Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM Charges in USA

Options
  • 30-06-2007 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in California for the summer with my girlfriend. She's having some crap with getting paid until she gets a Social Security number, so she wants to withdraw some cash from her Bank of Ireland current account. She has her ATM card with her.

Will she face charges for taking out €300? Does it depend on the local bank or the currency conversion or anything? Surely it wouldn't be more than about €5?

Thanks,
    Ibid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Bank of Ireland website:http://www.bankofireland.ie/html/gws/personal/day_to_day/branch/General_Content_1000040.html
    Charges for using your Card abroad
    Cirrus/Maestro transactions in euro in any EU member state are charged at the same rate as domestic ATM/Laser transactions.
    For all other Cirrus ATM transactions there is a 3.5% transaction charge with a minimum of €3.17 and a maximum of €11.43.

So she could pay up a maximum of €11.43 for the priveledge. Plus many ATM's in the US to charge a $1.50 charge for their use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

http://www.bankofireland.ie/html/gws/personal/day_to_day/branch/General_Content_1000040.html

<EDIT - You got there ahead of me Buffy!>

From my understanding, the Bank is charged for allowing its customers access to the Cirrus / Maestro network. The laser cards allow access to both, however the ordinary ATM cards have Cirrus only. If you had a credit card it might be best to take money out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Sorry to hijack this thread but whats the current charges with AIB VISA for taking out money thats in credit (i.e. your own money) both within and outside the eurozone (finding it hard to source) as I notice the Cirrus/maestro charges are fairly hefty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

According to a google of aib.ie

EUR1.90 or 1.5% of the transaction value, whichever is greater.

You should confirm with AIB credit cards. The number is on the back of your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Ibid wrote:
    Hi,

I'm in California for the summer with my girlfriend. She's having some crap with getting paid until she gets a Social Security number, so she wants to withdraw some cash from her Bank of Ireland current account. She has her ATM card with her.

Will she face charges for taking out €300? Does it depend on the local bank or the currency conversion or anything? Surely it wouldn't be more than about €5?

Thanks,
    Ibid

Slightly off the point, but does her ATM card work over there? By default most of BoI's ATM cards don't work abroad. So unless she applied for and got a worldwide one before she left she won't be able to withdraw money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Thanks for the help lads, she withdrew the cash no problem. Not sure how much it cost in the end, but we're happy to see a max of €11 from the Irish end. We won't lose any sleep over any charges Washington Mutual charged her for the service.

Eve, it did work. But she brought her Laser with her; seems she uses that as an ATM. Kids these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

A laser card won't work in shops outside Ireland. It has to be a maestro or someother debit card.

Btw thedriver if you're in credit on a visa you shouldn't be charged anything for withdrawing from an atm (bar a minor currency coversion set by visa intl.). However if you're 100e in credit and withdraw 110e then you'll be charged on the full amount so be careful.

Advertisement