Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Broadband steadily becoming even more terrible

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Sellphone wrote: »
    If you are prepared to sit on ComReg, and ICE, it will pay off. But document everything, keep notes of conversation with ICE etc. etc.
    I am getting there but ever so slowly. got a call from them the other day and was sorted, 1.8 Mb, but back to 900K today. Mind you , weather probably does not help either.

I hear that even though you pay 3Mb ice are capping peoples speed at 2Mb.
    Insider told me this. Perhaps ice owe some refunds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭bassy

ice broadband sign up deal, 1 year contract=100 euros installation fee.
    2 year sign up contract=free installation:rolleyes:

bassy wrote: »
    ice broadband sign up deal, 1 year contract=100 euros installation fee.
    2 year sign up contract=free installation:rolleyes:

I wonder why. Is it because they want to trap you :eek: because they know you will leave asap.

spot on m8

I wonder why. Is it because they want to trap you :eek: because they know you will leave asap.

i signed up for ice broadband about 3 weeks ago before reading this thread.
    but i sent ice a email after reading this thread and gave them a link to this thread also,and i stated clearly to them that by god if i get ice installed i want top service and 3mb speed as stated by them.
    also told them there good enough to take 38 euros every month,the should also be good enough to deliver 3mb speed aslo.

clearly stated to them if i had trouble or crap speeds with there service i would be contacting comreg.needless to say i got no reply from them.

i am currently on digiweb wireless 1mb speed,which does,nt always deliver 1mb either.

think if the installer comes to me to install ice i shall be showing him a straight redcard.

can,t believe the amount of people on here that has a crap service from them and are doing nothing about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Derek31

hello,

I'm just wondering if the problem with ice broad band is nationwide or are the problems localised? I'm from Tullow in Co. Carlow and Ice broadband is the only broadband available. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experience with ice broadband in Tullow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Derek31 wrote: »
    hello,

I'm just wondering if the problem with ice broad band is nationwide or are the problems localised? I'm from Tullow in Co. Carlow and Ice broadband is the only broadband available. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experience with ice broadband in Tullow.

Reach Broadband cover Tullow im sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Anzu

I have had Ice Broadband for over a year. The first 5-6 months were great, i didn't have an issue with them then shortly afterwards my download/upload speeds started to get terrible. I had to battle them for over a month, constantly ringing to get through before they sorted it out.

It' s been another couple of months since then and everything was going fine until about 2 weeks ago i started to get ridiculously slow speeds again, im losing my patience, no scrap that, ive lost my patience a long time ago with ICE BB, im sick of it.

I contacted Comreg about 3 months ago to help with it and they got ICE BB to contact me in which they solved the issue at that time. Now its going crap again and i have contacted Comreg again but Ice BB aren't replying to them now.

I really wish i could get another ISP for my area but there seems to be none available. If anyone knows a decent Broadband provider for my area, Cappamore - Co. Limerick, please say so, i would appreciate it.

I've had enough too. Eircom said they have fixed my line (and all of the lines in Lispopple, Oldtown, rolestown, killsalaghan area too) so should be able to get BB within the next month. Im just going to go back to Dialup til then though.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sellphone

I've had enough too. Eircom said they have fixed my line (and all of the lines in Lispopple, Oldtown, rolestown, killsalaghan area too) so should be able to get BB within the next month. Im just going to go back to Dialup til then though.
    I live a mile or so from Oldtown.Just checked my line and still not suitable.
    It seems I am on a sub exchange at Clonmethan and this will be a barrier until I am moved on to Ballyboughal. Even then, there may still be issues because of the distance. So, ICE is the only game in town for me.D'ya think they know this? Do they what.

• Advertisement

I live a mile or so from Oldtown.Just checked my line and still not suitable.
    It seems I am on a sub exchange at Clonmethan and this will be a barrier until I am moved on to Ballyboughal. Even then, there may still be issues because of the distance. So, ICE is the only game in town for me.D'ya think they know this? Do they what.

If you call Eircom and order the broadband they will send you out a modem and you can test it. If it doesnt work they take it back.

I have news about Comreg and Ice. Kind of dissapointing actually.

It turns out that Comreg call Ice and Ice tell them lies too. eg That Ice called you and you said you were happy with the fix, when they neither called you nor fixed anything.

Then Comreg leave it at that until you call them again. They arent interested at all in helping you out.

You can get transcripts of Ices communications with Comreg under the freedom of information act if you call Comreg and tell them you want the info.

Anyway i'm making the call to cancel Ice in the morning, making sure to cancel my DD first. Then its back to dialup for a week til Eircom get me going. Good luck everyone else with Ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

Have not been ble to stream a video on youtube or anywere for the past 2 weeks or so, sub dialup speeds at time but the pings are still below 50 on speedtest, tonight it's getting better but still only 2meg speeds, I pay for 3meg, I've also got a single figure ping.
    311287451.png

If only I got a ping like that and 3meg downspeed every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I have heard whispers that sky will soon be offering a TV, Internet and Phone package in Ireland. Guess who their partner for the Internet and Phone part is expected to be? I can only hope this is either completely wrong, or doesn't come to pass.

Disclaimer: This is second hand information, so it may not be correct. That said, the original source is a fairly well placed sky employee.

A rumour it only is. However eventually they will become bit stream resellers for Eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shanekeogh

I have been using ice for the past year, and I have now reached my peak with them. Blood boiling over etc etc.

My speeds for yesterday Ping time 268ms over only 50mi with a lousy 403kb/s down and a disgraceful 85kb/s up. It's simple as this, Ice broadband have advertised on their own site a speed of 3mb. This advertisement is false and deliberately misleading to the public, and based on my own experiences and what I haev read here from other people, Ice are incapable of delivering on what they are advertising. Doesn't that make what they are doing illegal? While comreg will probably tell you that there is no legal limitations on broadband speeds in Ireland, there is still a way. This is what they think you don't know!

Under the sales of goods and services act, your contract is null and void if the company who has trapped you into a contract has done so under false pretences and advertised a service that it cannot deliver. I am currently fighting ice to end my contract based on this, and if this fails, I am inviting anyone using ice who is interested in joining a Class Action Law Siut against them for their promises of speeds that they have not delivered. In regards to a cancellation fee, they cannot charge a cancellation fee if the reason for cancellation is their own inability to deliver on what they advertise. You cannot tell someone that they have to pay you to cancel a contract if the contract has been breached by the service provider!

You do have rights, you need to look them up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭bartificer

shanekeogh wrote: »

And you need to be able to afford a lawyer to back them up or you'll just get laughed at or ignored or both.

Do let us know how you get on though.

Bart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

shanekeogh wrote: »
    I have been using ice for the past year, and I have now reached my peak with them. Blood boiling over etc etc.

My speeds for yesterday Ping time 268ms over only 50mi with a lousy 403kb/s down and a disgraceful 85kb/s up. It's simple as this, Ice broadband have advertised on their own site a speed of 3mb. This advertisement is false and deliberately misleading to the public, and based on my own experiences and what I haev read here from other people, Ice are incapable of delivering on what they are advertising. Doesn't that make what they are doing illegal? While comreg will probably tell you that there is no legal limitations on broadband speeds in Ireland, there is still a way. This is what they think you don't know!

Under the sales of goods and services act, your contract is null and void if the company who has trapped you into a contract has done so under false pretences and advertised a service that it cannot deliver. I am currently fighting ice to end my contract based on this, and if this fails, I am inviting anyone using ice who is interested in joining a Class Action Law Siut against them for their promises of speeds that they have not delivered. In regards to a cancellation fee, they cannot charge a cancellation fee if the reason for cancellation is their own inability to deliver on what they advertise. You cannot tell someone that they have to pay you to cancel a contract if the contract has been breached by the service provider!

You can't do a class action law suit in Ireland but you can submit about 300 individual lawsuits and make it so they can't fight the cases because there is just too many for their lawyers to deal with.

Then maybe the courts will allow class action lawsuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

Was just thinking there and wondering, I got ice nearly 4 years ago, it's still the only BB I can get. When I got ice the ''3meg'' service I have now was 1 meg because it was upgraded to 3 do I still have the right for 3 or can they just give me 1 and I can't do anything about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 watajoke

You are entitled to a free upgrade to their so called 3Mg speeds. For this to happen YOU the customer need to contact Ice as if they were to carry out automatic upgrades for all their customers, the already oversaturated sectors on each base station would become even more over saturated and then no one would have connection. Call or email Info@icebroadband.com and make sure you save the mail for your follow up call to them. Their agents will tell you that they need an email from you instructing them to upgrade the service for you.

Best of luck getting through in a timely manner :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 happyclown123

In relation to wanting the 3mg you signed up for........ it clearly states on their website that you are on a contention of 36:1 therefore you speeds wont be exactly 3mg and your upload wont be 1 mg. I signed up about 2 months ago in the Louth area and its fine. :D

All these details are on their websites. I agree with everyone about the fact that you should be getting better than dial up but if you are getting over 1800 or 2000 as i see one blogger post then you are getting good speeds when you take into account your contention.:P

Has anyone managed to move over to Eircom yet? My sister has Eircom in the Dundalk area and she said its relatively good. :)

Home Broadband Speed 3mb download 1mb upload Download Limit Unlimited Contention Ratio 36:1 Installation Fee
    12 Month Contract - €99.00
    24 Month Contract - FREE**
    Price Per Month €37.99The above is courtesy of the ICE BB website:cool:

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Laois John

Just joined here as I have just received a call from Ice to say they will be installing in our area - rural corner of Co. Laois shortly. So much bad press here it scares me...Is there anyone happy with Ice? Like so many others here we have no other option at the moment...

By any chance are you In Borris in Ossary?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Laois John

No bigpaddy i'm in Spink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

My company had Ice Broadband and it was miserable. They cant even get their act together for business customers. I was talking to some of the guys asking if i should get it but the consensus was - "Not if they are the last company on earth".

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

All these details are on their websites. I agree with everyone about the fact that you should be getting better than dial up but if you are getting over 1800 or 2000 as i see one blogger post then you are getting good speeds when you take into account your contention.:P

Most of the people complaining about Ice are getting speeds LOWER than dial up on most occasions.
    I presume you've never used broadband from Ice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

Is anyone interested in getting together an organised ring to Joe Duffy? It's coming up on a year since we got Ice installed and it's nothing but trouble. If it works it's slower than hell, but it's been gone all weekend. We don't have a phone line, so get VOIP through them too. If the service is up, the phone line is awful. People can't hear us and sometimes vice versa. I have rung numerous times and it's always the same old ****e. We've had no service all weekend and it was fixed yesterday for about 20 minutes then gone again. Just got fixed again now. Asked about credit for down time and was given the run-around.

I am sick and tired of this treatment and think maybe a call to Joe might get their ass in gear. It's especially frustrating, because they are the only BB provider in my area.

Any thoughts??

Deb

In relation to wanting the 3mg you signed up for........ it clearly states on their website that you are on a contention of 36:1 therefore you speeds wont be exactly 3mg and your upload wont be 1 mg. I signed up about 2 months ago in the Louth area and its fine. :D

Has anyone managed to move over to Eircom yet? My sister has Eircom in the Dundalk area and she said its relatively good. :)

Home Broadband Speed 3mb download 1mb upload Download Limit Unlimited Contention Ratio 36:1 Installation Fee
    12 Month Contract - €99.00
    24 Month Contract - FREE**
    Price Per Month €37.99The above is courtesy of the ICE BB website:cool:

Hope this helps

You havent read this thread at all have you?

The big message im getting here, and from my company and friends who have tried Ice Broadband is that ICE ARE SH1TE.

I tried calling their support about 6:30pm a couple of days ago as mentioned earlier in this thread (I was actually thinking of getting Ice). Well no answer, which i assume is the norm from Ice as ive read here. So quite simply, ive tested their support line ... FAIL.

No Ice for me. A luck escape i think. Thank god i read this thread and asked around.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sellphone

All,
    Ever try contacting their main people by An Post, remember letter post? That does not work either. Been to Comreg, the ICE Account Dept, their Customer Care, info@ ICe etc. all to no avail.
    Feel sorry for the lads and girls in there, they are trying to be helpful but they cannot commit.
    Unfortunately I am in "one option land" and they know it, the b*&^%$£@!
    Anyone any experience of Digiweb? They have responded to a query I put on their web site, and they promise everything. Maybe I am just gone so sceptical?!?!?:(

• Advertisement

All,
    Ever try contacting their main people by An Post, remember letter post? That does not work either. Been to Comreg, the ICE Account Dept, their Customer Care, info@ ICe etc. all to no avail.
    Feel sorry for the lads and girls in there, they are trying to be helpful but they cannot commit.
    Unfortunately I am in "one option land" and they know it, the b*&^%$£@!
    Anyone any experience of Digiweb? They have responded to a query I put on their web site, and they promise everything. Maybe I am just gone so sceptical?!?!?:(

Hmmm. After reading up on wireless and talking to Digiweb about their service it turns out i could get Eircom, even though im 7 miles from the exchange.

I asked the guy in Digiweb how fast and he said 5Mbps. I asked him would i always get that and he said yes. Then i asked for it in writing that i would only have to pay whichever proportion of 5mbs i got if it fell below and it was no go. So i asked around a few people with Digiweb. Those with Metro were happy. Those with Digiweb mobile were not. Got nowhere near a proper speed.

So if you can get Metro give it a try. If not just keep trying Eircon, or put the proposition about only paying for the proportion you get to Ice and see what happens :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement