Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Broadband steadily becoming even more terrible

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

bigx wrote: »
    Hi
    IIRC ice have a package specially for gamers which has low latency.
    Yours etc

Which has exactly the same ping issues as all of Ices other products.
    See all the posts from people in this thread who were conned into buying Ices game packages.

I still dont understand why Comreg wont do anything about a provider supplying a gaming or a phone service that so clearly are not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,952 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Rayven199 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I know you are all saying how bad ICE is, but unfortunatly I dont think I have any other option but to go with them, there are no other wireless providers in my area (Well if there are I cant find them, tried the government site too) We wont be getting the Voip, just the basic broadband package. What I am wondering is; is the broadband alone ok or are they just a no no al together?

Its looking like its ICE or no broadband. We have a PS3 and use it online a fair bit so that would be a big thing also!

I would advise NO! not EVER! your better off throwing all your upload onto a flash drive walking to where you want it. Then load your download onto it and walking back to your PC. It would be quicker and less hastle:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 watajoke

Rayven199 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I know you are all saying how bad ICE is, but unfortunatly I dont think I have any other option but to go with them, there are no other wireless providers in my area (Well if there are I cant find them, tried the government site too) We wont be getting the Voip, just the basic broadband package. What I am wondering is; is the broadband alone ok or are they just a no no al together?

Its looking like its ICE or no broadband. We have a PS3 and use it online a fair bit so that would be a big thing also!

It does depend on where you live, but realistically if you can handle 90% downtime (no connection) and the other 10% being taken up by latency issues, packet loss etc then you would be better off NOT signing up.

Can any of the mobile carriers (O2, 3 or Vodafone) not help you out? I have O2 at the minute and while it is not great, it is certainly better and cheaper than Ice. I have no choice as I am not willing to pay Eircom line rental just to avail of another service.

Best of luck with your research in finding alternative providers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭smadger

watajoke wrote: »
    It does depend on where you live, but realistically if you can handle 90% downtime (no connection) and the other 10% being taken up by latency issues, packet loss etc then you would be better off NOT signing up.

Can any of the mobile carriers (O2, 3 or Vodafone) not help you out? I have O2 at the minute and while it is not great, it is certainly better and cheaper than Ice. I have no choice as I am not willing to pay Eircom line rental just to avail of another service.

Best of luck with your research in finding alternative providers

To be fair, I found ICE much better that '3'. Apart from the messing last week with VOIP, my service is ok. Not stunning, but ok. Average around 750kb, but peaking ~1.5Mb.

On the other hand, I had '3' up until about 6 months ago and they drove me to distraction. Now there was constant downtime, >4000ms ping times, <100kb downspeed, < 50 kb upspeed. Plus completely ripped off for going over my tariff.

But yeah, it seems it really does depend on where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

elvis_2009 wrote: »
    Have you rang them

Nope, because I communicate by email so that there is a record of what is said.

I operate the same way with all companies I deal with.

When I came back here this morning, my VOIP incoming and outgoing was back working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

im on the phone to ice right now 20 mins and waiting ive no bb
    Turn off PC > Turn off the router (if you have one) > Turn of the Ice PSU (power supple unit).

Turn on the Ice PSU > Turn on the router (after 30 seconds) > Turn on the PC (after 20 seconds).

Now, test for webpages...

OK, my VOIP is gone again. :rolleyes:

Username! wrote: »
    Turn off PC > Turn off the router (if you have one) > Turn of the Ice PSU (power supple unit).

Turn on the Ice PSU > Turn on the router (after 30 seconds) > Turn on the PC (after 20 seconds).

Now, test for webpages...

I've been advised, by ICE themselves, to turn off both router and radio.

Then you turn on router, leave for 5-10 mins and then turn on radio.

There is no need to turn off your PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 fjord

I've been advised, by ICE themselves, to turn off both router and radio.

Then you turn on router, leave for 5-10 mins and then turn on radio.

There is no need to turn off your PC.

My VOIP is gone too - there's no end to it. Are they advising to do this when VOIP is gone or just when no BB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 fjord

VOIP is back running again but for how long I wonder?? How is Broadband for those affected today along with the VOIP service going?

• Advertisement

My broadband has been working fine throughout all the VOIP disruption.

It came back, went again, and is now back again [the VOIP]. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

ok bit new to this particular thread but from what I can gather ICE are not worth touching???? I was interested in getting their 3mb plus phone pack for 49.99. would I be better off going iwth Eircom to save the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

ok bit new to this particular thread but from what I can gather ICE are not worth touching???? I was interested in getting their 3mb plus phone pack for 49.99. would I be better off going iwth Eircom to save the hassle.

you would be correct atleast you have a choice

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

No!

Ice is awesome!

This thread got to 66 pages by accident.

Everyone get the email saying that we would get credit for lack of VOIP service?

According to their email, it wasn't for non-payment their side. ;)

VOIPs gone again.

Anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Amongst Royalty

No Voip is working for me atm - Friday Morning it went off for a few hours AGAIN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Amongst Royalty

Everyone get the email saying that we would get credit for lack of VOIP service?

According to their email, it wasn't for non-payment their side. ;)

Yeah but how much are they letting us off.

We were down on BB & Phone for weeks & weeks and they let us off a measly €5 the month before last :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sellphone

Not sure why and I don't really care why, but since 24th October last I have been getting excellent service! 2.5 Mb at least consistently.See my previous rants. went down on Sunday evening alright, after 6 p.m. so the Customer service guys were gone at that stage,which did not bother me and on Monday it was back.
    Can't complain

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

magicface's post removed as your just stiring trouble, also banned for one month

happyclown123 perma site banned from boards.ie for making legal threat, I suggest you read boards.ie rules before trying to act like a big man.

• Advertisement

No Voip is working for me atm - Friday Morning it went off for a few hours AGAIN.

It is still gone for me. I was cut off in the middle of a call on Sunday.

Very annoying.

At least the internet still works flawlessly.

Yeah but how much are they letting us off.

We were down on BB & Phone for weeks & weeks and they let us off a measly €5 the month before last :mad:

A good question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 theinformer

im on the phone to ice right now 20 mins and waiting ive no bb

So you were on the phone to ice? You had no BB? How are you posting on Boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

I'mm assuming everyone here is just complaining about the residential packages?
    Looking at the 4up/4down corporate one

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

DeadParrot wrote: »
    I'mm assuming everyone here is just complaining about the residential packages?
    Looking at the 4up/4down corporate one

I've heard quite a lot of Ice business customers complaining also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

Ice sell different packages, but give all customers the same package. They just adjust the max speed (which you'll get for about a month and then nowhere near it) and not the contention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

Ice were supposed to appear on Prime Time investigates last night, but were pulled to make room for Jackie Skellys appearance.

Im told that Ice will appear in a special, dedicated only to broadband companies instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

did you hear that from Conor Pope himself or is someone else presenting it ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 elvis_2009

321654 wrote: »
    Ice were supposed to appear on Prime Time investigates last night, but were pulled to make room for Jackie Skellys appearance.

Im told that Ice will appear in a special, dedicated only to broadband companies instead.

Do you know when as would not want to miss the programme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I heard of an alternative wisp available in Murroe last week. They installed yesterday. I wish this thread and it's posters the best of luck.

:D

Edit: I should mention, it's http://wtsbb.net/. They've been mentioned here before, but not in the last year or so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement