Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Broadband steadily becoming even more terrible

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

Barlow07 wrote: »
    I'd love to know how you know this? I've often heard of employees passing the phone to one another pretending to be the manager or a supervisor.

Tech support and accounts told me that the manager Mark left and I dealt with someone called Robert when I first subscribed.
    I've been told the new tech manager is the son of one of the owners.

Deduction, my dear Watson!

Just for sh!ts and giggles here's a speedtest from tonight.

221512730.png

This will be my last post on this thread as my subsciption is going to be cancelled soon - thanks be to Jeebus!

The guys complaining about me complaining won't have to complain anymore...

As for the rest of the folks that have had problems; Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ironingbored

mrplop wrote: »
    Tech support and accounts told me that the manager Mark left and I dealt with someone called Robert when I first subscribed.

Deduction, my dear Watson!

Just for sh!ts and giggles here's a speedtest from tonight.

221512730.png

This will be my last post on this thread as my subsciption is going to be cancelled soon - thanks be to Jeebus!

The guys complaining about me complaining won't have to complain anymore...

As for the rest of the folks that have had problems; Good luck!

I hope you have better luck with your next provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

MrPlop good luck with your new service, I wish it was me....anyway I thought I would share my latest " slowband " test for them who have a genuine interest in this thread.....

222177914.png

took a while to perform, so I got on with my life while it was running.......top notch service as you all can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

mrplop wrote: »

That'd be a Rooney then.

And I can confirm that for a time one Robert Gray worked for the company and was the technical manager - he sent me an email over some DMCA stuff I needed to remove :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭tullachBuí

I asked a while ago about delays in installaion. I ordered last november, and for the past 3 weeks I have been told that they haven't gotten the equipment yet, "it will be the end of the week".

I'm in Limerick, it must mean they are doing no installations anywhere at this rate. They've had no equipment for almost a month! Anyone any experience or info on this. I can't get anything from the sales people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Someone mentioned posting good results too?

Well, I reckon this is reasonable

222885203.png

It was a bit slower earlier today, but right now, I can't argue with this, long may it continue. 3 down 1 up is what we're supposed to be getting, that's close enough for me at the moment.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

I am seeing improvements also in my service, it still varies a lot though, here is a speedtest earlier. I just hope that they can maintain it.....that's the real issue for me....
    223015972.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Your ping is still very high

Hey bigpaddy, my ping is still too high, but at least they have made progress with the speed, my ping also varies a lot, I just ran a speedcheck and my ping is 58ms, I don't think that I will ever get a DSL style ping of around 20-30ms but at least it's improving, I thought it was fair to post the progress that is being made, the ping is too high for anyone that wants to online game but I'm happy with the speed down but still a bit low upload, I should be getting 1Mb up, but as I said the speed is good and and I thought I should let people that have a genuine interest on this subject that progress is being made, they seem to be going through a complete company overhaul, so lets hope that it continues upwards and let's face it they can only improve....but as of now I'm a much happier customer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Well if they keep improving in general they will get unstickied ....just like the monster IBB complaints thread got unstickied when IBB started to provide the service people paid them for .

Bit early days yet though but keep posting good news as well as bad y 'all :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

We used to get pings of 5ms to bluface.ie with ICE.
    Pings to gamein servers were around 25ms consistantly.

But that was years ago.
    Then the ICE we have come to hate appeared.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Was on one of my ICE sites yesterday, and did some checking of what was happening, as there were some very slow responses to specific sites.

Using a very handy program called visualtrace light, I made a very interesting discovery, during the period of time I was checking why things were slow, there were indeed problems, but they were very definitely upstream from ICE, in the glblx.net, and as far as I could see, that's part of the internet backbone service that's running badly, beyond ICE EU gateway server, so while it's affecting the service quality at ICE, getting it resolved could prove challenging. I was seeing close on 30% packet loss at the GlobalX server, and the response times were also varying quite widely, suggesting to me that there may well be a capacity problem in that area.

I've tried to contact ICE, they are supposedly in the process of installing a new phone system, if it works, wonderful, if it's as bad as their present system, they've got big problems.

Anyway, for what it's worth, it seems that at least some of the issues are external to ICE, albeit that the end result still affects the end user.

Steve

And before someone asks, no I do NOT work for, or have any business relationship with ICE, other than as a user of their broadband service.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Was on one of my ICE sites yesterday, and did some checking of what was happening, as there were some very slow responses to specific sites.

Using a very handy program called visualtrace light, I made a very interesting discovery, during the period of time I was checking why things were slow, there were indeed problems, but they were very definitely upstream from ICE, in the glblx.net, and as far as I could see, that's part of the internet backbone service that's running badly, beyond ICE EU gateway server, so while it's affecting the service quality at ICE, getting it resolved could prove challenging. I was seeing close on 30% packet loss at the GlobalX server, and the response times were also varying quite widely, suggesting to me that there may well be a capacity problem in that area.

I've tried to contact ICE, they are supposedly in the process of installing a new phone system, if it works, wonderful, if it's as bad as their present system, they've got big problems.

Anyway, for what it's worth, it seems that at least some of the issues are external to ICE, albeit that the end result still affects the end user.

Steve

And before someone asks, no I do NOT work for, or have any business relationship with ICE, other than as a user of their broadband service.

We came to similar conclusions over a year ago. Though we spotted problems in ICE and outside ICE. We brought it to their attention but they dont have the know-how to understand what you are talking about. So nothing happened.

Is any other ICE customer suffering from really bad pings from around 6pm to midnight-ish? every night? Take a look at mine, the speed is ok but the ping is rendering the service useless to me for gaming......any feedback would be appreciated.

225767527.png

Is any other ICE customer suffering from really bad pings from around 6pm to midnight-ish? every night? Take a look at mine, the speed is ok but the ping is rendering the service useless to me for gaming......any feedback would be appreciated.

225767527.png

Rubbish pings almost all the time.
    When we do have good pings (which is extremely rare). There are big spikes of 250ms at least every 5 secs and a lot of random packet loss too.

VOIP is impossible as is gameing with ICE.

MrVostro, I have also found VIOP impossible with ICE......as for gaming, the other players hate you due to your lag, if you can even get on and when you do you end up losing the game for your teamates, not enjoyable! FPS are pointless due to the lag also, you seem like a headless chicken shooting into an empty space, but on your machine their still there!! They sell a VIOP and gaming package which is a joke. I thought I would post another speedcheck for interested parties to see in case they were considering ICE for gaming or VIOP, sometimes I have good pings 60-80ms, not great but acceptable and very good speeds, but mostly the service I receive is like the picture below, it really makes the whole experience of being an ICE customer very frustrating, I can't wait on DSL them I'm gone if this is not resolved SOON!! I just wish more customers would check their level of service and see if they get their money's worth, I'm quickly getting bitter towards this company, similar to other posters on this thread that have been a customer for much longer than me.....please see the results below.

Come on ICE sort this out!! PLEASE!!

226922806.png

Well Well Well.
    Back to the old icecomms.

No answer on the phone today the either.

229323995.png

I'm having issues today also, I can't post a speedtest as I gave up waiting, I thought I had no connection at all, as it just stayed saying " transferring data ", it took what felt like an age to load up boards at nearly 1am, it seems to tease us with what we " could " get.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

I'm having issues today also, I can't post a speedtest as I gave up waiting, I thought I had no connection at all, as it just stayed saying " transferring data ", it took what felt like an age to load up boards at nearly 1am, it seems to tease us with what we " could " get.

I wasn't on comp lastnight, but from this morning they're normal?????

229503080.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I with Eircom's bog standard package (1Mb? 2Mb?).

I'm based in Dublin 14 and I connect via a wireless connection - the wireless router is in the hall and I am in the bedroom directly overhead. I have never tried to connect via a wired connection - would that be faster?

Anyway, just ran the Speedtest.net test for the first time and got 1737/209.

Not bad, I guess.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Dinarius wrote: »
    I with Eircom's bog standard package (1Mb? 2Mb?).

I'm based in Dublin 14 and I connect via a wireless connection - the wireless router is in the hall and I am in the bedroom directly overhead. I have never tried to connect via a wired connection - would that be faster?

Anyway, just ran the Speedtest.net test for the first time and got 1737/209.

Not bad, I guess.

D.
    Thats a normal result for a 2 meg connection in the countrty man, I'm on 3 Meg and only get roughly 2648/318 or there abouts, also in Dublin 14, its normal...

Nick

Here it is this afternoon.
    Better but still far from what we're paying for.

229630453.png

Still no answer on the phones.
    In fact its over a year since they answered the phone to us or even replied to an email.

Why oh why cant Eircom get their act together and give everyone broadband. We're on an enabled exchange and still cant pass the line test.

spoke too soon

229633806.png

Sh!te again

Good old ICE

229710010.png

What else can be said that's not been before?

Good old ICE

229710010.png

What else can be said that's not been before?

Do a retest, my ice is varying between 1 and 3mb, with pings of under 50 to 200. Still not good enough if last night is anything to go by.:(

The first person who gets through to them should record the phonecall and post it here.

Thats the only way i will believe there is someone there.

I wouldnt mind hearing their reaction to this thread either.

Should have said feck all, now I'm up sh!t creek, shower of wackers. Slow fast slow fast, p!ss off messing, at base.

50716.JPG

:mad:

229885671.png

No point in people getting up at 8am to play xboxlive or PS3 online. I'm only up cause the baba wants breakfast. We want pings at decent rate at night when the critters are sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

A final post script;

Sorry to see you guys are still having the same problems I had.
    Ice were pretty decent about canceling my contract - no €100 cancellation charge and no charge for my last month (practically no service at Christmas) I think they're probably pretty happy to be rid of me.
    I'm now on 3mb IBB dsl which is as solid as a rock - it's not as fast as ICE was when it behaved (rarely in my case) but it's consistent.

I'd rather have a constant service without the worry of terrible speeds at certain times, it's great having pings good enough for voip.

Hope things improve for you all...

• Advertisement

Hi MrPlop, glad to hear that your sorted, I am thinking of IBB when my exchange gets enabled, it's ongoing at the moment, hopefully not too long at the moment, are IBB reliable and stable enough for gaming? As you can see ICE are performing as usual, VERY unreliable, personally my speeds go from sub dial-up to full 3Mb all in ten minute cycles with pings that sometimes need a calender to measure, I suppose this is not news to you....I wish you luck with your new provider and hopefully I can do the same soon, but not soon enough.
    I see they never charged you for leaving, I hope they don't try to charge me as I'm prepared to go to court over this, it's not the cost but principal, for too long we have allowed companies to bully us and it's time the consumer stood up....they probably will be glad to get rid of me also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement