Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Broadband steadily becoming even more terrible

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

281638276.png

281633788.png

281139924.png

I've been getting these figures all week, with ping times varying wildly between 50 and 500ms. Web browsing is also much slower than these figures suggest - sub dialup actually (regardless of what DNS server I use).

Note the times of the tests. I'll give them a call in the morning. If I get through, what's the betting that they try to tell me it's all down to contention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

I guess you never know til a program goes out, but they seem fairly serious about it and are doing all the right tests anyway. Ice are just a big Bullseye for them anyway with their service and the way they treat their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I have removed a number of posts from this thread as they named individuals working at ICE Broadband.

Clearly this is an important thread, so please do not put us in a position that we have to remove the entire thread, by continuing to name individuals.

Thanks

Vex.

Had to cancel the direct Debit again. LEt them call me. It worked last time - for a while. Seems its the only way to get some action from Ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sellphone

I have had it. Pathetic performance again tonight from these guys. Can anyone tell me if there is a decent wireless provider in the North County area, around Ashbourne , Oldtown ? when is that RTE programme going out BTW?:(

• Advertisement

Sellphone wrote: »
    I have had it. Pathetic performance again tonight from these guys. Can anyone tell me if there is a decent wireless provider in the North County area, around Ashbourne , Oldtown ? when is that RTE programme going out BTW?:(

Its not even made yet. If it does it will be a while yet i would imagine.

Great news. Since yesterday phone lines in my area have been passing the broadband test. This morning its hot news and everybody is talking about dropping ice like a hot snot. Ashbourne area by the way.

Is there any way before ordering of checking the quality of BB you will get on your phone line? Im still not sure it will be could quality BB, i'll have to check. But heres hoping.

EDIT
    Looks like what you do is order home starter from Eircom, if it works it works, if not you send it back and go back to Ice Narrowband

also, For anyone wanting to leave ice in the future. Send them an email and a letter telling them to take it as your notice that you are quitting the service sometime after the next 30 days if they do not consistanly deliver the service you paid for. Say in it that you will just cease the DD and to take that as confirmation that you no longr require their service. You have given 30 days, or however long since you have written to them elling them that you are quitting.
    As long as you have logged 1 complaint 30 days after the first letter you are covered as having given them notice.

So when you do get BB somewhere else just cut ICE of straight away.

I checked, its legal. You've given them the required notice. If they dont cooperate tell them to go to Comreg :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mjedl

dub45 wrote: »
    For anyone dissatisfied with a service and intending to break a contract it would be very important to have a record that you reported the poor quality service to the isp concerned and gave them a chance to fix it - if you do not do this then you wont have a leg to stand on if it comes to breaking a contract. And by record I mean emails or memoed phone calls and a note of who you spoke with etc.

Which you won't have unless you can talk or email to someone in Customer services:confused:

Mjedl wrote: »
    Which you won't have unless you can talk or email to someone in Customer services:confused:

Im sure there is noone in this thread who doesnt have a phone bill as long as their arm with Ices customer service number on it for hours.

Or who doiesnt have a heap of unanswered emails sent to Ice about their service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Mjedl wrote: »

Send an email to Ice requesting your issue to be logged on their helpdesk system and CC Comreg on the email.

If they don't reply in 5 days, email Comreg with a complaint and request a number.

If they do reply with a number and the issue isn't resolved in 5 days, log with Comreg and request ticket number.

Inform Ice that since the issue wasn't resolved in 5 working days, you have lodged a complaint against them with Comreg but that you wish to cancel the contract since they haven't made an attempt to resolve the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

Whats comreg's email pls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

www.comwreck.com

find it there xD

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Still cant complain, ping goes long sometimes, but never as bad as it used to be also the occasional jumps in packet loss but not really noticeable........I'm just praying this continues.

283921578.png

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

Mines been alrite past few weeks, only been 1 day that it was ****e, heres a test from this afternoon

284635301.png

285117590.png
    Hope this lasts but probally be back to the same **** next week, getting great pings as you can see, 37 ms in WoW when I was doing that test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

i have seen great speeds though not as much as above

Speeds good here. ive been asked to reinstate my direct debit :)
    Havent heard anything from Eircom yet.

On the prime time thing, the guy has great service now. They are continuing to monitor it though and have also got in on some of his neighbours Ice services which are still dire and are monitoring them.

These are on the Rolestown and Ashbourne masts. 90% of the people ive spoken to have terrible service still.

I am on the Rolestown mast and just seems to be going up and down constantly. Last I heard from ICE they were sending a field engineer out to me for an on site survey, that was a week ago and have not heard anything since. These are the results from 5 mins ago:-

Speed test statistics
    Download speed: 651032 bps
    Upload speed: 362888 bps
    Quality of service: 94 %
    Download test type: socket
    Upload test type: socket
    Maximum download pause: 109 ms
    Average download pause: 22 ms
    Minimum round trip time to server: 20 ms
    Average round trip time to server: 49 ms

VoIP test statistics
    Jitter: you --> server: 0.6 ms
    Jitter: server --> you: off
    Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
    Packet loss: server --> you: off
    Packet discards: 0.0 %
    Packets out of order: 0.0 %
    Number of supported VoIP lines: 6
    Estimated MOS score: 4.2

Just what I expected, it was too good to be through, was getting great speeds past 2 weeks, come back from the shops its total ****, speed test wont even work all I got was a ping of 999 and a down speed of 32 kpbs. Upload wont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

Limerick County Council have got Ice Broadband to supply county wide broadband coverage.

if Ice Can't even supply there currwent clientbase what chance do all the poor people in Limerick county have :mad:They are all Doomed:mad:

Why did they pick one of the worst wireless Broadband Supplyers in Ireland:confused:

Much of County Limerick will shortly be able to avail of high quality wireless broadband services courtesy of a pilot initiative by Limerick County Council.

The local authority's Water Services Section recently entered a licence agreement with Ice Broadband allowing access to Council owned water towers to install broadband equipment

Minister of State Peter Power launched the telecommunications company's wireless broadband service, which is expected to be fully available throughout the county by the end of June.
    Advertisement

Limerick County Council first mooted its plan to establish countywide broadband service in March 2007 when it invited submissions from broadband providers interested in using its network of 55 water towers to transmit wireless signals.

A Limerick County Council spokesperson stated: 'This is part of a pilot initiative by Limerick County Council and Ice Broadband to improve broadband coverage in the county and particularly in rural areas that have limited or no service.

'With the final installation of equipment scheduled for the end of June it is hoped that these wireless broadband services will be available throughout the county,' the spokesperson added.

Speaking in Limerick at the launch of Ice Broadband's 100% coverage service for Limerick county and city, company chairman Fran Rooney said local authorities across the country should follow Limerick's example, taking the initiative and working closely with companies that can provide immediate wireless solutions.

'We can offer 100% coverage for the whole Limerick region because of the support of Limerick County Council and I would urge other local authorities to adopt a similar approach. As county councils know, the provision of quality broadband is essential for the development of businesses and jobs in their communities, and could place Ireland as the broadband leader in Europe,' he said.

Ice Broadband is also offering a range of products to customers including a group discount for members of sports clubs and voluntary organisations that sign up to their services.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Jenniferhough

Sellphone wrote: »
    And another thing. they went through a brief period of sending text messages telling you the service had a problem, mind you that was only after I suggested it to them.
    This could be so great if they :mad:if they put their minds to it!

Just wondering if you are sill experiencing problems with ICE? Get in touch if so!

Just wondering if you are sill experiencing problems with ICE? Get in touch if so!

Mine is still about a fifth of what it should be. And thats as good as it gets for us with Ice. Was in a neigbours house yesterday and they are getting download speed of 88 kb/s (that bits) when they should be getting 3000.

Im still waiting on Eircom to get their act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

This is Icebraodband speedtest in Limerick area 2 meg package

289923847.png

Very bad speed and high ping. Computer is wired to the antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,535 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

290353700.png

Terrible speed tonight in Murroe, Co Limerick and I'm about a half mile max from local ice antenna

i cancelled ICE in may as i was moving away from the house
    till now the guys have not taken the antenna from home
    the free is net is going on.

the landlord is behind me
    i have sent emails, called them and left voicemails
    cant reach any human on phone

not sure what to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 redelephant

i cancelled ICE in may as i was moving away from the house
    till now the guys have not taken the antenna from home
    the free is net is going on.

the landlord is behind me
    i have sent emails, called them and left voicemails
    cant reach any human on phone

not sure what to do?

I had the same problem and I contacted Comreg - within 48 hrs i had a call from ICE (after weeks of me trying to contact them and me cancelling direct debit) and a few days later the aerial was removed - so contact comreg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭bartificer

I had the same problem and I contacted Comreg - within 48 hrs i had a call from ICE (after weeks of me trying to contact them and me cancelling direct debit) and a few days later the aerial was removed - so contact comreg

I'll second that. It took me longer than 48 hours, but with ComReg involved I was able to get them to come out and remove their junk. When ever the do come, make sure you're home to supervise. The engineer I got wanted to only take the receiver and leave the bracket and the pole on my roof. I actually had to argue with him to take it all down. After three reasoned requests that he take it all I actually had to raise my voice for him to understand that it was not a request! I didn't shout, or loose the head (outwardly) but some serious assertiveness was required.

Good luck!

Bart.

This is my Speedtest from about 10 mins ago
    Engineer was here, went great up until tonight, and their customer service mail address is now bouncing mails back. Probably oveflowing.:mad:

Speed test statistics
    Download speed: 504464 bps
    Upload speed: 305264 bps
    Quality of service: 37 %
    Download test type: socket
    Upload test type: socket
    Maximum download pause: 174 ms
    Average download pause: 29 ms
    Minimum round trip time to server: 39 ms
    Average round trip time to server: 52 ms

VoIP test statistics
    Jitter: you --> server: 1.4 ms
    Jitter: server --> you: off
    Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
    Packet loss: server --> you: off
    Packet discards: 0.0 %
    Packets out of order: 0.0 %
    Number of supported VoIP lines: 5
    Estimated MOS score: 4.1

bartificer wrote: »
    I'll second that. It took me longer than 48 hours, but with ComReg involved I was able to get them to come out and remove their junk. When ever the do come, make sure you're home to supervise. The engineer I got wanted to only take the receiver and leave the bracket and the pole on my roof. I actually had to argue with him to take it all down. After three reasoned requests that he take it all I actually had to raise my voice for him to understand that it was not a request! I didn't shout, or loose the head (outwardly) but some serious assertiveness was required.

Good luck!

Bart.

how to contact comreg?
    is it from their website?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭bartificer

how to contact comreg?
    is it from their website?

Their phone number is on their website. I just rang that and they started a case history for me which I kept updated so they had the full story. TBH I'm not sure you need to actually contact ComReg, just telling ICE that you are and asking for a reference number for your case will probably work just as well.

Bart.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement