Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Broadband steadily becoming even more terrible

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

bartificer wrote: »
    I'm glad some people are getting an actual service from these muppets.

Here in Maynooth things have gone from bad to worse. To get a usable connection for simple things like downloading OS updates or podcasts I haev to wait till after 2am. All evening the speed maxes out at a little under 50KB/s. Pretty pathetic for a 4Mb/s line really.

Add to that the fact that they continue to ignore my emails and the fact that they continue to not answer their phones. Their service here is utter crap at the moment and their support is even crapper.

Bart.

Ring sales (They always answer).

Quote this thread when you get through and

Downgrade to their lowest package via sales and tell them you'll upgrade when you see that you are getting what you pay for.

If at all possible change provider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 abirato

MrVostro wrote: »
    2 days in a row of proper speeds.

234031154.png

Just wondering how much you're paying for that connection. Is it contended? Magnet offer an uncontended 4Mb for €450 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

abirato wrote: »
    Just wondering how much you're paying for that connection. Is it contended? Magnet offer an uncontended 4Mb for €450 per month.

I think you mean €45 a month for a 3mb uncontended connection.
    Unfortunately Magnet and Smart are only available in a comparatively small amount of areas.

We used to be on their highest business package and it was terrible, so we downgraded to their lowest package. Still get the same service and save a fortune.
    I dont actually believe they have different packages at all. Maybe for a week or 2 after you join you might but then they just give everyone crap service and hope noone notices.

Contention is a red herring here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 abirato

mrplop wrote: »
    I think you mean €45 a month for a 3mb uncontended connection.
    Unfortunately Magnet and Smart are only available in a comparatively small amount of areas.

No, uncontended 1:1 from Magnet 2Mb down 2Mb up is €450 per month.

• Advertisement

No, uncontended 1:1 from Magnet 2Mb down 2Mb up is €450 per month.

I don't know where you're getting those figures from.
    All of Magnets home Broadband packages are uncontended - it's their selling point.

http://www.magnetentertainment.ie/nonsectional/faqs.htm#a1

The 2mb home package is €39.
    I don't know if it's 2mb up - upload speed isn't normally a major consideration for the average home user anyway.

You're talking about the Magnet Business’s SDSL service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

I believe he is referring to their SHDSL product found here:

http://www.magnetbusiness.ie/products/bus_broadband_prem.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

No connection at all in Maynooth this evening?? anyone else having problems????

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭dclifford

I started another thread. I had no connection last night. Didn't check it this morning.

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

hamnegg wrote: »
    No connection at all in Maynooth this evening?? anyone else having problems????

No connect in Maynooth at all, the gateway has gone and shat itself since about 4pm yesterday. It's absolutely ridiculous, these clowns used to be very good 2 years ago...Spent an hour yesterday ringing them, left 2 voicemails and go uber-frustrated with the "email us" message..I'd email if the poxy internet would work..why else would I ring customer service's "Service Level" dept:confused:

Today they told us it was server maintenance to improve maynooth capacity and performance but I told them the probable thing is that they need a new gateway because of a hardware failure..gheyness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

I just checked the speed got this from IrishISP, as my connection to Speedtest.net was blocked.:eek:

51517.jpg

I then rang ICE, to turn on my connection and got this.:confused:

51518.jpg

I then questioned the girl, about killing the connection to speedtest.net, and she was :confused:, she then went and rang the boss, and HE said "there is no way we can block or reduce connection to a page".

BULLSH!T

234280744.png

Not as bad as usual but only about 2 thirds of what we're being charged for.

I still believe that EVERYONE should should downgrade to the lowest package and then if and only if you get sustained speeds and quality that you are paying for think about upgrading.

When ICE broadband start getting calls about downgrading then they might get thei act together, because then its costing them money.

My internets only been back since about 4pm today....completely and utterly ridiculous. We're contemplating switching to DSL now over this..

My internets only been back since about 4pm today....completely and utterly ridiculous. We're contemplating switching to DSL now over this..

Don't contemplate - switch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭bartificer

Their latest stunt in Maynooth is nothing short of a disgrace. They've just turned off one of their masts. Who ever was pointed at that mast was buggered. They KNOW who talks to what mast because they can log into our radios and get that information. They also know when our connections are hosed because they can log into our radio and see our signal-to-noise ratio. They didn't proactively do this though. They also could have simply emailed all users in Maynooth asking everyone affected to please contact them. They didn't even do THAT. They just sat there waiting for us to call them. Then they have the nerve to make us wait three to five working days!

More: http://www.bartbusschots.ie/blog/?p=674

How do you know they turned it off?

They told Bart they turned it off.

The told me it was "planned server maintenance". I don't know what company plans maintenance without telling customers about it when there's a risk they will be affected. Nor do I know any planned maintenance that'll require 3 days to fix.

Further to this, ICE's customer service are complete and utter **** so it made it ultra-hard to get a hold of anybody to talk to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I just checked the speed got this from IrishISP, as my connection to Speedtest.net was blocked.:eek:

I then questioned the girl, about killing the connection to speedtest.net, and she was :confused:, she then went and rang the boss, and HE said "there is no way we can block or reduce connection to a page".

BULLSH!T

Your completely right as they can block the website. You should have told her that and asked her to talk to her manager and ask why they are lying to customers as Speedtest.net is up on another connection.

Make it up that you have another line in the house if you want. Then tell them you refreshed the page on that connection while on the phone so its clearly not a problem with speedtest.net.

Then tell them if it isn't blocked there is a problem with Ice and that website that needs to be looked into and request the ticket number for this item. They have to give you a ticket number under law AFAIK. Once you get it, tell them that if it isn't unblocked or if the item isn't updated within 5 working days, you will be reporting the matter to Comreg.

Report it to Comreg after 5 working days and tell them exactly what it looks like and ask them for a ticket number on the item. I don't know if they have to give you one but it can't hurt to get it, just in case.

Longrangedriver...are you able to change your dns settings to open dns instead of Ice's? If so give it a try and see if you can access speedtest.net.
    On saying that, I have noticed over the past 2 weeks thas speedtest has been down a lot from time to time. Maybe this is what you are experiencing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭bartificer

How do you know they turned it off?

They reluctantly told me so. They told me the problem was poor signal to noise and that an engineer would have to come out. At that point I pointed out that on Monday I was told it was a problem with a mast and that my receiver was pointed perfectly before Monday. At that point the technician came clean and told me the mast I had been pointed at had been turned off and wouldn't be back so I'd have to have my receiver re-pointed.

I rang again today and asked to be put through to a manager. No one was answering the phone at support (shock-horror) so I rang sales (and got an answer in less than 10 seconds) and asked to be transfered to a manager. I got put on to a nice and friendly chap who said he couldn't answer my questions because he was a sales manager but that he's find out the answer for me and call me back within half an hour. That was at lunch time. Have I heard back? Not a chance :(

The two questions I asked for an answer to were:
    1) What exactly happened in Maynooth this week?
    2) Is there a reduction in capacity as a result of my mast being turned off?

The manager did agree that ICE should have pro-actively contacted the users who were affected and that it was not good enough for ICE not to book in support calls until people complained.

Bart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You know the biggest problem is they've turned off a mast and are going to put crap loads of people on this other mast.

How many users can go on this new mast? Looks to me like they are about to fook up everyones service in Maynooth area if this is what they have actually done.

brim4brim wrote: »
    You know the biggest problem is they've turned off a mast and are going to put crap loads of people on this other mast.

How many users can go on this new mast? Looks to me like they are about to fook up everyones service in Maynooth area if this is what they have actually done.

It's practically suicide for an ISP to turn off a mast for several days. Im sure they can afford to put up a temporary base station in tandom while fixing the first one.

My money is on that there is a discrepancy with the site they are on in Maynooth, and I bet it was'nt them that turned it off....if you get my meaning!

Christ!

I'm so glad I'm not with Ice anymore.
    They haven't changed at all have they?
    It's all well and good extolling the virtues of Ice when you've got a good connection but when you have to put up with a pathetic connection or none at all it's not fair.
    Call accounts and ask for either a reduction in the next bill or a month free.
    Apparently there's some European commission that wants regulate ISP's instead of the local regulators - I don't have the email address for them but I have seen it on the boards at some point.
    I'd make a complaint to them, Comreg obviously don't care and are pretty much toothless anyway.

God Almighty

Is there no chance at all of these ICE Broadband jokers getting their act together.

Surely they can be forced to sort themselves out.

237907964.png

Ashbourne by the way

No answer from Ice tech support.

Im convinced they dont exist at all.

Still sh!te

237960599.png

MrVostro wrote: »
    No answer from Ice tech support.

Im convinced they dont exist at all.

Still sh!te

237960599.png

:D your ping times are higher than satellite broadband would be :D

:D your ping times are higher than satellite broadband would be :D

It takes about 5 mins to load any web page today.

Surely a company must be held accountable for not delivering the service that they charge their customers for. Comreg dont seem interested in complaints about the dreadful service from Ice Broadband either.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rightman

rightman wrote: »

Hilarious. Those comments are from 2006.

Someone should call Largo foods and tell them to try www.speedtest.net

I'm going to get a bollicking for posting this from the boss but, i'm working late because of the dial-up speed of Ice Broadband so its worth it.

One of the lads did some artwork on that.

I cant even get on to speedtest.net now and it took 10 minutes to upload those 2 files. Takes about 2 mins to open this page.

Remote Desktop is IMPOSSIBLE, so im stuck at work.

Thanks ICE

• Advertisement

238132275.png

Nothing like a quarter of the speed I'm paying for at 3am...

Thankfully we'll be on DSL by the end of next week..never thought I'd be moving to eircom willingly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement