to read it in offline mode, during lunch breaks, etc. It's a joy to use this way.
    3. Gmail - via web browser. It works just fine (you may need to enable Javascript in the browser) and is great for checking your mail real quick.
    4. CHM ebooks. FBReader is amazing and makes reading CHM files a joy. You can customize everything, even rotate the display. Setting the background to black and letters to white makes it very easy on the eyes and you could quite comfortable read long, long books this way.
    5. PDF ebooks. Not as easy as CHM with FBReader. The built in viewer is very good, but has some glaring problems, like the inability to move to the next page when you are fully zoomed. Evince is an alternative, which I only got installed yesterday and overall looks better, moving in full page mode is easy but... it lacks a page search feature in full screen, which the built in PDF viewer has :mad: .
    6. CBR/CBZ comics. These work via Evince and the experience is surprisingly good, much better than using a laptop. Problem is, I don't have much memory space and it's dog slow/crashes a lot. May be better with more memory, but I can't tell.
    7. Some simple games are good on it. It plays Doom! There are a few other games, including a Tetris clone that is quite well done.
    8. MSN Messenger via Gaim. Again, a joy to use from the comfort of your couch and typing with the screen keyboard is a lot easier than you may think.

Sorry for the long post, but as you can see, there's quite a lot of usage that you can get for your €130... And half of the points I mentioned (browsing, RSS, email, PDF, etc) are already built in, with no need to install anything...

Overall, I'm very happy with the 770 and can see myself using one until it breaks, or until the 800 comes down to the same price level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Grr, I ordered this on the 15th, at the time it showed over 600 stock of tablets and the memory cards showed estimated 5 days ( I ordered the bundle), Now today, 6 days later I check my order status and its telling me estimated 5 days for both the tablet and the card... even though when I check the link for the bundle it shows 6 in stock... this is really annoying because I really want this soon!!
    Anyone else having problems like this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

same thing for me! sucks big time!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Anyone else using o2 webmail here? When mail window opens it just says "loading" but never gets to actual mail.

ab_cork wrote:
    Grr, I ordered this on the 15th, at the time it showed over 600 stock of tablets and the memory cards showed estimated 5 days ( I ordered the bundle), Now today, 6 days later I check my order status and its telling me estimated 5 days for both the tablet and the card... even though when I check the link for the bundle it shows 6 in stock... this is really annoying because I really want this soon!!

I think if you look at the first 9 pages or so of this thread, you'll find everyone went through the same thing. It seems Expansys stock levels are calculated at random :D... Still, most of the initial people who ordered one, got it so I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Expansys will only charge you when they ship, so IMO, it is not worth canceling the order, but yeah, I agree it would be nice to actually know when you are getting one.

Eorpach, no problem, hope you enjoy it when you get it - my only wish now would be that the N800 tumbles in price soon :). I would love Skype on a device like this.

Bucks73, is Javascript enabled in your browser? It was off on mine and that could be the issue. Gmail has a non-JScript mode, other services do not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

J-blk wrote:
    Bucks73, is Javascript enabled in your browser? It was off on mine and that could be the issue. Gmail has a non-JScript mode, other services do not.

Yeah I saw that mentioned a few pages back so I checked it but it was already enabled. Gonna do a bit more googling now to see if i can figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

ab_cork wrote:
    I'm in the same boat. Just checked now and it's gone to 7 days!

Not easy to arrange to be at home/work for delivery with all the goalpost moving.

Can anyone point me to the correct download for Evince? Tried to load via maemo.org on the click "install now" and it says its missing some libs.. its beginning to bug me as there are a few apps like xournal etc that are missing various libs and I have'nt a clue where to download these first. There are no clear directions anywhere that I can locate so far.. Cheers.

quintron wrote:
    Can anyone point me to the correct download for Evince?

Try adding this repository to the catalogue via Application Manager:

Web Address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras
    Distribution: gregale
    Components: free non-free

Then refresh the package and the evince installer should be in the Accessories folder(?) of the Install new applications folder.
    quintron wrote:
    There are no clear directions anywhere that I can locate so far.. Cheers.

Sometimes the problem is that there are clear instructions but they just don't work :(.

Cheers DB.
    I can see Evince Install package on app manager but when I click install.. it says unable to install. Packages Missing libglade2-0=1:2.3.6
    When I navigate to the repository link you menton its just a file list and I can't seem to d/l from it? ie: it doesn't activate the app manager when I click on gregale for example.. What did I miss?
    Cheers for your help so far!

edit: found how to add above to app manager. have installed i think (?) gregale free and non free. (What happened to mistreal or bora?) Anyway. still can't install evince after that.. getting same error as above about missing lib... [scratches head...]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Lads, I want one, I had a 7710 before is there much difference besides the wifi? (which I have with my nokia n80, but Im not a fan of the internet on the small screen)

And is it worth my while makin an order with expansys, will they get stock?

EDIT: I went and bought 2, one for me and my brother. I hope they get the stock now.

Advertisement