Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Broadband steadily becoming even more terrible

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

The banks can be lazy and not allow you to close a direct debit.

Sometimes you have to threaten to close your bank account to get a direct debit cancelled ... stupid, i know.

But i'm prepared to walk in today and tell them cancel the Direct Debit to Ice or Cancel the whole bank account.

I already have a second Current account that i feed money into every month so they'll know its as easy as piss for me to close the account.

Your initial statement is wrong and contradictory. Way to go!

A bank is obliged to cancel the direct debit, or any direct debit, that is being deducted from your account upon your written instruction. I've actually always been able to do mine over the phone.

YOUR only obligation is supposed to be the step of advising the payee, i.e. the company/individual seeking the money. This is not always done either, and, in these cases, I would not extend ICE the courtesy.

Did you get the deed done after?

jilly21 wrote: »

I tried to cancel my DD but the bank said that if ice asked for it, they had to honour it, thought they coudn't see the DD on my details even though they've been taking it out for months.

im really fed up with them, i have to get my phone line in and that ios costing me 128 euros, plus im paying for somethin i can abrely use...is there anything i can do to get them to refund me and pay for my phone line to be put bk in?...well that is if i ever manage to get thru to them to cancel the contract.

Again, the person who told you that should be reprimanded for not being proficient in their job.

As I explained, you have every right to cancel that direct debit. Insist, do not go away until it is done. Stand your ground.

ICE have no liability for your phone line.
    Sellphone wrote: »
    just spent 10 mins on hold. And then on the button at 9 p.m. The message switched.
    Cannot keep track of the E mails and voice mails I have left. Having been with them for 3 years it is extremely disappointing. The service has gone down rapidly over last 6 weeks. Don't normally lose the head but tonight I did. Going to cancel the SO.:mad:

It is more likely that you are on a direct debit, rather than a standing order. :)

The same advice I've given to the previous posters apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭bartificer

Just a little follow-up on the ASAI suggestion. Don't bother. For full details and a scan of their reply to me see: http://www.bartbusschots.ie/blog/?p=827

Just a few points I want to make:

1) ICE continue to sign people up when they KNOW their service is over-loaded. This totally nullifies and complaints about it taking time to fix things. That's pure BS. If they actually cared about customers they'd stop signing people up until they had their issues sorted out.
    2) The total and utter disgrace that counts for ICE support cannot be even remotely excused by the real difficulties of fixing a horribly over-loaded network without taking it off the air.

There are no excuses at all for this carryon. No technical reasons. Nothing, a part from the in-escapable conclusion that ICE are a cowboy outfit!

Also, they have yet to come and take their junk off my roof. I'm not surprised.

Bart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Your initial statement is wrong and contradictory. Way to go!

A bank is obliged to cancel the direct debit, or any direct debit, that is being deducted from your account upon your written instruction. I've actually always been able to do mine over the phone.

YOUR only obligation is supposed to be the step of advising the payee, i.e. the company/individual seeking the money. This is not always done either, and, in these cases, I would not extend ICE the courtesy.

Did you get the deed done after?

Again, the person who told you that should be reprimanded for not being proficient in their job.

As I explained, you have every right to cancel that direct debit. Insist, do not go away until it is done. Stand your ground.

ICE have no liability for your phone line.

It is more likely that you are on a direct debit, rather than a standing order. :)

The same advice I've given to the previous posters apply.

I think you need to try to cancel a direct debit in AIB, just so you can find out what its really like.

They called me and told me that my DD was cancelled. I told them, i know, i cancelled it and i would reinstate it when they gave me the Broadband it was for.

Guess what? Its blistering fast today. I'll give it a few week before i sign any forms for them though.

Forgot to say, I was also contacted here at boards via PM by Ice. Id prefer if they would just answer the phone when i call them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭bartificer

I think you need to try to cancel a direct debit in AIB, just so you can find out what its really like.

I did. It was painless. I went into the branch. The lady told me it would be normal for the other party to cancel it but since it's my account I can cancel it if needed. I explained htat ICE were ripping me off and that I needed to prevent them taking even more of my money. She didn't argue at all. Printed out a page, got me to sign it and then immediately canceled it while I was there.

That's how it SHOULD be if the people in your bank are trained correctly. Obviously millage may vary.

Bart.

• Advertisement

bartificer wrote: »
    That's how it SHOULD be if the people in your bank are trained correctly. Obviously millage may vary.

Bart.

I agree completely but i've ALWAYS had to make threats to get DDs cancelled in different banks, when i needed them cancelled without the cooperation of the other party.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sellphone

They called me and told me that my DD was cancelled. I told them, i know, i cancelled it and i would reinstate it when they gave me the Broadband it was for.

Guess what? Its blistering fast today. I'll give it a few week before i sign any forms for them though.

Forgot to say, I was also contacted here at boards via PM by Ice. Id prefer if they would just answer the phone when i call them.

Cheers, going to try this. Everything else failed.

See two posts down from the one I quote you on.

You're just dealing with incompetents.

I agree completely but i've ALWAYS had to make threats to get DDs cancelled in different banks, when i needed them cancelled without the cooperation of the other party.

The bank are breaking the law if they refuse to cancel a direct debit for you. I can't make it any simpler.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The bank are breaking the law if they refuse to cancel a direct debit for you. I can't make it any simpler.

I am not quite sure that they are breaking the law but they are certainly in breach of the direct debit scheme. Again one of the many weaknesses of the scheme is that bank staff themselves do not appear to know the scheme and you will never find a printed guide to the scheme in any bank branch for the public to consult - anyone with any complaints or queries about direct debits should contact ipso who administer the scheme and in whose view it is absolutely perfect!!! full details at www.ipso.ie and for the record this is from the guide to the direct debit scheme on the ipso site:
    Cancelling and amending a direct debit instruction.
    o The payer can cancel or amend the Direct Debit instruction at any time by informing their Bank in writing. They should also inform the Originator. All correspondence should be retained.
    o The payer’s Bank will then inform the Originator of the cancellation or amendment.
    o If the instruction is cancelled no further collections are permitted.
    o If it is established that an unauthorised Direct Debit was charged to a Payer’s account the Payer is guaranteed a prompt refund by their Bank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 philyno1

Ice broadband told me i was the only one having this prob till i came across this there full of crap ive rang them for the last month and still noting ,only works for an hour a day sent a gob da out to fix it cause i said i would cut it off still the same i diddnt sign a contract eithier thats one good thing bye bye ice:):p

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

philyno1 wrote: »
    Ice broadband told me i was the only one having this prob till i came across this there full of crap ive rang them for the last month and still noting ,only works for an hour a day sent a gob da out to fix it cause i said i would cut it off still the same i diddnt sign a contract eithier thats one good thing bye bye ice:):p

.....what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rawr

k99_64 wrote: »
    .....what?

I tough one to read alright. I'll use my TXTSPK - English dictionary to translate for philyno1:

"ICE have told me that I was the only one having this problem, until I came across this (thread). They are full of crap. I have been calling them for the past month and still nothing. It only works for an hour a day.

They had sent out a gob-da (a foolish person) to fix it because I had said that I would cancel my subscription. But it remains the same.

I have not signed a contract either, which is a good thing.
    Bye bye ICE!"

Sorry about that philyno1, I just couldn't help myself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kevinx

Cant access AOL.com email, everytime I sign in it kicks me out. I can access this account using the same laptop at work without issues. Whether POP UPS are blocked or Not. Speedtest results are good so the network isn't dropping out..Any ideas anyone?

I found that ICE DNS was finicky, so I changed to Open DNS several months ago.

No problems at all.

in that order.

Good luck!

Kevinx wrote: »
    Cant access AOL.com email, everytime I sign in it kicks me out. I can access this account using the same laptop at work without issues. Whether POP UPS are blocked or Not. Speedtest results are good so the network isn't dropping out..Any ideas anyone?

Id say in this case your problem is more related to your setup than Ice.
    Bring it to your techies at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

So far mine is still holding up.....

278180579.png

More or less stable for the last few weeks......but as you know it could go downhill anytime......I hope not tho'!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

So far mine is still holding up.....

278180579.png

More or less stable for the last few weeks......but as you know it could go downhill anytime......I hope not tho'!

U still with them jokers, man you must be mad. I haven't used they're sh!tty system since February, and I still have the antenna on the roof, and the radio unit in the house, if they don't come out by Friday next, I sell them on ebay. I also haven't had a bill or heard anything from them since January, even though I've done my bit in trying to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Well mister driver......yes still with them.....to be honest I can't complain at the moment as you can see, been pretty good for gaming even......might even give you a chance at revenge on FIFA08!:p

Well mister driver......yes still with them.....to be honest I can't complain at the moment as you can see, been pretty good for gaming even......might even give you a chance at revenge on FIFA08!:p

Ha f***ing ha.:(

• Advertisement

You must be getting it for free or is it because all the others in the area are gone to BT etc.

PS Do you wanna buy some equipment, going cheap.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

About 3 weeks ago my internet was a pile of **** the randomly one night it gets good, near the speeds I pay for here is a few speed tests from the past few weeks.

278801060.png
    URL=http://www.speedtest.net]275360452.png[/URL]

I come home this minutes ago to find:
    279436181.png

Wow, this just fuc king great, look at the sexy upload on that not to metion the down speed. Such a joke of a company, well come to think of it this hole country is a joke once it comes to internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Shaniev

Message Removed!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kevinx

Thanks for your suggestion, tried it last night without joy...aol and one or two other web addresses are still not letting me sign in.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭drunk_monk

Well I've just cancelled Ice, it has been really really bad for far to long. Again last weekend there was hardly any BB at all, when it did work it was VERY slow.
    I complained to them over a month ago and they told me they were upgrading the mast in Tullow and that it would be fixed in a couple of weeks. Well guess what, it's still crap, no BB again this morning.
    There is no other solution for me in Tullow but I'm not paying them for such a crappy connection, I'd rather go without!

BYE BYE ICE YOU SHOWER OF MUPPETS!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Shaniev

I am sorry for my above comment and I have taken it down and I was just trying to defend the Customer Service section sorry!!!

I've just been asked by my friend not to say anything about the program. so am removing the details from this post.

Lets just say Ice and Comreg will be the stars of the show. And there is a massive amount of evidence already gathered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 abirato

Jesus Biggles, that sounds serious. Although not condoning **** service, slow speeds etc., I wish you and your friend would pursue Nestle, Halliburton or the makers of cluster bombs with as much fervour. I also think you've given out too much information and may have blown the programme's cover. BTW, I've been on hold to Eircom for as long as that. You wouldn't happen to work for the people who host boards.ie, would you?

abirato wrote: »
    Jesus Biggles, that sounds serious. Although not condoning **** service, slow speeds etc., I wish you and your friend would pursue Nestle, Halliburton or the makers of cluster bombs with as much fervour. I also think you've given out too much information and may have blown the programme's cover. BTW, I've been on hold to Eircom for as long as that. You wouldn't happen to work for the people who host boards.ie, would you?

You were right, he just read this and emailed me and said as you did, that it would be wise not to post too much detail, so i removed it. Basically he tells me they are planning to show the true face of the ISPs and what a joke Comreg are. They will be covering all the bad isps but Ice will be the star i reckon :)

Ice are so consistantly letting their customers down its not exactly hard to find a customer with a crap service. And this thread is just spectacular.

I wish i could take credit, None of this is my doing by the way. The guy whos doing it is normally very quiet but Ice have just driven him around the bend. And his family have major connections :)

He only told me this a couple of weeks ago when i called over to see how his bb was.

He says all he ever wanted was a decent service and it just grew from there. Once he vented to the right person it just took off.

• Advertisement

You were right, he just read this and emailed me and said as you did, that it would be wise not to post too much detail, so i removed it. Basically he tells me they are planning to show the true face of the ISPs and what a joke Comreg are. They will be covering all the bad isps but Ice will be the star i reckon :)

Ice are so consistantly letting their customers down its not exactly hard to find a customer with a crap service. And this thread is just spectacular.

I wish i could take credit, None of this is my doing by the way. The guy whos doing it is normally very quiet but Ice have just driven him around the bend. And his family have major connections :)

He only told me this a couple of weeks ago when i called over to see how his bb was.

He says all he ever wanted was a decent service and it just grew from there. Once he vented to the right person it just took off.

I hope this comes to something good, as although I have BT since February, I'm still a customer of Ice(Me thinks), I can't seem to shake them off yet. I still have the equipment, and haven't used it since I received the BT modem. My sister lives nearby and she has had crap speeds since October, averaging at about 600kbps DL, on a 3mbit service, and she has VIOP too. Jokers!!!!!:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement