Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Broadband steadily becoming even more terrible

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

I emailed Comreg last Tuesday and I haven't even got a response from them yet.

We're all getting screwed and they don't give a toss basically.

Like so many other things in Ireland Comreg has been set up to provide wages and jobs - that's what it's about and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

bartificer wrote:
    They are a tootless farce set up by the government so that it looks like they're doing something.

Surely a lawsuit for breach of contract is possible if it can be proved that they are deliberately exceeding the specified contention ratio in any given area. At the very least the ASAI could be forced to get involved.

I've already complained to them about their 'no download cap' claim (which is contradicted in the T&Cs - 'reasonable usage').

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mapone.

crawler wrote:
    Hmm....

Would be unfair for me to comment on ICE coz of who I am etc...but in GENERAL...

It is extremely difficult to run a wireless network in Ireland using mainly unlicensed spectrum - not that the spectrum is bad, it is simply unpredictable and in congested areas unreliable (due to all channels being used). Many of the unlicensed channels also overlap which case issues....2.4Ghz is used by everything from baby monitors to wifi routers to garage door openers...and increasingly 5.4/8Ghz is filling up (due to issues @ 2.4Ghz)

Mods - feel free to delete this if you think I am being unfair here but I am SPECIFICALLY talking spectrum here not my good friends in ICE.

Seen on another forum

just joined
    User  MARLOW

Radio: 2x Wistron CM9 cards (std. 100mW) running 5 GHz-turbo mode
    That setup on both sides obviously. The general througput we're getting 
    on a link like that..........

/Martin

Two links side by side using G-turbo would use a good bit of the available spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

mapone. wrote:
    Radio: 2x Wistron CM9 cards (std. 100mW) running 5 GHz-turbo mode

Two links side by side using G-turbo would use a good bit of the available spectrum.

Not really, because first of all to avoid interference, one link in a setup like that is in horizontal, the other in vertical and they have to be 200 MHz apart to avoid the radios to interfere.

Also, if you read my post thoroughly, I was talking about a-turbo (5 GHz), not g-turbo (2.4 GHz). The turbo-mode is not very effective and you will at times get less throughput on a turbo channel, than on a careful selected regular 20 or 10 MHz wide channel.

I don't see, what this has to do with ICE Broadband though ?

/Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Could getting in touch with the media help at all?

• Advertisement

My download speed according to irishisptest is actually 56kbs.
    Unbelievable.

I've put up with this too long now - if you're having the same problems as me contact comreg with CSV files of your speed tests and then CANCEL your service.
    They WON'T and CAN'T hit you for the €100 cancellation charge once you've proved to Comreg how bad your situation is.

I think that anyone that's been in my boat should show Ice that they can't get away with this crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

Didnt want to post until i had proper speeds for at least 2 weeks.

I never received a callback from Ice support at all but for the last 2 weeks my speeds have been good

196286773.png

2 Weeks is the longest they have been like this for so fingers crossed.
    Even pings are not spiking like they used to.
    Still some packet loss though not as much as before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭bartificer

MrVostro wrote: »
    Didnt want to post until i had proper speeds for at least 2 weeks.

I never received a callback from Ice support at all but for the last 2 weeks my speeds have been good

196286773.png

2 Weeks is the longest they have been like this for so fingers crossed.

Same situation myself. I've been afraid to post because the last time I said something good about ICE my service went to ****e the next day!

I also never got a call back but my service has been good for a few weeks now. Contention is still a big issue at some times of the day but in general it's been good.

Bart.

bartificer wrote: »
    Same situation myself. I've been afraid to post because the last time I said something good about ICE my service went to ****e the next day!

I also never got a call back but my service has been good for a few weeks now. Contention is still a big issue at some times of the day but in general it's been good.

Bart.

I don't want to put the mockers on you but you know it won't last!

Mrplop.

mrplop wrote: »
    I don't want to put the mockers on you but you know it won't last!

Mrplop.

I know. it never has before. But its never been good for 2 straight weeks either.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Can I ask if anybody else is having problems getting to a few sites tonight, mainly utorrent.com and apple.com .. I mean...c'mon..Apple ffs!

I ping/traceroute and all I get is "Destination Net Unreachable" the rest of the interweb that I would frequent works fine and I've used online tools to check are these sites running and they're fine (Anonymouse, Network Tools etc)

Can I ask if anybody else is having problems getting to a few sites tonight, mainly utorrent.com and apple.com .. I mean...c'mon..Apple ffs!

I ping/traceroute and all I get is "Destination Net Unreachable" the rest of the interweb that I would frequent works fine and I've used online tools to check are these sites running and they're fine (Anonymouse, Network Tools etc)

They are working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Yep, my bad. The connection was being gay anyways and something messed up with my winblows!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,322 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

hey lads

hows ice broadband going for ye

i live in an area that the exchange hasn't been updated and the only broadband that is in my area is ice broadband

so is ice worth getting

hey lads

hows ice broadband going for ye

i live in an area that the exchange hasn't been updated and the only broadband that is in my area is ice broadband

so is ice worth getting

I'd avoid Ice like the plague because they're awful and the don't give a sh!t about their customers.
    I really mean this with all my heart too!
    I suspect a company like Ice couldn't exist in any other part of Europe - in this country it seems providers can take the piss as much as they like with impunity.

If you've got absolutely no choice then go for it.

Even really terrible broadband is better than no Broadband I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

With them now for about 9 months. Had fierce trouble at the start. Useless customer service. Absolutely abysmal! But sure what do you expect when Fran "f**k up the FAI" Rooney's daughter is CEO. The chap is a tosser.

In saying all that after F-ing them out of it it got sorted and they've been fine since!

thanks for the replies lads

if ice start taking the piss by very slow broadband
    by not having the advertised speed

could i get out of the contract ?

thanks for the replies lads

if ice start taking the piss by very slow broadband
    by not having the advertised speed

could i get out of the contract ?

They'll try to charge a €100 disconection fee.

They will waffle on about the thity six to one contention rate but if you're getting speeds below 500kbs I believe they don't argue.

And if the worst comes to the worst make a complaint to Comreg.

To back yourself up just do speedtests on a regular basis and keep the CSV files...

Well mine is worse than ever tonight.
    Way worse than dial up.
    And the best laugh is i cant get to any of the usual speed test websites to measure the speed at all.
    They are just not loading.
    I wonder why.

Other pages load ... very slowly (this page took about 2 minutes to load).. but the speed test sites dont load at all.

if im able to get ice broadband what package should i go for

i would be playing the ps3 online and downloading torrents

70 euro for the Gaming Broadband is a tab over the top

• Advertisement

if im able to get ice broadband what package should i go for

i would be playing the ps3 online and downloading torrents

70 euro for the Gaming Broadband is a tab over the top

Online gaming with Ice is a complete no no.
    Voip is impossible too - I've tried it too.
    Sounds like you're talking to someone in the Matrix - the €70 euro package is a scam.
    Seriously, don't do it!

mrplop wrote: »
    Online gaming with Ice is a complete no no.
    Voip is impossible too - I've tried it too.
    Sounds like you're talking to someone in the Matrix - the €70 euro package is a scam.
    Seriously, don't do it!

Ditto.
    If you cant get broadband anywhere - and i mean anywhere - else then and only then might ice be ok for you as a substitute for dial up.
    It really is the bottom of the heap.

VOIP is useless.
    Gaming is worse than useless.

ice is my only option for broadband at the moment.

dont really care about playing online,once im able to download demos etc

ice is my only option for broadband at the moment.

dont really care about playing online,once im able to download demos etc

I've got a PS3 as well.
    I know some of those demos are over 700mb.
    I hope you don't mind waiting a while for 'em - I tried a couple of times and it took a f*cking age.

Apparently Ice don't operate tech support after 6 on a Friday anymore although their website states they're on until 9 pm.
    That's the way these idiots operate - if your connection screws up after 6 on a Friday you're screwed.
    Not that half of their new tech people are any good anyway.
    I actually had one of their new guys try to tell me there was probably a tree in front of the mast.
    This tree must mysteriously appear after 6 o'clock because that's when my connection turns to crap.

They truly are a bunch of lying chancers.

Rant over.

Well mine is worse than ever tonight.
    Way worse than dial up.
    And the best laugh is i cant get to any of the usual speed test websites to measure the speed at all.
    They are just not loading.
    I wonder why.

Other pages load ... very slowly (this page took about 2 minutes to load).. but the speed test sites dont load at all.

I told you it would go boobies up didn't I?

At least Ice are consistent when it comes to letting their customers down.

I think your tree moved over to my house for its holidays then.

Here is the fastest speed ive gotten all week.
    And thats only when i can even get to a speed testing website .

This page took 2 minutes to load.

And no, nobody there yesterday today or Friday at all (or any time ive ever called them).

201194566.png

I think your tree moved over to my house for its holidays then.

Here is the fastest speed ive gotten all week.
    And thats only when i can even get to a speed testing website .

This page took 2 minutes to load.

And no, nobody there yesterday today or Friday at all (or any time ive ever called them).

201194566.png

Pretty much the same as my stats unless I'm surfing at about 2.00am

They'll get what's coming to them eventually - they can't take the piss like this and get away with it forever.

This evenings sh!te "broadband" speed from ICE
    And no answer on the phone ... AGAIN

This is supposed to be 3Mb/1Mb - would you believe
    Gamers/VOIPers - Check out the ping

201479775.png

Mines not as bad but still sh!te all the same

201483280.png

God I hate them.

• Advertisement

This evenings sh!te "broadband" speed from ICE
    And no answer on the phone ... AGAIN

This is supposed to be 3Mb/1Mb - would you believe
    Gamers/VOIPers - Check out the ping

201479775.png
    It's the tree monster!

And if you get through on the phone they'll say your case will be escalated to second line support - then they'll do f*ck all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement