Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Broadband steadily becoming even more terrible

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Olterior

atleast u get speed. ice went down in clonmel (tipp) in my area almost 2 weeks ago , they send u a msg sayin its hardware failure, for **** sake how can it take 2 weeks to fix that ? i am a ****in multimedia ap. dev. student so I know that even if its after blowing to bits , it shouldnt take more than a week to get it fixed. i tried emailing them , calling them , and what not no response... i read their terms of service and i found out that they claim no reponsibility for such accidents , so basicly im ****ed. they are probably going to charge me for the net i didnt have too . I used to live in town and had chorus, and once it went down for 2 days, i didnt have to pay for internet for the next 3 months afterwards . i doubt ice will be that fair.

anyways im on a contract wit them for another year, but hopefully ill manage to treaten them to sue their sorry bb and they will leave me off , cuz they are not giving me my 3meg net , so they violiate fair use policy.

oh and

http://ratemyisp.ie/ratings/ice-broadband/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭themiso

Olterior wrote: »
    atleast u get speed. ice went down in clonmel (tipp) in my area almost 2 weeks ago , they send u a msg sayin its hardware failure, for **** sake how can it take 2 weeks to fix that ? i am a ****in multimedia ap. dev. student so I know that even if its after blowing to bits , it shouldnt take more than a week to get it fixed. i tried emailing them , calling them , and what not no response... i read their terms of service and i found out that they claim no reponsibility for such accidents , so basicly im ****ed. they are probably going to charge me for the net i didnt have too . I used to live in town and had chorus, and once it went down for 2 days, i didnt have to pay for internet for the next 3 months afterwards . i doubt ice will be that fair.

anyways im on a contract wit them for another year, but hopefully ill manage to treaten them to sue their sorry bb and they will leave me off , cuz they are not giving me my 3meg net , so they violiate fair use policy.

oh and

http://ratemyisp.ie/ratings/ice-broadband/

Yea, same problem here in Cashel, its not working 2 weeks. And I rang there today and they said that its hardware problem and they still waiting for it to be fixed, but it may take few more days. I canceled my payment to Ice Broadband and I am willing to pay for 2 weeks in August and just for days that its gonna work in september.

Ive got contract till may 2010, but I wrote them an official letter (and posted it by post, don't use email, they don't respond to emails) that I want to be realised from contract without any charges and fees as they can't provide service I am paying for.

I will be realised from October as they have to do that within 28 days.

And I'll take smart telecom 7 Mb line for around 45 euro. Now it's 60 eur for ICE and it's worse than dial-up

• Registered Users Posts: 46 wjc

Anyone got updates on the Ice Broadband situation in south Tipperary? Mine has been down for 3 weeks. Need it badly and dont have any alternatives in area. Are they going out of business or are they genuinely trying to fix problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

wjc wrote: »
    Anyone got updates on the Ice Broadband situation in south Tipperary? Mine has been down for 3 weeks. Need it badly and dont have any alternatives in area. Are they going out of business or are they genuinely trying to fix problem?
    Is Premier Community Broadband not in your area?

they put on website that broadband is not working in clonmel area 10/09/09 as well as they put there that it is working 10/09/09. So new customers wont know that it wasn't working for 3 weeks and 2 days !

But it's still not working. I am in Cashel, which belongs to Clonmel area.

I really don't know what is wrong with that company.

It was the biggest mistake to sign for ICE BROADBAND I have ever made.

AND COMREG ? They are useless as well. I wrote them 1,5 month ago about ICE, since then few times again. They contacted ICE, but didn't let me know what is going on ... , for me they same as ICE - useless.

It's really shame that there is no organization you can complain to about **** service. And ICE is just taking money and doing nothing, I'm just lucky that I have canceled my direct debit for august 1 day before payment to ICE.

I have to use mobile broadband now to be on-line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

I don't see how this crowd of chancers are in business?
    They must be granted a license by somebody I'm sure?
    Ok you might get a service, uninterrupted for 2 or 3 weeks, but then it'll be down for a week, maybe two, then back again for a week or 2, if it wasnt so annoying it would be laughable!!!!
    I wonder are the licenses like pub or dance hall licenses, as in they have to advertise that they're applying for renewal, ha ha, then we could all object to them getting a license and stop this bulls**t once and for all

A Country Voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They must be granted a license by somebody I'm sure?

As far as I'm aware, Ice don't use a licenced frequency. As an ISP, they are regulated by Comreg, and must be granted a licence to operate. But since Comreg aren't much for regulations, they may as well not be there.

I had a look at the comreg website.
    They have a section on there advising people of "what they may want to ask their prospective ISP"
    I made a few suggestions to them by email of what they might like to add to their questions:
    How many of the previous 365 days has the service that you're proposing to sell me been available or unavailable?
    If they give you an honest answer in the case of the company we're discussing here, you wouldnt go near them, if they give you a dishonest answer then in my hypothetical scenario they would be misleading you to entice you into a contract which would be actionable :D

The other question you might want to ask your prospective ISP was: How does your customer service work, and how do you get in touch with them?
    I won't even stress myself by talking about their non-existant customer service:mad:

oh by the way,
    Just got an email from the C.R.O. with the company's directors names and addresses :D
    Is that public info for all who want to see I wonder?
    It cost me 3:50
    What would the mods say if I put that up?
    :D
    A Country Voice

I received email from COMREG :

'Please note that operators in this country do not require a licence. They receive what is called “general authorisation”, having notified ComReg of their intention to provide a service. There is no facility to object to this authorisation. Our role is to act on behalf of the customer in attempting to resolve their individual complaint, when the companies own complaints procedure has failed.'

As I am sayin they are useless.

And ICE just disconnected me today. I was waiting for 3 weeks for service to resume and now - when it was working yesterday they disconnected me today even tho I was asking to be released from contract from 1st OCT.

However I am happy as ex-customer of ICE and I can just advise to do same for every customer.

and after few emails to COMREG they wrote me

'Thank you for your email. ICE have responded to advise that you have cancelled your broadband account and contract with them. Therefore, no service is being supplied to you as per your cancellation instruction to the company.'

is that a solution ??

For me yes, for many other customers no ..

there is really missing some organization to protect customers from company like that - not just forward them emails that i sent to COMREG.

now I am going to have DSL and hope so i won't have same problems as with ICE .. although it can't be any worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

Ice is down in Murroe, Co. limerick again

They have some BGP ping pong going on in there routers

Tracing route to 78.143.158.211 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 7 ms 9 ms 10 ms CE01-fe-0-0-1-160-ennis.irishbroadband.ie [87.192.134.1]
    3 14 ms 12 ms 14 ms 89.127.192.45
    4 12 ms 25 ms 14 ms 89.127.196.229
    5 18 ms 19 ms 12 ms ge-1-1-0-19.dub10.ip4.tinet.net [213.200.67.53]
    6 16 ms 13 ms 14 ms so-1-0-0.dub20.ip4.tinet.net [89.149.187.2]
    7 13 ms 13 ms 14 ms eunetworks-gw.ip4.tinet.net [77.67.72.146]
    8 14 ms 13 ms 13 ms 213.152.31.8
    9 15 ms 14 ms 17 ms ice.cust.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.156]
    10 17 ms 16 ms 15 ms ae2-110.tcr2.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.155]
    11 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms ice.cust.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.156]
    12 15 ms 14 ms 15 ms ae2-110.tcr2.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.155]
    13 18 ms 18 ms 16 ms ice.cust.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.156]
    14 14 ms 16 ms 15 ms ae2-110.tcr2.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.155]
    15 16 ms 15 ms 19 ms ice.cust.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.156]
    16 17 ms 15 ms 17 ms ae2-110.tcr2.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.155]
    17 17 ms 17 ms 16 ms ice.cust.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.156]
    18 17 ms 16 ms 18 ms ae2-110.tcr2.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.155]
    19 16 ms 18 ms 15 ms ice.cust.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.156]
    20 16 ms 16 ms 16 ms ae2-110.tcr2.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.155]
    21 19 ms 17 ms 15 ms ice.cust.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.156]
    22 18 ms 26 ms 15 ms ae2-110.tcr2.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.155]
    23 19 ms 17 ms 18 ms ice.cust.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.156]
    24 * 42 ms 19 ms ae2-110.tcr2.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.155]
    25 19 ms 21 ms 18 ms ice.cust.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.156]
    26 54 ms 20 ms 18 ms ae2-110.tcr2.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.155]
    27 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms ice.cust.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.156]
    28 17 ms 18 ms 15 ms ae2-110.tcr2.eun.dub.as8218.[217.112.152.155]
    29 18 ms 17 ms 17 ms ice.cust.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.156]
    30 18 ms 17 ms 18 ms ae2-110.tcr2.eun.dub.as8218.eu [217.112.152.155]

Trace complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

oh by the way,
    Just got an email from the C.R.O. with the company's directors names and addresses :D
    Is that public info for all who want to see I wonder?
    It cost me 3:50
    What would the mods say if I put that up?
    A Country Voice

You might have saved your money
    http://whois.domaintools.com/icebroadband.com

All business websites have to have register full contact details with the domain registry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Carrickmacross,
    a schoolfriend of mine says his ICE broadband in Carrick is down this four weeks. Amazed at that I wondered why the customers are not on here about the four week outage, then i realised they may have no access to mails!. How can this be, that a major company is out that long.?

SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Kobayashi

I know the manager of a company that supplies (or more correctly, supplied) the generators that keep their signal broadcasting and due to Ice not paying their bills, generators were recovered. Company may source generators from elsewhere but this might explain why services go down. There was also a story in the papers two weeks ago about them not paying a bill for over €50,000 to someone else. Is this company possibly on it's knees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭di2772

Ha ha. I was with these jokers before. Comreg arent worth calling. Dont bother.

Just cancel your direct debit. Send a letter to Ice telling them they owe you money for the service they have not provided, and leave it at that. If Ice have the balls to take you to court, request all the complaints about Ice from Conreg and bring them to the courthouse. Might as well bring this thread too, its a big one.

Ice are a shambles. Hopefully they will sink and disappear forever so as to spare others of the misery of their "Service".

A friend of mine worked for them before and said he was embarrassed to tell anyone he was with Ice, they were so bad.
    Reckoned he'd never get a job anywhere else with them on his CV, after he saw the quality of their "Engineers" there.

yeah, i was thinkin that this crowd must be in trouble. Just spoke to customer services. Its been out now in Murroe Co. Limerick for the last 10 days. Very funny phone call actually. I started by asking the guy if they were going to update the "network updates" section on the phone line, I'll make a note of that he says ha ha, so i kept hassling him to see if he was going to change it from "there are no known issues on the network" to "half our service in the country is down" haha.
    He thought I was finished with my questions then, I was only getting started.
    I then moved onto money.
    Are you going to be taking the monthly 37:99 from my account?
    We will be liasing with the accounts section and customers will be creditied for downtime........
    How much per day? per week? or per month without service???? ha ha
    He had no idea again ha ha ha
    So then i started asking about what the actual problem was
    he said they have engineers are looking at it
    I asked him if he knew what they were actually looking at?
    He didnt know
    I asked him if the engineers had phones, he said he wasnt going to ring them, i said it didnt have to be him specifically that rang them, but it might be nice if somebody did, just to let the rest of us know that they're alive even, theyve been down there a while!!! we might get worried!!!!
    I didnt really get a response to that ha ha.
    Anyway, time to get shut of these chancers
    I've never dealt with a company that was worse.
    In all dealings I have had with them they have been consistently incompetent. How any company that treats is customers like this can be given even a general authorisation to trade, (not a license as was said earlier in the thread), is beyond me. They are still advertising a service that they cant provide!!! How is that legal???????????????
    Maybe the advertising standards crowd might be next on my list, see if they can save unwitting civilians from signing up with these chancers
    watch this space for updates
    A Country Voice

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Hell Ice are so bad that make Eircom look good.
    My mate's on them.
    It's been down now the last few days (yet again) and I told him why not switch to Eircom who recently enabled the exchange.
    Get the 3meg line and you'll have no downtime...in the year I've been with eircom I've only lost 2 hours total to downtime...as much as I hate them I can't argue about their service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rubito

I am slowly but surely losing the will to live because of this crowd.This is what I am living with for weeks.I can't go on lol.576261059.pn[IMG]%3Ca%20href=http://www.speedtest.net target=_blank>[/img]576261059.png
    0.05Mb/s download
    0.03Mb/s upload
    ping 1006ms at < 50 miles n Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Olterior

I say we burn those mother****ers !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I do know that the problem in Murroe is with the generator that feeds power to their equipment here. Basically they can't get a permanent electrical cable to it so it's powered off a generator instead. The generator runs on diesel and when it runs out of diesel - that's right - no service. Someone has to go up to Moher or wherever the mast is to refuel. It must be costing them a fortune and tons of people in Murroe have cancelled the service and have switched to Munster broadband instead.

Eircom rang my grandad the other day (in Murroe) and asked him if he'd be interested in getting in their broadband service - they plan to upgrade the exchange by Christmas.

I have got to the point of sending registered letters to Ice to try and sort credit on the account for loss of service - it amounts to nearly €100 at this point - and they don't even respond to the registered letters. It is just incredible. You could write a book!

I'm going to get my credit sorted and then I am cancelling my direct debit and they can go feck themselves! I'd rather pay eircom line rental in order to get a reliable connection than pay €13 a month less to Ice for a shoddy service.

The funny thing is, with the amount of people cancelling the service in Murroe, contention issues must be lessening because my service has really sped up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

boomerang wrote: »
    I do know that the problem in Murroe is with the generator that feeds power to their equipment here. Basically they can't get a permanent electrical cable to it so it's powered off a generator instead. The generator runs on diesel and when it runs out of diesel - that's right - no service. Someone has to go up to Moher or wherever the mast is to refuel. It must be costing them a fortune and tons of people in Murroe have cancelled the service and have switched to Munster broadband instead.

Can't or won't :-/

Its hard to believe ESB wouldn't hook it up for a price. Maybe they just want rid of the contracted users judging from what you've posted :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Dublin%20North.jpg

I'm in oldtown !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That is a new exchange . If ye all hassle eircom to get connected to it it should eventually be big enough for an upgrade, ye need to get 300 lines on it one way or another .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

fayer wrote: »
    Dublin%20North.jpg

I'm in oldtown !

Then switch to digiweb mobile. Its available there. They are far better than Ice.
    My bf used to work for Ice and we still have friends working there - for now.
    They wont be around much longer. And their service wont be getting any better - thats for sure. Ice is melting.
    They should probably have treated their customers better when they could have made a good reputation for themselves, but chose to ignore and lie to customers once they had them.

But they are hemorrhaging customers now and everybody knows how bad Ice are now, thanks to this thread and good old google, so they wont be getting enough customers now to sustain themselves.
    Cant say anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

_Kooli_ wrote: »
    Then switch to digiweb mobile. Its available there. They are far better than Ice.
    My bf used to work for Ice and we still have friends working there - for now.
    They wont be around much longer. And their service wont be getting any better - thats for sure. Ice is melting.
    They should probably have treated their customers better when they could have made a good reputation for themselves, but chose to ignore and lie to customers once they had them.

But they are hemorrhaging customers now and everybody knows how bad Ice are now, thanks to this thread and good old google, so they wont be getting enough customers now to sustain themselves.
    Cant say anymore.

Was always going to happen given the way they treat customers, Ireland is too small a place.

When I moved in to my current house, we were getting Digiweb Metro and asked landlord for permission to attach the box to the house and he said who are you getting with, its not Ice is it?

Then told us how crap they were so everyone who was with them was spreading the word I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

They're still operating...

As much as I dislike the idea of anyone losing their jobs I'd still be very happy if they went under.

Here's the letter I've just sent to Ice ****band
    I hope they take every word of it in.
    Especially the warnings!
    Tell me what ye think of it lads

Accounts Section
    Ice Broadband
    50 A Rosemount Business Park
    Blanchardstown
    Dublin 15
    Dear Sir / Madam,
    Please note the following in relation to the Broadband service account at the above address. (I have never been given an account number and therefore cannot supply you with one).

1. Ice Broadband has continually breached its contract with me over the past 2 years by not supplying me with a service that is reasonable for sale.
    2. I am disgusted that a company with such a lack of respect for its customers is allowed to trade in this country. The level of service provided by your company to me over the past 2 years has been a disgrace. I will be following up your standard of customer service with the relevant authorities. When I say the relevant authorities I don’t mean ComReg, (which we both know will have no effect on your ability to do business), I’ll be going higher up the pecking order than that.
    3. How you can advertise that you can provide 100% broadband coverage in Limerick is beyond me. If I go onto the Ice Broadband site today as a prospective customer in the Murroe area, I am told by your website that I can sign up for broadband service. Your company can’t even supply broadband service to its existing customers, never mind trying to entice new customers on board!
    4. Over the past 12 months I estimate that the service has been down for over 4 months. This is a shockingly bad level of service. I am now demanding that 3 months worth of subscriptions be paid back to me immediately. In case you can’t manage the figures that’s €37:99 x 3 = €113:97. If I don’t receive payment of this sum, in a prompt fashion, I will consider my options in relation to litigation under the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980. (I think somebody in Ice Broadband should have a quick read of this at some stage soon).

Continued………..

Continued………..

5. I am now terminating the contract for broadband service with Ice Broadband. There will be no further payments from my bank account.

6. In relation to the recovery of your equipment. I will permit you to recover your equipment by appointment only. A prior appointment, with a minimum 48 hours notice will be required for Ice Broadbands staff or agents to enter my property. Any Ice Broadband staff or agent found on my property without permission, or prior appointment with be dealt with severely. In order to make the appointment to recover the equipment you will need to phone me at the mobile number above. This is now the only contact number I wish to use with Ice Broadband. I will then decide if the time and date are suitable.

Yours Sincerely

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭emmbaasee

Here's the letter I've just sent to Ice ****band
    I hope they take every word of it in.
    Especially the warnings!
    Tell me what ye think of it lads

Accounts Section
    Ice Broadband
    50 A Rosemount Business Park
    Blanchardstown
    Dublin 15
    Dear Sir / Madam,
    Please note the following in relation to the Broadband service account at the above address. (I have never been given an account number and therefore cannot supply you with one).

1. Ice Broadband has continually breached its contract with me over the past 2 years by not supplying me with a service that is reasonable for sale.
    2. I am disgusted that a company with such a lack of respect for its customers is allowed to trade in this country. The level of service provided by your company to me over the past 2 years has been a disgrace. I will be following up your standard of customer service with the relevant authorities. When I say the relevant authorities I don’t mean ComReg, (which we both know will have no effect on your ability to do business), I’ll be going higher up the pecking order than that.
    3. How you can advertise that you can provide 100% broadband coverage in Limerick is beyond me. If I go onto the Ice Broadband site today as a prospective customer in the Murroe area, I am told by your website that I can sign up for broadband service. Your company can’t even supply broadband service to its existing customers, never mind trying to entice new customers on board!
    4. Over the past 12 months I estimate that the service has been down for over 4 months. This is a shockingly bad level of service. I am now demanding that 3 months worth of subscriptions be paid back to me immediately. In case you can’t manage the figures that’s €37:99 x 3 = €113:97. If I don’t receive payment of this sum, in a prompt fashion, I will consider my options in relation to litigation under the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980. (I think somebody in Ice Broadband should have a quick read of this at some stage soon).

Continued………..

Continued………..

5. I am now terminating the contract for broadband service with Ice Broadband. There will be no further payments from my bank account.

6. In relation to the recovery of your equipment. I will permit you to recover your equipment by appointment only. A prior appointment, with a minimum 48 hours notice will be required for Ice Broadbands staff or agents to enter my property. Any Ice Broadband staff or agent found on my property without permission, or prior appointment with be dealt with severely. In order to make the appointment to recover the equipment you will need to phone me at the mobile number above. This is now the only contact number I wish to use with Ice Broadband. I will then decide if the time and date are suitable.

Yours Sincerely

Followed up by a couple of phone calls, all to no avail.
    No refund.
    In the end i cancelled my direct debit and that was that.
    There ****e is still on the roof of my house 8 months on.
    As ive said before here , there a joke
    I'll be happy when i hear there gone bust

As for comreg ? Another joke that's even worse than Ice

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Tommie Kelly

I see that their complaints phone number has been disconnected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 merc998

Bloody outrageous it is quoting 3mb and giving you less than half that same thing with every1 of them!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement