Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Broadband steadily becoming even more terrible

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I heard of an alternative wisp available in Murroe last week. They installed yesterday. I wish this thread and it's posters the best of luck.

:D

Edit: I should mention, it's http://wtsbb.net/. They've been mentioned here before, but not in the last year or so.

Had WTS Broadband before Ice came to the area, it was worse than Ice.
    If I remember correctly the WTS installers catchphrase was "Bob Hope, No Hope" for those of us who wanted broadband in the east Limerick area and he was our knight with a shiny wireless antenna but had constant problems with outages for days at a time, eventually cancelled.

Other threads of interest
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055193549&highlight=wts
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055175010

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

The Cush wrote: »
    Had WTS Broadband before Ice came to the area, it was worse than Ice.
    Other threads of interest
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055193549&highlight=wts
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055175010

I read those before I signed up. My attitude was that even if their network consisted of tin cans and string, I would still be moving.

My connection with wts is not great atm, but I have honest answers as to why it's not great, and what is going to be done about it.

Apologies for derailing the thread, but I suspect it has enough momentum to survive :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 smallgod

I paid WTS €200 to install but it never happened. I never got my money back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

smallgod wrote: »
    I paid WTS €200 to install but it never happened. I never got my money back!

There are many avenues to go about getting money back froma rogue business.

Coming on here and whingeing is not one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 smallgod

Coming on here and whingeing is not one of them.

Sorry I didn't mean to whine. I just saw a discussion and thought I should warn people.
    There are many avenues to go about getting money back froma rogue business.

BTW, I tried small claims but got nothing in the end, if you know of other avenues I am interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 huzy06

My results have steadily gotten worse since I got ice in august. The last time I checked it was running at 98kbs. Which is ridiculous. Ive been on the phone to them at least 50 times and they just keep saying that their working on it. I asked to talk to the manager and every time I do they just say hes not here he'll ring you back tomorrow. And since Friday i cant get through to them,. The phone line is completely broke. So Im at the stage where Im considering legal action. If you sign up to a 3mb line, and the contract says that at peak times the lowest you can expect is 2.3mb and all you get is aoo bit and ignored surely that is a breach of contract on their part. Any way just thought Id tell you how bad it can get. And to think I had my choice of any of the broadband companies but picked them because they are Irish. Just shows you just because their Irish doesn't make them good. Its the last time Ill choose an irish companie over anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

huzy06 wrote: »
    And to think I had my choice of any of the broadband companies but picked them because they are Irish. Just shows you just because their Irish doesn't make them good. Its the last time Ill choose an irish companie over anyone else.

You should'nt tar everyone with the same brush. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭bartificer

Huzy06, you had one bad experience with one Irish broadband company. That does not mean all Irish companies are the same. Like you, I had a very bad experience with ICE. However, I moved over to Irish Broadband's DSL service and am EXTREMELY happy with it. For me IBB have worked out cheaper, faster, and more reliable than ICE.

Bart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 LAGLOVER!!

Ha ha cant believe this thread still goin ( well tbh i not suprised) ... their a joke i tell ya

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hin white duke banned for a week, read charter in future.

If a user works for a company its not your job to try call them out, if you think they are working for a company report the post and let a mod or admin do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

bartificer wrote: »
    Huzy06, you had one bad experience with one Irish broadband company. That does not mean all Irish companies are the same. Like you, I had a very bad experience with ICE. However, I moved over to Irish Broadband's DSL service and am EXTREMELY happy with it. For me IBB have worked out cheaper, faster, and more reliable than ICE.

Bart.

That's exactly what I did too and IBB DSL has been spot on since I got it.
    Please don't tar all Irish companies with the same brush!

bartificer wrote: »

Bart.
    i cant even get throuh to them. Their phoneline has just dissaperaed since last week. I emailed them and all they said is its because of the 36;1 ratio. Its complete nonsense as net1 have the same ratio and yet theirs is perfect all the time. Plus I was aware of the ratio b4 i got it and I was promised 2.3 at peak times even with that high number. As a matter of interest how did you get out of your contract?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

i cant even get throuh to them. Their phoneline has just dissaperaed since last week. I emailed them and all they said is its because of the 36;1 ratio. Its complete nonsense as net1 have the same ratio and yet theirs is perfect all the time. Plus I was aware of the ratio b4 i got it and I was promised 2.3 at peak times even with that high number. As a matter of interest how did you get out of your contract?

If you want to break a contract the best way is to set about it properly.

Write (as in an old fashioned type letter) to them detailing all of the problems you have had so far and all of the contacts with the company. Tell them that you will be copying this letter to Comreg. Tell them that as far as you are concerned that they are not meeting the terms of their contract with you and if the service does not become compliant with the contract within 14 days you will have no alternative but to go to another isp.

Write to Comreg (with a copy of your letter to the isp) and tell them you want to make a formal complaint about the poor service.

If you dont have a paper trail of complaints and just walk away you are leaving yourself open to debt collectors etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭bartificer

As a matter of interest how did you get out of your contract?

I did the following:

1) Contacted ComReg to open a case
    2) Contacted ICE, told them I had opened a case with ComReg, that I was making an official complaint, and that that meant they had 10 days to fix my problems
    3) waited 10 days
    4) went to the bank, cancelled the DD
    5) contacted ICE, told them the DD had been cancelled, insisted they waive the disconnection fee (which they did), and asked them to come remove their equipment (which they didn't immediately do, that took another 3 or 4 calls and quite a few weeks to get done).
    6) Contacted ComReg to update the case with what I had done so it's all on record.

And that was that.

Hope that helps,

Bart.

Thanks for that guys. Ill get in touch with com reg asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 spykid1

hi

cn anybody tell me how to connect my wireless router to my pc
    i have followed the letter recieved form ice but still no connection
    i have to use a wire from router to pc
    no ans from the people in ice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Rawr

What brand of router did they give you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 spykid1

Linkys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Rawr

I'm guessing that you've got some kind connection already when you're using the wire, so we can assume that there's a connection (of sorts).

Check to see if your laptop can pickup wireless networks at all. If this is a new laptop that you're not used to, there my be a wireless switch somewhere on the case or keyboard that you'll need to press on.

When ICE sent out routers, they used to name the wireless network (SSID) to 'ICE Broadband'. If your PC can see wireless networks you should see this one. ICE used to also include your WEP key on a sheet of paper, you'll need this once you find a network.

Failing that, log into the router itself via your web-browser to http://192.186.1.1

Be sure that you didn't get the wrong type of Linksys router. ICE used to send out 2 kinds, one Linksys was a full wireless with about 4 ethernet ports and an antenna, the other was a much smaller Linksys with only one ethernet port and no antenna. If you have the smaller one, it's only a VOIP phone-adapter and won't do wireless at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I got Ice installed a week ago. The installer told me if I wanted fast speeds to log on before ten o clock in the morning! :rolleyes: Best speeds so far are about 700-800kbps and that's before mid-day.

Here's my speed tonight - lousy:

393045288.png

• Advertisement

boomerang wrote: »
    I got Ice installed a week ago. The installer told me if I wanted fast speeds to log on before ten o clock in the morning! :rolleyes: Best speeds so far are about 700-800kbps and that's before mid-day.

393045288.png

Basically man you may get used to it. It just gets worse and worse. I spend the most time online after 2 am and it doesnt change. Get in contact with them early while you can and get them out.. I just hope you dont have to go through as much crap with them as I did. I got in touch with them after comreg told me they would take over my case and told them they had 10 days to fix it or to breach my contract or they would step in. They still havent done anything..

393102670.png
    That was my speed at at 2.30am. Actually running faster than usual

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

393045288.png

Were you aware of this thread before you decided to try Ice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 FastGuy

393045288.png
    That's mean for me that company is in treuble. Anyway how installer can say that to customer ???? Also I saw few install of IceB in tipperrary area ... they use alvarion staff and that's 5,4 GHz, many install by trees, buildings etc. so it's only time when good connection will be poison by bad one :]:cool:

I emailed them, got a response today to say that they've reset my radio. Sure enough, speeds have improved remarkably, but for how long? They say they're also doing upgrades in our area and speeds should improve for all customers here in the next few weeks, but I'm not holding my breath. My Dad lives across the road and also has Ice, his connection is almost dial-up slow - I must get him to email them and see if they can help him. Even if it's only a temporary improvement, it's worth it.

I rang Eircom this month and they are rolling out broadband here in the last quarter of 2009... At which point all the Ice customers here will move over to Eircom, myself, my two immediate neighbours and my Dad included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

They say they're also doing upgrades in our area and speeds should improve for all customers here in the next few weeks

Read back through this thread and see how many times that exact statement has come up. Lots. And then scroll on and see that it has always returned to normal Ice service (sub dialup) after a few days.

Yeah, I know. :rolleyes: I'm just waiting for my speeds to dip again. Been through this already with my dad's connection. :o Unlike a lot of Ice customers, I knew what I was getting into by signing up for their service myself, but unfortunately I need broadband for work and don't have an alternative!

Sure enough, speeds have improved remarkably, but for how long? They say they're also doing upgrades in our area and speeds should improve for all customers here in the next few weeks, but I'm not holding my breath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 FastGuy

If you looking broadband in tipperary area chceck www.premierbroadband.net
    I now they do it a lot of good Job and have many many new station i this area. Also map on page lokks interesting :)
    chears

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TurnipFish

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I am with Ice Broadband and have been for the last 2 years.

I have had one problem that lasted for about 2 months of calling them every week. In the end, I did get my broadband sorted out and I got a refund for the time I was unable to use the service.

I'm happy with my provider. Although the upload speed could be better.

400340829.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

TurnipFish wrote: »
    Well, I don't know about you guys, but I am with Ice Broadband and have been for the last 2 years.

I have had one problem that lasted for about 2 months of calling them every week. In the end, I did get my broadband sorted out and I got a refund for the time I was unable to use the service.

I'm happy with my provider. Although the upload speed could be better.

400340829.png

Now thats a completely different story than almost everyone else on this thread.

Hope your happy with that ping too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement