Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Broadband steadily becoming even more terrible

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

BigglesMcGee i m not from ICE would u consider my application :D
    I think they just really dont have a clue what they are doing. They should post someone from digiweb or another wireless provider to teach them.

You know if anyone came to me with ICE written on their CV they would never get a job in my company.

They must all be incompetent if not one of them can show the others how to fix stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

wasim21k wrote: »
    BigglesMcGee i m not from ICE would u consider my application :D

Me too :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Folks, how are your connections just now, mine is not great, a ping that almost needs a calendar to measure....

243818096.png

I'm lucky enough now to have DSL from UTV, it's then you appreciate stability.......what is going on with ICE as sometimes it's amazingly quick, but mostly poor, we get teasers on the speed capability.....then this, so at least the equipment is capable....the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

I finally had the antenna taken off my roof yesterday.

The installer told me that a lot of customers have canceled their subscriptions, he'd already done quite a lot before he got to me - his van was filled with old Alvarion units.

He said that Ice were having huge problems maintaining signals from the base stations and customers were leaving left right and center...

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

Im in a house in maynooth and not only has the speed been crap and the customer service, but the router we got off them has packed up too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Just went to look at their site out of interest, this is their basic package;

Speed 3mb download 1mb upload
    Download Limit Unlimited
    Contention Ratio 36:1

3mb is 3145728 bits per second.

Contention ratio of 36:1 means that the minimum they should provide for this service is 87,382 bits per second (3145728/36) which is approximately 85kbps download, 1mb upload is 1048576 bits per second upload, devided by the contention ratio of 36 is 29,128 bits per second, which is 28.4kbps upload

Now, basically all they have to provide as a minimum connection speed is 85kb/28kb. This is deemed to be broadband. :rolleyes:

However, on the same shiny website you can find this gem;

"Faster:
    Over 40 times the speed of traditional Dial-up."

Poor dialup had a speed of say 19.9kbps (being very pessimistic I think I used to get something up in the 40s), which is 20377 bits per second, 40 times this is 815104 bits per second which equates to 796kbps.

So, technically, they can't guarantee "40 times the speed of traditional Dial-up." because of their contention ratios.

Ice are not the only company at this form of marketing. Broadband is a term that is bandied about all too easily by sales people. Unfortunately, its not a defined term, nor is the term "high-speed connection", an ant is a high speed animal when compared to a snail. ISDN was termed high speed for a very long time. There are many companies pedaling "broadband" and yet all they are doing is selling contended shares in a broadband connection, surely this is duping the public?

Enough ranting from me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭pm.

244196950.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

k99_64 wrote: »
    Im in a house in maynooth and not only has the speed been crap and the customer service, but the router we got off them has packed up too.

I'm convinced our router is either **** or on it's last legs too - supposedly "new" from ICE...psh...

Eircom installed the phone line last week, just waiting till March 26th for broadband then it's bye bye ICE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

We'll be following suit in leaving ICE soon... just trying to figure out who to get to replace them....

ICE suck. I've been registereding sub dial up speeds sometimes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rightman

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

rightman wrote: »

And the saddest thing of all is that with random pings like those you would not be able to use VOIP or games.

It's Pretty pathetic that Ice get staff members to post speed test results on this board, trying to convince everyone that their service is anything other than a complete joke.

Don't forget that the contention ratio has been reduced to zero and the speed has been maxed out in order to achieve this.

After all this the pings are still crap.:D

So all you have to do to get decent broadband from Ice is get a job with them and post the occasional bogus speedtest result.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

same here i m waiting for my phone line and order was placed in November 2007 .:mad: had no choice,
    day when i get my phone line ice:mad: will out of my house in next second.
    Agent J wrote: »
    We'll be following suit in leaving ICE soon... just trying to figure out who to get to replace them....

ICE suck. I've been registereding sub dial up speeds sometimes.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

I think that I'll give them a call about it....

What package are you on?

I dont see any that offfer 10Mbs down and 1Mbs up.

Must be a special staff package :)

Why dont you just shout to them accross the desk in the Ice office

And the pings are still higher than they should be.
    Ice employees can't even get a decent ping even after the connection has been 'enhanced'.

245543019.png

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭dclifford

rightman, your server and distance change between the last 2 days. Did that change you ping value?

Mine, tonight in Maynooth:
    245559142.png

Why is my ISP called Telecity PLC?

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

• Advertisement

245975567.png
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/245975567.png

Even with such a bad pings it's still always on.

I've never seen this Telecity name before?? Have no idea what's that.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Here in maynooth:
    246042169.png

took ages just to load up the test,
    then 10mins to post up here.

this is beyond a joke

245975567.png
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/245975567.png

Even with such a bad pings it's still always on.

I've never seen this Telecity name before?? Have no idea what's that.

Regards,

Strange how the distance from the Dublin server was 100 a couple of days ago - now it's 50.

Weird huh?

If we ignore him he'll go away eventually.
    His constant shilling for Ice is counter productive anyway - every bogus speed test he posts generates a load of real results that all show how crap Ice really is.
    There should be a rule here about Ice employees posting fake results.

246192266.png
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/246192266.png

And mrplop - what kind of investigation is it?
    Few days ago I was in Limerick and now I'm in Dublin so, what's so strange in it??

I'm testing MY connection as everybody else do!

We are all waiting for some posts with Your current ISP and, we're wondering that you've started to U_S_E the connection or SpeedtestAddiction wins still?

About "the rule" - even if I'm with Ice so what? If you're on the lowest level what you can do with the system in gneral? NOTHING!
    Because there are some other, much more important and experienced people in for ex. BaseStations department?

Don't become a fascist - I'm affraid that in couple next posts you'll write that I shouldn't be alive because I'm with them...

Try to understand that I always do my best - even if still not enough..
    Regards,

246192266.png
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/246192266.png

And mrplop - what kind of investigation is it?
    Few days ago I was in Limerick and now I'm in Dublin so, what's so strange in it??

I'm testing MY connection as everybody else do!

About "the rule" - even if I'm with Ice so what? If you're on the lowest level what you can do with the system in gneral? NOTHING!
    Because there are some other, much more important and experienced people in for ex. BaseStations department?

Try to understand that I always do my best - even if still not enough..
    Regards,

You're bringing your antenna around with you and you're not denying you work for Ice?

And you're saying your connection hasn't been improved by reducing contention and increasing bandwidth?

How are you doing your best exactly?

246388151.png

246391815.png
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/246391815.png

mrplop, "you're not denying or you're denying". :D
    I don't think that I owe you any explanations! There are many much more valuable people for discussion in the topic.
    That's an idea to close the topic for hate-maniacs...
    Why do you read it still?? Don't you have your own life and things to do??
    Do you realize that it costs your private time and energy even if you quit ice already.?

"bringing radio with yourself around" - LOL :D - read your words again :D
    I don't care about your opinion - you can even get me to comreg because of that ;D and will post my speed results if I'd like to.

Regards,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 arabianmonkey14

I'm living just outside maynooth and i'm getting the following

Download: 121 kbps
    Upload: 254kbps
    Ping: 631ms

246391815.png
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/246391815.png

mrplop, "you're not denying or you're denying". :D
    I don't think that I owe you any explanations! There are many much more valuable people for discussion in the topic.
    That's an idea to close the topic for hate-maniacs...
    Why do you read it still?? Don't you have your own life and things to do??
    Do you realize that it costs your private time and energy even if you quit ice already.?

"bringing radio with yourself around" - LOL :D - read your words again :D
    I don't care about your opinion - you can even get me to comreg because of that ;D and will post my speed results if I'd like to.

Regards,

Post as many fake results as you want - everyone knows they're 'special' Ice staff speeds anyway.
    Your comments make about as much sense as your speed test results.
    ''You can even get me to Comreg''?
    ''Hate maniacs''?
    "bringing radio with yourself around" - rightman appears to be Yoda.

I don't think you're in a position to question my grammar.

Post away, rightman - you're doing more damage to Ice than good.:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 arabianmonkey14

my.php?image=72051191bu5.jpg]72051191bu5.th.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement