Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Broadband steadily becoming even more terrible

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fuzzy Clam, infraction & warning given for personal abuse...anymore and it'll be a ban

BigglesMcGee, infraction given for back seat modding, if you have an issue with a poster then use the report post option,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Cabaal wrote: »
    Fuzzy Clam, infraction & warning given for personal abuse...anymore and it'll be a ban

BigglesMcGee, infraction given for back seat modding, if you have an issue with a poster then use the report post option,

Was i modding?

I thought i was just telling him he wasnt helping so i wouldnt mind if he left the conversation. I didnt want to be so petty as to report a post for someone babbling sh!te.

Apologies if thats considered modding.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

bartificer wrote: »
    Apologies. You're not a retard. You're just a pedant. Derailing this thread for some wordplay has clearly been very helpful to other less technical readers. They have clearly learned a lot from you arguments.

You clearly are smarter than me. You have clearly added more to this discussion than I have.

I blow to your superiority.

Best post ever!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Mikebyrne

A couple will be keeping Ice though as Prime time are following their efforts still.

Not a moment too soon.

What are Primetime looking into??

Mikebyrne wrote: »
    What are Primetime looking into??

They are looking into the bad customer service and poor service from Ice as well as what Comreg do to help people who complain to them.

I cant really say anymore. i was warned before

• Advertisement

They are looking into the bad customer service and poor service from Ice as well as what Comreg do to help people who complain to them.

I cant really say anymore. i was warned before

Feel free to pm me with the details!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kcimyddap

I had to cancel direct debit to get ice to contact me. for over 3 months broadband speeds have been under 500kbs sometimes under 100kbs.
    the only time the speeds were up to what they should be was after i cancelled direct debit.
    i have sent at least 25 emails to customer services and not received one reply.
    when i eventually get through to customer services on the phone i am told that they are having problems with base station in lispopple in swords.Has any one else having same probs.
    they can't even tell me when it will be fixed it is over a month now since they came out with this excuse?

Don't know how these stay in business.
    Have not a clue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kcimyddap

The worst company ever. have been told that problems with mast in lispopple and that they have no more info available on when it will be fixed.
    They dont reply to emails and you have to wait at least 20 mins to get through on phone.
    the only way ice will contact you is if you cancel direct debit
    Does anyone know of an other service provider in garristown area.
    Why are they so bad surely it can't be that hard to provide this service
    Have complained to comreg today, will see if this makes any difference.
    Only good thing is that they are not getting any money off me as they have not processed direct debit again.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 HaloJazz

Not sure if anyone has noticed but Bart seems to like to moan... i respect the issues he's had but he canceled his service according to his posts... sounds to me like he's flogging a dead cat..... if you have canceled stop moaning.... people get the hint that your not happy from your blog folks know you not happy with them but is it the attention you crave or are you just lonely..... way i see it is if your not happy cancel.... no point lingering on it.... I hope Biggles has cancelled becasue he/she seems to be very unhappy. If he is still with them then clearly he, like Bart likes a good moan.... Lads.... take up a hobbie.... go fishing or better still ... MOVE BROADBAND PROVIDER..... i equired about getting ICE and i decided not to take them due to this thread... I think you have givin the message.... time to move on guys

I know this post will be read and like most you will abuse me and tell me to mind my own because god forbid i should go against your own personal views. It seems to me that if 1 person comes on this thread and says 'i have good speeds' you knock then down... some 'forum for free chat' this is....

There are plenty of other BB providers in Ireland that can service your area's so just go with them....

I see you all posting your slow speeds on this... dont see you posting them when they are good!

If youa re unhappy with a service dont moan.... I checked ICE BB coverage in Ireland and they cover area's besides Ashbourne and Maynooth... I dont see all their other customers coming on here complaining........ Maybe, just maybe, heaven forbid, there are happy ICE BB customers out there.... how about talking to them... or how about accepting the fact that they can offer good BB in other area's bar yours.

You are all a bunch of moaning grannies with nothing better to do.... you may be techies and you may be 'concerned' for other people but to me you just have nothing better to do.... This has to be the most dragged out thread on boards and its just full of the same people repeating themselves over and over and over and over again....

How about going out and making some real friends... you know people... ones that dont sit at pc's all day... ones that actually have a conversation about current affairs not the current status of your ICE BB connection!!

This post isnt meant to be abusive its just meant to say ' Shut up and move on'

I cant wait to hear the abuse i get back for this.... as another thing i have noticed is that some people on this i.e Bart take offence to everything and follow up by trying to insult others intelligence and by making them out to be ALWAYS wrong.... It must be such a chore always being right

Bring on the back lash ....:p

HaloJazz wrote: »
    ... MOVE BROADBAND PROVIDER.....

Read the thread. Pay attention to the places where people are trying to get an alternative.
    There are plenty of other BB providers in Ireland that can service your area's so just go with them....

Again, Read the thread.
    I see you all posting your slow speeds on this... dont see you posting them when they are good!

Read the thread. Pay attention to where people say that their speed is fine at last, only to post again a day or 2 later to say its sh!te again.
    If youa re unhappy with a service dont moan.... I checked ICE BB coverage in Ireland and they cover area's besides Ashbourne and Maynooth... I dont see all their other customers coming on here complaining........ Maybe, just maybe, heaven forbid, there are happy ICE BB customers out there.... how about talking to them... or how about accepting the fact that they can offer good BB in other area's bar yours.

Read the thread. Pay attention to people posting from other areas.
    This has to be the most dragged out thread on boards and its just full of the same people repeating themselves over and over and over and over again....

And it would all stop if Ice got their act together. The fact that its still active tells you a lot about how bad Ice Broadband are.
    How about going out and making some real friends... you know people... ones that dont sit at pc's all day... ones that actually have a conversation about current affairs not the current status of your ICE BB connection!!

Read the thread. Pay particular attention to business users who need BB for work and cant work properly with Ice Broadband.
    This post isnt meant to be abusive

Of course it is.

By the way. Are you posting from an ICE Broadband IP address?
    And why were you PMing me all last week slyly trying to find out who my neighbors are who have Ice Broadband? Perhaps trying to find out whos BB Prime Time are monitoring ?

Bring on the denials

And you're welcome for all the help the moanie grannies gave you too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭bartificer

Don't ya just love random personal attacks. Yes, I have no freinds. In fact, I am so insanely lonely that if it wasn't for boards I'd probably have topped myself. In fact, I might as well do that anyway.

Obvioulsy what society needs is for everyone to be totally self-centred and to only care about corporate fraud when you are suffering. Every man for himself is the way to go clearly.

Who would want to see an Ireland where people are not constantly defraused, I mean come on!

Bart.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

bartificer wrote: »
    Don't ya just love random personal attacks. Yes, I have no freinds. In fact, I am so insanely lonely that if it wasn't for boards I'd probably have topped myself. In fact, I might as well do that anyway.

Obvioulsy what society needs is for everyone to be totally self-centred and to only care about corporate fraud when you are suffering. Every man for himself is the way to go clearly.

Who would want to see an Ireland where people are not constantly defraused, I mean come on!

Bart.

I'd ignore HaloJazz.

I'd say he's an Ice employee sockpuppet trying to cause trouble - hopefully Prime Time will highlight the fact Ice employess have posted fake speed test results here in the past.

Anyone that's paying money for a crap service is well within their rights to moan and prevent others from falling into the same trap.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Comments like this are unhelpful and pointless, do your re-search in relation to Broadband availability in Ireland and you'll find anyone who gets wireless generally can't get other types of Broadband such as DSL or cable.

People complain when their unhappy..imagine that

Not your place to tell people to shut up,

Infraction given for acting the muppet

Cabaal,

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

kcimyddap wrote: »
    when i eventually get through to customer services on the phone i am told that they are having problems with base station in lispopple in swords.Has any one else having same probs.
    they can't even tell me when it will be fixed it is over a month now since they came out with this excuse?

Dont believe these so called base station issues - I was fobbed off with that for months. Its become the standard reply along with that the guys who look after the base station side only work Monday - Friday so if the engineer is at your house on the Saturday theres nothing they can do and no one they can phone. All just meant to string you along with the false hope that the problems will be fixed in the next month, or the month after that or the month after that and so on.

Just an aside I've noticed some people querying the fees for cancelling inside the first year or two years (depending on the contract you signed up to). I had the same thing crop up and simply sent a mail with an attachment of speedtest results, the list of phone calls and previous emails sent to support informing them they had failed to provide the service I was paying for and I considered them in breach of contract. As such I would not be paying any 'installation' fee or any other money to them and to come and take their equipment. Also cancelled the direct debits at the bank on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

Not sure if anyone has noticed but Bart seems to like to moan... i respect the issues he's had but he canceled his service according to his posts... sounds to me like he's flogging a dead cat..... if you have canceled stop moaning.... people get the hint that your not happy from your blog folks know you not happy with them but is it the attention you crave or are you just lonely..... way i see it is if your not happy cancel.... no point lingering on it.... I hope Biggles has cancelled becasue he/she seems to be very unhappy. If he is still with them then clearly he, like Bart likes a good moan.... Lads.... take up a hobbie.... go fishing or better still ... MOVE BROADBAND PROVIDER..... i equired about getting ICE and i decided not to take them due to this thread... I think you have givin the message.... time to move on guys

I know this post will be read and like most you will abuse me and tell me to mind my own because god forbid i should go against your own personal views. It seems to me that if 1 person comes on this thread and says 'i have good speeds' you knock then down... some 'forum for free chat' this is....

You are all a bunch of moaning grannies with nothing better to do.... you may be techies and you may be 'concerned' for other people but to me you just have nothing better to do.... This has to be the most dragged out thread on boards and its just full of the same people repeating themselves over and over and over and over again....

I cant wait to hear the abuse i get back for this.... as another thing i have noticed is that some people on this i.e Bart take offence to everything and follow up by trying to insult others intelligence and by making them out to be ALWAYS wrong.... It must be such a chore always being right

Bring on the back lash ....:p

Ok if you want an area besides Ashbourne and Maynooth, We deal with a customer who has a Ice Braodband connection in Limerich and it has the same speed and pin issues as all the rest and up to recently a tracert was going straight over eircom. So don't tell me that it is only two base stations who have there issue

Here is the tracert see for you self

Tracing route to 62.17.136.215 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 166 ms 158 ms 159 ms as1.cty.limerick.eircom.net [159.134.238.175]

2 159 ms 144 ms 152 ms 159.134.248.74

3 159 ms 148 ms 159 ms 83.71.115.221

4 223 ms 216 ms 220 ms 83.71.115.67

5 164 ms 148 ms 156 ms FastEthernet4-0-0.BR1.DUB2.Alter.net [193.242.111.37]

6 157 ms 158 ms 159 ms ge-3-2-0.XR1.DUB2.ALTER.NET [158.43.152.33]

7 151 ms 154 ms 163 ms GigabitEthernet0-0.GW6.DUB2.ALTER.NET [158.43.253.2]

8 163 ms 152 ms 150 ms 212.120.134.254

9 170 ms 171 ms 187 ms 62.17.136.215

275726906.png

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sellphone

I had to cancel direct debit to get ice to contact me. for over 3 months broadband speeds have been under 500kbs sometimes under 100kbs.
    the only time the speeds were up to what they should be was after i cancelled direct debit.
    i have sent at least 25 emails to customer services and not received one reply.

Have not a clue
    Your experience is almost a carbon copy of mine with this shower. 2 weeks ago I got the yarn about the Lispopple Mast, still no better, but wait for it, I got a reply to an E mail, albeit an automated one, this week. Not paying them for August either.I have 2 current accounts and just before the due date, I make sure I have not got enough funds there to pay them, This worked last month and I got a mail from their debt collection agency. Gave them my history with ICE and they replied that they would not be looking for the July payment .And so it goes on and on and on........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Have not a clue
    That's easy. Captive audience. I and most other customers here would have given up on these guys by now if I had any realistic alternative. At the moment, they only need to be faster than very bad dialup to be my best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Shaniev

funny funny

Ice was great at the weekend. I was going to post to say that it looks like they have got their act tohether, but after about 20 false starts where it went back to sh!te after a few days i decided to wait and see for a few days.
    Well today its barely better than dialup again. ICE Broadband, true to form are back to their crap service again after only 3 days of good service in the last 6 months.

Id just like to echo the comments on how Ice stay in business. Its solely because their customers cant get BB elsewhere.

I mean if you look at Ices prices they are outrageous compared to other broadband providers. There is no way anyone would pay that if they could get an alternative.

I cant wait til Eircom sort themseles out here (soon). There will be a mass exodus from Ice. As Eircom extend their reach in the future Ice will suffer badly. They have not treated their customers well at all and will pay for this in the end.

All Ice have to do is buy more backhaul and radio equipment when their ciustomer numbers rise above a certain amount in an anrea. They dont do this but are happy to overload their service and take peoples money.

Its after midnight now and look at this for crap speed.

42.6K - Slower than dialup.

Speed test statistics
    Download speed: 42672 bps
    Upload speed: 602336 bps
    Quality of service: 4 %
    Download test type: socket
    Upload test type: HTTP
    Maximum download pause: 2463 ms
    Average download pause: 543 ms
    Minimum round trip time to server: 16 ms
    Average round trip time to server: 616 ms

• Advertisement

And for a laugh - Read this page

http://www.icebroadband.com/dev/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=62&Itemid=64

I've highlighted some of it here.

Complaint handling process

The following steps apply to all complaints received by Ice Broadband:
    1. Initial contact by customer
      • Complaints are received by phone, e-mail, web or letter.
    2. Acknowledgement of complaint
      • All complaints will be acknowledged within two working days. Phone complaints are acknowledged immediately on receipt of the call by Ice Broadband's customer care representative.
    3. Investigation of the complaint
      • Ice Broadband aims to resolve all complaints within the shortest possible timeframe. In many cases, the complaint can be resolved at the initial point of contact. However, where this is not possible the complaint is escalated to the relevant department within Ice Broadband.
    4. Internal escalation of complaint
      • Ice Broadband aims to resolve all complaints within the following indicative timescales. The following applies to all complaints which are identified to be the responsibility of Ice Broadband or as a result of a failure in Ice Broadband's network.
                    1. Billing
                      • Complaints and queries relating to billing issues will be resolved within 5 working days.
                    2. Installation
                      • Ice Broadband aims to resolve any complaints regarding installation within 10 working days. All customer installations have a seven day cooling-off period before contractual terms apply. During this period, customers can cancel their agreement with Ice Broadband with no further obligation.
                    3. Service Degradation
                      • Ice Broadband constantly monitors the quality of our network and the quality of all customer connections. Ice Broadband aims to resolve all customer service degradation issues within 5 working days.
                    4. Repair
                      • Ice Broadband aims to repair all customer connectivity faults within 5 working days.
                    5. Other
                      • all other complaints will be resolved within 10 working days.

[*]

[*]Notification of resolution of the complaint
                • Once a complaint is rectified, you will be contacted by a customer care representative to ensure that the fault has been resolved to the satisfaction of the customer. Faults will only be closed with agreement of you, the customer. A record of the complaint and of the resolution will be maintained on Ice Broadband's customer database for a minimum period of 12 months.
                [*]Disconnection Policy
                • Ice Broadband offers the best value proposition in the market and in return we expect payment for our services on or before the date specified on the bill.
                  If the account is not paid by the due date without prior notice Ice Broadband may restrict the ability to use your Broadband service and also to make and receive calls. Before restricting service, reasonable efforts will be made to contact you to remind you that your bill is overdue.
                  Details regarding termination/disconnection of service are outlined in our terms and conditions
                  Please view our Terms and Conditions

I mean if you look at Ices prices they are outrageous compared to other broadband providers. There is no way anyone would pay that if they could get an alternative.

I disagree with that one element of your criticism. I'd wouldn't cry about paying 37 yoyos a month for an uncapped 3mb line. If I was actually getting a 3mb line that is.

I disagree with that one element of your criticism. I'd wouldn't cry about paying 37 yoyos a month for an uncapped 3mb line. If I was actually getting a 3mb line that is.

But you dont even get anywhere near that. With every other provider bar the mobile BB ones you get near enough to you max speed a all times as makes no difference. I have to post this from a friends house where i've come to work for the day now because Ice is just to slow to work.

But you dont even get anywhere near that. With every other provider bar the mobile BB ones you get near enough to you max speed a all times as makes no difference. I have to post this from a friends house where i've come to work for the day now because Ice is just to slow to work.
                That's my point. The price would be fine, IF they provided the service advertised at that price.

Admittedly, the higher priced packages would be a bit saucy, even if they delivered (which they don't according to others here). As things stand they are a joke - you can have a sh*te service for €37, or an equally sh*te service for €50.

ICE have gone back to being S##t after a good week or so at max speed. Barely getting dialup now. Just been onto them and its going to take them 72hrs to get back to me

Mikebyrne wrote: »
                ICE have gone back to being S##t after a good week or so at max speed. Barely getting dialup now. Just been onto them and its going to take them 72hrs to get back to me

One week a year of max speed. whoopie. i wish i got even that.

Here's my speed tonight

306253037.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Cozey

my friend has ice for about a year now .. at first it was good (much faster than normal eircom) but lately its gone to the dogs ..i guess they are putting to many people on the system and its making it S**T .. i am not a tec but i am only guessing ,,

Cozey wrote: »
                my friend has ice for about a year now .. at first it was good (much faster than normal eircom) but lately its gone to the dogs ..i guess they are putting to many people on the system and its making it S**T .. i am not a tec but i am only guessing ,,

Add the crap support, lies about mast upgrades, constant phone calls to ICE to get your broadband sorted and you've pretty much nailed everyones experience with them.

• Advertisement
              • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sellphone

If you are prepared to sit on ComReg, and ICE, it will pay off. But document everything, keep notes of conversation with ICE etc. etc.
                I am getting there but ever so slowly. got a call from them the other day and was sorted, 1.8 Mb, but back to 900K today. Mind you , weather probably does not help either.

This discussion has been closed.
              Advertisement