Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Broadband steadily becoming even more terrible

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rightman

MrVostro wrote: »
    Here it is this afternoon.
    Better but still far from what we're paying for.

229630453.png

Still no answer on the phones.
    In fact its over a year since they answered the phone to us or even replied to an email.

Why oh why cant Eircom get their act together and give everyone broadband. We're on an enabled exchange and still cant pass the line test.

Try to be serious and show us the line where Ice sold You constant 3/1 mb connection??
    Have You ever heard about conention ratio??? If You want to claim for ALWAYS 3 mb speed try to switch for 1:1 conention ratio package and know what is the price for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

Hi MrPlop, glad to hear that your sorted, I am thinking of IBB when my exchange gets enabled, it's ongoing at the moment, hopefully not too long at the moment, are IBB reliable and stable enough for gaming?

IBB dsl Pings are 40 to 45 always - certainly acceptable for online gaming.
    It's never higher or lower than this.
    Speed wise it's between 2605 and 2640kbps.

230041827.png

On very rare occasions I would get 4300kbps with Ice but it would drop to 1200kbps or lower in less than a minute, plus my pings with Ice were always crappy.

I'm getting constant download speeds of 350 kilobytes a second with IBB which I'm happy with - it aint lightning fast but it always works.
    Combined with the fact that there isn't a cap and they answer the phone, it's great...

rightman wrote: »
    Try to be serious and show us the line where Ice sold You constant 3/1 mb connection??
    Have You ever heard about conention ratio??? If You want to claim for ALWAYS 3 mb speed try to switch for 1:1 conention ratio package and know what is the price for it...

At Christmas a lot of Ice subscribers were getting speeds slower than dialup and as recently as Friday MrVostro attained these blistering speeds;

229323995.png

No one expects 3mb from a service that's contended but I think the above result is a bit much, don't you?

By the way - what's the pay like at Ice?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Thanks for that MrPlop, please don't be baited by the smart comments, nothing is added by this, although it does give an example of the attitude from ICE towards the " PAYING " customer in black and white for all potential customers to see.

I would love pings like that, it would make my online experience more enjoyable, was IBB easy to get up and running? How long did you wait? Did you have to wait on a modem? If so how long.....loads of questions sorry.

As of 6pm tonight my speeds with ICE were 600k down 200k up with a ping of 300+ms, but it has been on and off completly from thursday with complete freezing of the connection when being used, I'll post the speedtest when I get home, I'm currently someones else's BT 8Mb connection......I suppose I can only hope, I mean it's only 2008.

I received the modem a week after I first called them and it took just over two weeks to get connected.
    I bought a Netgear wireless modem/router for €35 from them which was a doddle to set up.

Good luck mate!

• Advertisement

Thanks MrPlop,

So around two weeks? I don't have that lenght of patience! lol
    I'll just have to struggle on with ICE slowband until I can get DSL....you can keep a watchful eye on this thread and feel " thank god it's behind me ".

Here is the latest result from my ICE "broadband?", as you can see its very early in the morning so it will only get worse as more people start using it, I can't wait to use it at peaks times.....

230221869.png

Got through to ICE on the phone on Monday morning and they sorted me out, VERY helpful as usual when you can get through, every since then my connection has been flying, I'm delighted with the speeds now, just hope that I've not jinxed myself! It's lightening quick I will say a few prayers and hope it continues.....if they could sort out the reliability issue there would be thousands signing their praises, I for one would be one.

Good luck!
    It would be great service if they have sorted themselves out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

Got through to ICE on the phone on Monday morning and they sorted me out, VERY helpful as usual when you can get through, every since then my connection has been flying, I'm delighted with the speeds now, just hope that I've not jinxed myself! It's lightening quick I will say a few prayers and hope it continues.....if they could sort out the reliability issue there would be thousands signing their praises, I for one would be one.

If you cant produce a recording it never happened :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

I am just curious...to all the different people posting in this thread, how many of you actually use their phone service too? Does it still work when your speeds are down as I do not see too many of you complaining about it.

I use the VOIP service and I expect to upgrade to one of their ICEpacks in about a months time when my business starts dealing internationally.

WoW! x2
    thegills wrote: »
    Lads,
    Is this thread now slightly unfair on Ice? Reading the different comments it appears that they are in fact getting better.
    thegills

No, I don't believe it is unfair, they've given a shoddy service to many of their customers and people have a right to be informed.
    pm. wrote: »
    219821342.png

im with ice and find them great value for money €50 3 meg dl 1 meg ul and free land line calls to ireland uk and usa, any time i have a problem its sorted within a couple of days.

That's the package I will likely upgrade to; it's good to hear some positive feedback about it.
    mrplop wrote: »
    A week where the service isn't utter dog turd doesn't constitute a great service.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I can guarantee that the bulk of the folks with a decent service will see it fall apart again pretty soon.

I had five days where my connection was better than good followed by two weeks of sub 56k speeds.

My connection is still below what I should be getting - good luck to the rest of you, I'm canceling!

It seems like your prediction of doom and gloom was incorrect, Mr. Lee.
    Mrplop!
    Its really not to hard to see that You are completely unhappy with this kind of service (many many posts about them..) but I still can't understand one thing - why You're with the service still?
    Do You try to be a kind of sufferer or what? Thats very simple - if service is so bad and You have all of those proofs (speedtsts, phone bills, etc.) You should cancel the service long long time ago... but Your still in and trying to feed up their bad name.
    Looks like th problem isn't in general with the service...

And a second thing is that some people just can't use the internet anymore - only speedtest, speedtest, speedtest....
    Sad,

Hear, hear.
    As stated several posts ago I've canceled and I've got two weeks left.
    I'm pretty much entitled to feed up their bad name - I paid enough for the privilege.
    I think you'll find my problems are pretty much in general with the service.
    The people that get a proper service from them are in the minority generally.

Although I sympathise with you as a result of speedS which are a little slower than you might expect, I do not think you can vouch for every other ice customer.

Why the hell did you change your previous provider if it was so good? One would have to call into question your sanity after a decision like that.

You really need to get out more if your one goal in life is to stop them getting customers. Have you ever been to the Guggenheim or watched the sunrise at the Taj Mahal in Agra? If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen!

You are the first poster on this thread complaining. If I had a crap service from any provider and it wasn't resolved I'd cancel the direct debit and get someone else as opposed to constant and pointless moaning.

Hear, hear. x2

I said the same thing to him a number of months ago when I was last on.

It's like as though Plop's only mission in life is to tell people not to deal with ICE.

I changed my provider because I moved to arse end of nowhere - this was when I became prey to ICE!
    I've actually seen things you people wouldn't believe,etc,etc.

My traveling days are over and all I want now is to pay for Broadband and not get violated in my bottom, that's not too much to ask is it?

ironingbored I'm definitely not the first person in this thread to complain either!

Aren't the threads here designed to help people make an informed choice about the right service to subscribe to?

Normally I'm a happy camper but these bastards have messed my head up!

Didn't like the Guggenheim by the way...

He meant you were the first poster, genius.
    That's your best answer?
    Retorts aren't a strong point of yours are they?
    Your service is okay so sod anyone else that has a genuine problem with their connection, eh?

Did you notice the thread was called 'Ice Broadband steadily becoming even more terrible'?

At least the folks complaining are making true and relevant observations.

Personally I think fanboys are worse than complainers;)

You used the fanboy slur at me a number of months ago, too. Please, originality is always best.

My latest test, I am torrenting and on Skype and Trillian at the time of this test. :)

232437617.png

Must have taken you ages to get all those quotes.

I'm not using Ice anymore - I took your advice Mr sauze.

Looks like everyone using the service has seen an improvement recently so I'm not arguing with anyone.
    Long may it last

Incidentally, good luck with the business !

Looks like everyone using the service has seen an improvement recently so I'm not arguing with anyone.
    Long may it last

Multi-quote is a boon, makes that a breeze. The reading since I was last on (which incidentally had nothing to do with coverage issues :p) was the time consumer.

Yeah, they've a new call mangement system in place and a fancy 0818 number for 'customer care'. I took it down, but I can't find it right now.

I had to call support as the signal dropped a few days ago, got straight through. I even said to them, you're answering the phones now, and the girl practically admitted as much. As it turned out the was a problem in my area, but she could not help me out and suggested I left the router and radio on (after a restart) and that when it was back, it should reconnect automatically. It did, about 4 hours later.

Thanks.

Long may it last

232717163.png

Still shyte here. Missing half a gig up and 2gigs down from what we're paying for.

VOIP is still impossible.

Good luck with the buiness going international kaiser. I dont think it wil go far if you are relying on a reliable service from ice. Especially with your VOIP.

I think you're putting too many eggs in that basket for its track record.

Update.

Maybe they are getting their act together after all.
    Complained to the boss here about our shyte internet connection.

He sent an email to Ice and 5 mins later

232726110.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭pm.

just hope this isnt the start of a bad relationship, i had only got good things to say about ice but know!!!!!!! 232744497.png

What annoys me most is that its not dependable.

OK, they were quick off the mark to fix it today, but why can they just provide a proper service all the time, instead of having to have you complain about it every few weeks.

One of my mates thinks that they give you a great service to start, then periodically downgrade you.

90% of people wont know how to check their connection, so will never be aware that they are on a lower grade service.

But when you bring it to ICe's attention they will fix it, only to try it on again in another while.

I mean if ICE could have a steady decent quality service for any period of a few months and allow us to use VOIP we would instantl upgrade to higher packages and VOIP from ICE.
    But so far all they have done is make us wish to hell Eircom or Digiweb would set up close enough for us to get BB from a reliable provider.

pm. Why dont you call them now. Their website says they are there till 6pm today.

i tried to ring them but guess what....... no answer:mad: in fairness to them they could be one of the best providers out there, they are in a lot of rural locations that other companies wont even think about. ice please listen to the people that post here all they want is what they are paying for.

Good luck with the buiness going international kaiser. I dont think it wil go far if you are relying on a reliable service from ice. Especially with your VOIP.

I think you're putting too many eggs in that basket for its track record.

You may be right, I have O2 broadband as a backup. The only thing is that is messy as I'll have to set up ICS and that means wires everywhere!

FFS

A lesson that has been learned many times.
    Do not EVER think that ICE broadband have got their act together. Because they will always return to the shyte ISP they are.

233225278.png

My boss told me i can post the speed here every day. Just to give others a feel for what service you get with ICE broadband. I will post the speed here often. If anyone is thinking of getting ICE broadband, have a look and see what their service is like. Hopefully i'll have a regular history posted here (apart from when im away) so they will get a really good ongoing view of the service.

If everyone else with ICE can post here too (apart from ICE broadband employees) every few days whether the speed is good or bad that would make an even better cross section.

This thread comes up in google now when you search for ice broadband.
    Everywhere you type ICE, type Ice broadband just for googles benefit.

So if they get their act together and give people the service they pay for then people will see.
    If not people can jump with their eyes open.

The ball is in Ices court.

• Advertisement

233277863.png

still ****e!!!!! custmer support told me it was fixed wtf:mad:

233678956.png

just to report back, i rang ice this evening and spoke to one of the customer support guys tbh he couldnt be more helpful and sorted my connection out, just taught i would shed some light on the good side of them.

Very good tonight. not counting any chickens yet.
    Been dissapointed so many times before.

233716397.png

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

Everyone aboard!!!!!

The dsl train has reached Carbury (Derrinturn).

Only took 2008 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Do you have to wait until March 5th or so for the port to become active? Thats the date they gave me.. excitied and gutted at the same time lol

Welease wrote: »
    Do you have to wait until March 5th or so for the port to become active? Thats the date they gave me.. excitied and gutted at the same time lol

I've just posted in the availability thread, he said right now I can have 3mb.

2 days in a row of proper speeds.

234031154.png

2 days in a row of proper speeds.

234031154.png

Same here, but don't want to have to keep crossing fingers to make sure its okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭bartificer

I'm glad some people are getting an actual service from these muppets.

Here in Maynooth things have gone from bad to worse. To get a usable connection for simple things like downloading OS updates or podcasts I haev to wait till after 2am. All evening the speed maxes out at a little under 50KB/s. Pretty pathetic for a 4Mb/s line really.

Add to that the fact that they continue to ignore my emails and the fact that they continue to not answer their phones. Their service here is utter crap at the moment and their support is even crapper.

Bart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 johnoreilly

I got ice bb installed on monday the 11th feb, 3mg down 1 mg up.
    and its worse than dialup. Ive sent them 3 emails. 6 phone calls by now and guess what, no udpate, no information on whats going on. and it reminds me of irishbroadband all over again. They where the exact same when they started up.

to download a 30 meg file takes over 2 hours. and ping times to the inet are absolutly rediculous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement