Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Broadband steadily becoming even more terrible

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

You done a very bad job of making it even sound like sarcasm.

I understand it is difficult for some people to realize that it might be sarcasm to suggest that the communications regulator is a supplier (possibly the worst one) too. Blame your teachers. :D

Back on topic.
    Why is there no punishment for Ice. It was all we could get for years in our town. Now we can get Eircom and everybody who had Ice has switched over. Nobody got anywhere with Ice, even via COMREG.

Now that says a lot for Ice when you consider the absolute max speed anyone here can get is 1Mb from eircom. And yet we all still switched to eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭MrTimewalk

I've been living where I live since 1999 and back then I was told Eircom would be upgrading the exchange in 3 months time...... roll forward 10 years and they plan to do it next year. for sure this time!

Ice are the only show in town so am at their whim, If google did a postal service where you send your search in by postcard and they return a printed result it might be more effecient then working with these clowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

MrTimewalk wrote: »
    If Google did a postal service where you send your search in by postcard and they return a printed result it might be more efficient then working with these clowns.
    google_classic_700.jpg

;)

Clicky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

Wow, a lucky escape for me here.
    I was about to order Ice broadband but stumbled on this thread.
    Not in a million years now.
    Thank you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Harry W

After reading the thread i would tell anybody who is thinking of using Ice don't it is costly and rarely works as claimed, plus don't forget the 1890 number can be costly to ring.

The service manager comes up with excuses but no solutions regards to there appalling service.

I would strongly urge existing customers to contact national, local papers, Radio and even TV with regards.

Ice charge 38 euro per month which is a premium rate but the service is far from it. It should be there 24/7 if you have a difficulty you must give them 2 working days to resolve it and you can't claim back credit for the down time. I have contacted Com Reg but they are a toothless dog.as thet are powerless to deal with them. I have contacted a solicitor regards to my contract with Ice to see if they in breach of contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fin-slipknot

Harry W wrote: »
    After reading the thread i would tell anybody who is thinking of using Ice don't it is costly and rarely works as claimed, plus don't forget the 1890 number can be costly to ring.

The service manager comes up with excuses but no solutions regards to there appalling service.

I would strongly urge existing customers to contact national, local papers, Radio and even TV with regards.

Ice charge 38 euro per month which is a premium rate but the service is far from it. It should be there 24/7 if you have a difficulty you must give them 2 working days to resolve it and you can't claim back credit for the down time. I have contacted Com Reg but they are a toothless dog.as thet are powerless to deal with them. I have contacted a solicitor regards to my contract with Ice to see if they in breach of contract.

and what did solicitor say?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Simple breach of contract as it is not "fit for the purpose"

Every judge in Meath and Limerick shudders when they hear the name "Ice"

Hi

I have heard back from my solicitor on friday and yes Ice are in breach of contract when they exceed the terms of contract. Which is simple if you pay for a service then you should recieve it. My solicitor is going to examine the Sales of Goods and services act 1980 and let me know exactly where and how best to approach it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

Harry W wrote: »
    Hi

I have heard back from my solicitor on friday and yes Ice are in breach of contract when they exceed the terms of contract. Which is simple if you pay for a service then you should recieve it. My solicitor is going to examine the Sales of Goods and services act 1980 and let me know exactly where and how best to approach it.

If you read through the thread there are scores of Ice customers who have contacted Comreg, got no result and left Ice, with no penalty, because Comreg said "better you leave Ice than we actually have to get our finger out". And Ice said "Fine, Comreg dont bother us, we dont bother them and we can screw the next guy anyway. See ya."

You dont need a solicitor.

Originally Posted by Harry W viewpost.gif
    Hi

If you read through the thread there are scores of Ice customers who have contacted Comreg, got no result and left Ice, with no penalty, because Comreg said "better you leave Ice than we actually have to get our finger out". And Ice said "Fine, Comreg dont bother us, we dont bother them and we can screw the next guy anyway. See ya."

You dont need a solicitor.
    user_offline.gif Hi

I agree Comreg are useless and you have a point also if you are unhappy with them leave.
    I work from home and i need a broadband connection and where i live in Meath we have no other provider only dial up which is of no use for my needs. I contacted my solicitor and i feel it is necessary hopefully it make inspire others to take matters into their own hands and let this company know they cant walk all over the customer who lets not forget is paying 37.99 euro per month which is a premium rate when you look at eircom in a bundle at 9.99 per month.
    If i had a choice and trust me i don't i wouldnt be here i would have off loaded Ice Broadband a long time ago.
    quote.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭MichaelR

I have made an advance order for Ice Broadband in co. Limerick but now I saw this thread and have my doubts.

Are they better now?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭emmbaasee

Cancel your order and run for the hills. They are a total nightmare to deal with...
    A disgraceful company to deal with in every way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Cobbles

they are SSSSSHHHHHHHHlllllllllllllTTTTTTT!!! im leaving the company next week, and im bringing all my friends with me to make a chain reaction! im running 90kbps down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

These threads are what make boards great. Pitty a lot of the people who are ordering ICE Broadband, can't read them prior to ordering. And maybe not even after installation either! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Hi Lads,

Though I'd post my Ice experience and get your thoughts.

Location Oldtown, Co. Dublin

Connection seems fine, ping tests to their gateway never drop a packet, but response times do spike to 1000ms every 15 packets or so. Downloading at about 200Kbs to 340Kbs.

Hers the issue!

I cannot VPN for more than 5 min, I cannot play online gaming for more than 5 min, I cannot hold a connection to anything streaming for more than 5 min. Like clockwork I'm disconnected from the remote site, but I do not loose packets.

Ice seem very puzzled by this, anyone else seeing similar issues ?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lip

Hi,just wondering if anyone has been having trouble with their phone?I'm sure theres posts somewhere on this thread but haven't time nor patience to read through them.I have been with Ice for 16 mths,I have no real problem with broadband apart from having to wait nearly 6 mths for wireless router,had no choice,they were the only company in my area.My phone has been a nightmare,worse than a mobile out of coverage.Have rang with complaints,emailed them with no joy.I often try to make a call and a voice tells me my account is too low.Got really annoyed this morning and rang again,could hardly hear the voice on the other end so told him to disconnect me.He said "ok,I will disconnect",no apology,no trying to keep my custom,nothing.I need broadband so can't disconnect that til I organise someone else.Just wanted to know if this has been others experience,I feel I've paid for a service I haven't recieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sellphone

fayer wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Though I'd post my Ice experience and get your thoughts.

Location Oldtown, Co. Dublin

Connection seems fine, ping tests to their gateway never drop a packet, but response times do spike to 1000ms every 15 packets or so. Downloading at about 200Kbs to 340Kbs.

Hers the issue!

I cannot VPN for more than 5 min, I cannot play online gaming for more than 5 min, I cannot hold a connection to anything streaming for more than 5 min. Like clockwork I'm disconnected from the remote site, but I do not loose packets.

Ice seem very puzzled by this, anyone else seeing similar issues ?

About a 1 1/2 miles from Oldtown myself, have ICE for last 3 years or so and have only had one prolonged serious issue, which eventually was solved. I use it mostly for work reasons, and apart from the odd blip, I find it excellent.2 Mb d/l and about 750 kb - 1 Mb u/l.Persistence and logging your calls helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 john_buoy

dub45 wrote: »
    For anyone dissatisfied with a service and intending to break a contract it would be very important to have a record that you reported the poor quality service to the isp concerned and gave them a chance to fix it - if you do not do this then you wont have a leg to stand on if it comes to breaking a contract. And by record I mean emails or memoed phone calls and a note of who you spoke with etc.

I would backup this statement from dub45. Just because you sign a contract doesnt mean you have to put up with ****ty service. Sure at that rate you could sign a contract on day 1 with speeds of 3mb and on day 15 (assuming there is a 14 day return policy), they drop the speed to 1kb/s.

This is totally unnacceptable and no court in the land is going to tell you that because you signed a contract you must endure this ****ty service for the rest of the contracts duration. However, as Dub45 says, it is important to report the bad service to the isp first and give them time to sort the problem (maybe a week or so) before cancelling payments, returning goods, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭MrTimewalk

Don't choose ICE. They do NOT provide a BB service. I suffered with ICE for over a year. they WILL Not resolve issues, they will NOT provide the service they advertise. I was paying €70 a month for 4mb/2mb and getting .2mb and a ping time of 750ms, constant breakdowns. It was down for 2 weeks at one stage. I spent a couple of months constantly ringing them only to be told I was only entitled to .2mb due to contention!

When I eventually cut them off they weren't suprised at all, they rang me a week later to ask, was I not happy with the 'service'? :)

I can HONESTLY say you are better with no BB than ICE, I kid you not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 helenone

If i had the choice of other service providers i would not choose icebroadband, they are the worst of the worst, right now im paying 49.99 for 3mb download and in reality im getting the speed of about 1mb, my phone which works through this service is also really bad, ppl at the receiving end of my call complain that im breaking up or that i sound like im thousands of miles away. they keep breaking down, and last time i spoke to them demanding a refund they told me i had been refunded, however this was a lie when i checked my bank account. the reason i am still with them is because it is the only provider in my area, soon i will be on the joe duffy show complaining about them and i have told them this, my solicitor is also in the process of contacting them with a future date in the small claims court. so overall i would advise anyone who has the option to go with a differant provider to run in the opposite direction of icebroadband.

• Advertisement

Hi Sliuniav4ik, fair play to you for posting. Yes, you are correct regarding lookin for another service provider,the problem for me and many others is that icebroadband are the only providers in my area, eircom will be available by december and then we will all leave ibb, in the mean time there are a number of us who are working on our case against them in the small claims court. Will keep you posted :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vmd1916

i am with them at the moment ,i have being ringing them for last few months for help just getting the run around or running out of credit on hold,and like clockwork they believe they have the right to take money from your account and not even return one email or phone call,
    broadband well below 1mb and freezing,sent them emails cc comreg which they have ignored because they no comreg have no teeth they just get there pay check and say they are looking in to it,so neither provides a service in my eyes! who ever reads this do yourself a big favour and avoid ice broadband ,scam artists nothing more!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

I love this forum.Was just on the phone to ibb and was offered 3MB for 25 euro p.m and 99 euro installation,would also have to buy a wireless router.
    Was just about to order when I checked here (thank God) Think I'II just stick with bt,never had a problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

tony231974 wrote: »
    I love this forum.Was just on the phone to ibb and was offered 3MB for 25 euro p.m and 99 euro installation,would also have to buy a wireless router.
    Was just about to order when I checked here (thank God) Think I'II just stick with bt,never had a problem with them.

IBB = Irish Broadband = Imagine

Ice = Ice Broadband

It's not the same thing, you know ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

Well thank you for pointiny that out. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

tony231974 wrote: »
    Well thank you for pointiny that out. :P

I don't think IBB would love to be stuck in the same shelf as Ice Broadband.

/M

was in contact with eircom and they at last will be providing our area with internet access in ocotober, it will be very interesting to watch icebroadb return to our area to remove their little satelites from our rooftops. btw did ye know that they bore a whole through the wall of your houses to thread the wire through from the satelite thing they put on the roof of your house?mine comes through the font wall and now that i think about it i hope that they refill the whole they thread the wire through when they come to remove the dish. i cant see that happening though can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

helenone wrote: »
    was in contact with eircom and they at last will be providing our area with internet access in ocotober, it will be very interesting to watch icebroadb return to our area to remove their little satelites from our rooftops. btw did ye know that they bore a whole through the wall of your houses to thread the wire through from the satelite thing they put on the roof of your house?mine comes through the font wall and now that i think about it i hope that they refill the whole they thread the wire through when they come to remove the dish. i cant see that happening though can you?
    What other way would you expect them to get the cable in?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seithon

Hah..
    This doesn't surprise me in the least.
    I once went for an interview with Ice Broadband and met some of their folks.
    This was oh... 2006? I think.. around about November.
    So I find them on the industrial estate tucked away in a corner go upstairs to meet the folks meet a nice young lady, very plesant interested and engaging.. Saw the floor which was about 4-8 guys maybe half of the irish the rest from elsewhere (note, this is not a problem just an observation)..
    So into the interview room nice room and then I meet the guy who heads up the tech department.. unshaved tired and looking incredibly bored can't be arsed to say or do much of anything and basically left me feeling like I wasted my time even showing up (In the end I went to work for another company and told them to bugger off).
    The whole operation seemed to be working at the very edge of what they could handle then, and simple questions I asked them about how they expected to handle their expanding client base were met with blank looks and buzz words as if it wasn't even an issue..

Shame but there you go :)

I should also point out they never asked me or had me sign any NDA's and this is all my own personal opinion from my own experiences :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ComplyOrDie

It's been really slow all since Thursday :mad::mad::mad:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/547111770.png

I think i'll go back to dial up :(:(:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement