Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Black rock bands

• 30-06-2007 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

are there any ? i don't think I've ever seen one, maybe just the odd slightly coloured singer like that bloke in linken park, are there any full black rock bands, just out of curiosity, there's a fair lot of white rappers these days - does the crossover go the other way ?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Sepultura's singer is black. Can't think of any common rock bands with black members. Why do you ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

There are plenty of bands and musicians, eg Living Colour, Naked Truth, Bad Brains, 24 7 Spyz, Bodycount, Rocky George from ST, Mike Smith from Suffocation, ehhhhh and a fella by the name of Hendrix ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

some how i dont see Mitch Mitchell with an african colour tone.. I think he means like, the jackson 5 and chiq, only more rocking..

Its probably because white musicians have more set rythems, like rock is more straight beats, where as funk and other stuff like the blues takes in offbeats n stuff.. i guess you see more black musicians in other styles of music because lets face it, they play better grooves and play somewhat different music..

Man that sounds so lob sided and racist.. i dont mean to say white people cant do it or what not... i just mean.. eh stfu.... you know what i mean!

Oh, there was some bloke called Phil Lynott too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

feylya wrote:
    Sepultura's singer is black. Can't think of any common rock bands with black members. Why do you ask?

I'm just curious if there was any, never see any blacks on kerrang

• Advertisement

Slash is on right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

God Forbid and KSE? They suck an entirely different kind of A.s-s than most, but they have a black singer and other black members (God Forbid do anyway). But an elusive question remains: why would it matter? I know the post is not referring to any kind of difference, it's just that we must realise that black people tend to be friends with other black people and enjoy a music culture that's aimed at them. It's not just that rock doesn't appeal to them, it's just that they have a sub-culture of their own and would bemore inclined to follow that culture. The whole white rap craze also stems from the PC stint during the late '90s and early millenial period where the media at large was inciting a large experimental mixture of culture because they believed it was the way forward. I personally believe that world is better off with diverse cultures and differences, so long as people know that the diffferences are almost purely cultural and aesthetic and see no reason to conflict violently with one another.

Ehhh, white rap craze? White rap was prevalent from the mid-80's, it's certainly not a craze and nothing to do with any sort of PC drive in the late 90's. White rap acts have been around a long, long time before the late 90's.

As for Mitch Mitchell, as you can see I said "bands and musicians", IIRC that Hendrix band featured a black guy... called Hendrix... and he kind of influenced rock music in a pretty big way, I heard ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

There's quite a lot here;)

Boom boom :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

cormie wrote:
    There's quite a lot here;)
    i can see my house from there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Is there not a massive Black rock scene in the US? I thik its underground because its very hardcore so its not popular and downright banned in a lot of places.
    Im not sure i read about it a few years ago... i think i even read that these bands merchandise is banned on ebay? Can anyone confirm that?

I think you're confusing the Black Metal genre :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,638 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Danko Jones is black. Skin from Skunk Anansie (tho she's mellowed on her solo stuff). CJ of the wildhearts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Little Richard!

And the dude from the Bloc Party, and the drummer from the Libertines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Oh crap, I was really drunk when I posted that crap last night. I should be kept away from the internet when drunk :o Yeah, amazing how I omitted people like Vanilla Ice and his ilk.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

IIRC the guy from killswitch-engage is black

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Drummer from Threshold is also black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Secretpint

Saul Williams.....kind of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭spaceboy

fishbone, although you would'nt class them as an out & out rock band.
    doug pinnik from king's x, now theres a f**in' class band for ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

There's the excellent Tony McAlpine.

www.tonymacalpine.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

MooseJam wrote:
    are there any ? i don't think I've ever seen one, maybe just the odd slightly coloured singer like that bloke in linken park, are there any full black rock bands, just out of curiosity, there's a fair lot of white rappers these days - does the crossover go the other way ?
    bloc party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Tom Morello.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

God Forbid and KSE? They suck an entirely different kind of A.s-s than most, but they have a black singer and other black members (God Forbid do anyway).
    Met the drummer from God Forbid, nice guy... Stood there and said how much he loved Ireland and was very genuine. Then he started going on about how he was half Irish, cue comments of "ya are in yer fúck!". :D

Their guitarist was an asshole though.

Advertisement