Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the least I should spend on a car?

Options
  • 30-06-2007 2:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

My wife is about to start driving. She's going to need a good enough learner car for the first year. What would be a good price bracket. I was thinking/hoping/guessing around €2000, taking into account what she says. She says just get the cheapest banger we can find, that's all she wants.

So, would people say

under €1000 forget it, to risky etc
    €1-2000 maybe
    €2-3000 should get something
    etc
    etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It really depends on how much you know about cars. About 5 years ago, I bought a Nissan Maxima for €1,000. It ran like the proverbial Swiss watch for two years, at which point I sold it for €800.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,279 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I say get a good older car for < €1,000, or <€2,000 if you want. Something safe - a VW maybe? If she damages it on a gatepost, so what. Presumably, she won't be speeding; and hopefully she won't be involved in a serious accident that's not her fault.

If safety is a prime concern (her own safety or that of children etc.), then consider a more modern safe car with airbags etc.

Something with power steering obviously, and have it checked by a mechanic, or someone knowledgeable whose opinion you trust. Don't feel restricted to a mini-type - i.e if going for a VW it doesn't have to be a Polo. Look at the Golf and Vento as well.

It's a piece of string really.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭lizzyd66

Hope I'm not breaking any rules but given that people have said a VW would be good and is in your price range......I'm selling my VW Polo Saloon at the mo - just put it on carzone it is a 97 with 74K miles and NCT until August next year. I'm looking for in or around €1.6K for it. Might that fit the bill? We are in Bray. All the details are on carzone. VW Polo Saloon Bray Wicklow . Thanks and good luck to your wife.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lizzyd66 - place it on adverts.ie and then conduct any further communication via PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭lizzyd66

Thanks and sorry !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ask around - someone you know may be getting of their second runaround and while you won't have any comeback because of the price, at least you have an idea of how it's treated and why it's being gotten rid of

I got my current car because it was to be disposed of, 3 NCT's later it's still going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Ashewood

Just wondering how you got on with this. I have just started learning to drive and haven't much of an idea with cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

under €1000 forget it, to risky etc

Forget that tired old notion that "the more I pay the better a car I get", total twaddle. There's plenty of decent cars out there for learners at small money as long as you aren't a badge snob. On the other hand there's plenty of more expensive lemons out there waiting for someone like you to come along and think "it's €2k, gotta be allright at that money". Price generally means newer, but does not guarantee better condition mechanically.

Judge the car on condition, not price and you won't go wrong. If you don't know enough about car mechanics to do that then get someone who can, you will save a fortune in the long run that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I've come across some absolute gems for under 1000 Euro, I wouldn't shop purely on price, the condition is more important than the age on a cheap car. Buy something Japanese with plenty of N.C.T, that looks like it's been minded and you shouldn't go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Ashewood wrote:
    Just wondering how you got on with this. I have just started learning to drive and haven't much of an idea with cars!
    Away at the moment. Wil be back on 12 August and will start looking then. Let you know how I get on. Good luck with your search. Don't get ripped off! Bought my first car at an auction in NI. Ripped off big time. Didn't even make it home!
    colm_mcm wrote:
    something Japanese with plenty of N.C.T, that looks like it's been minded and you shouldn't go wrong.
    Sounds like good advice. Think I'll start with that. Her sister is in the same boat and got a nice starlet.

Will ask around too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

OKenora wrote:
    Judge the car on condition, not price and you won't go wrong. If you don't know enough about car mechanics to do that then get someone who can, you will save a fortune in the long run that way.

Indeed. Having it checked out is crucial

Advertisement