Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie fantasy football thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I it the bullet and used my wildcard to get Ronaldo out. Bit early in the season but there were a few changes I wanted to make and didn't want to hang onto Ronaldo while he was losing value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

What an amazingly bad start to the season (in fantasy terms anyway). Pairing Rooney and Ronaldo together really didn't pay-off in the way that I expected. I'm also pretty shocked that none of my back five (Pompey, Chelsea, Everton) have managed to keep a clean sheet so far. The only highlight was Stubbs' goal in midweek.

I look forward to propping up the table for the rest of the year. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I ****ed up subbed Ronaldo for Utaka but neve confirmed the changes :(

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

this spurs game is killing me. I've Chimbonda and Jenas both on the bench.
    Also I've been telling people to buy Sibierski all week, I didn't want to do it this week as it would have been my second transfer and didn't want to take the points hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Marlbranque double. yay!

Glad I didn't tranfer him out now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

hunt the only one who scored decent for me today... bah... need some big performances tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

wow. Sibierski's transfers in have jumped by over 1000 in the half hour since the match finished. I wonder if I should drop Gerrard for him for this gameweek seeing as Stevie G is more than likely going to be rested against Sunderland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Ive dropped out of our league's top 50 but still have 8 players incl captain to play tomorrow so fingers crossed :)

Aside, our league is now ranked 6 / 82,837 :eek: G'wan fellow boardsies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

SofaKing wrote:
    Aside, our league is now ranked 6 / 82,837 :eek: G'wan fellow boardsies!

We've dropped to 47th after todays scores but theres tomorrow to come.

I only picked up 12 points today but I still have 6 players playing tomorrow. I'm in 229th place in the boards league so I need lots of points to catch up to the leaders.

Roll on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Terrible day yesterday, but I didn't check the league table because I still have 6 players playing today. Come on boys! (Except Richard Dunne, I'd take a crap performance from him :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

A terrible two days for me. The top sides have cost me a lot of points while the so called poorer sides are doing very well.

Boards are now 17th out of 83,073 leagues. Thats very good scoring. Long may it last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Not too good for me either 36 points.. thankfully Dunne propped up the rest of the team..

I've now taken up position 69 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

One thing I've learnt is if you spend use the whole 100m there's no chance of you doing well. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭iloveireland

thrill wrote:
    A terrible two days for me. The top sides have cost me a lot of points while the so called poorer sides are doing very well.

Boards are now 17th out of 83,073 leagues. Thats very good scoring. Long may it last.

How is each league compared since some leagues have far more teams? Is it the average score of each league?

I am ranked 147th out of 1.1 million people :eek:

How is each league compared since some leagues have far more teams? Is it the average score of each league?

I am ranked 147th out of 1.1 million people :eek:
    It's based on the average score of the top 5 players in each league.

I only dropped to 35th amazingly, seeing as the day I had. Malouda got me a nice assist :D

• Advertisement

^ You're not in the Boards.ie league ?

SofaKing wrote:
    ^ You're not in the Boards.ie league ?

I am in the boards league aswell. i have 4 different teams.:)

Noble is defo going into my team. Cheap as hell and takes penos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Malouda got me a nice assist :D
    He should have got a red card.....:mad: along with Essien :mad: :mad:

Thinking about gutting my team from GW4 with my wild card and looking at a few options...this is what I have come up with so far...
    What do people think would be my best option going forward?

I'll prob try a few more combinations over the next few days but this is what I came up with today

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Thinking about gutting my team from GW4 with my wild card and looking at a few options...this is what I have come up with so far...
    What do people think would be my best option going forward?
    Don't do it! Stick with the one free transfer a week and save that wildcard for the inevitable pileup of matches at xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

SofaKing wrote:
    Don't do it! Stick with the one free transfer a week and save that wildcard for the inevitable pileup of matches at xmas.
    Half my team were injured, suspended or just not playing. If I didn't use the wildcard already I'd have been bottom of the league and lost interest. I think it's definitely wiser to use the wildcard early and sort out your team. If you have a squad of regular starters that's the most important thing.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Half my team were injured, suspended or just not playing. If I didn't use the wildcard already I'd have been bottom of the league and lost interest. I think it's definitely wiser to use the wildcard early and sort out your team. If you have a squad of regular starters that's the most important thing.

If i didnt use my wild card id be ****ed too

Much better to get a good start and get all your players starting every match. Using your wildcard may be useful come christmas when some teams have 2 games a week but if some of them teams are Fulham or Wigan then you will be ****ed after christmas and you will be stuck with players from Fulham etc. If you are clever enough you can get the right players in each week about a month before the christmas period and you should be grand.

Well from personal experience last year, I had a v. poor start (missed deadlines, players not playng, etc) but stuck with it and saved the wildcard till xmas and very gradually rose up the rankings and finished 1,271st in the world :eek:

Good times :)

So i think the key is not to do too much tinkering early on ( even if you are decimated by injury / bans) and just to do the 1 / 2 transfers a week to keep pace with the frontrunners. And use that wildcard later on for when the games come thick and fast.

OK, I'll try to resist using wild card this week and go for 2 transfers every week for next 3 weeks until my team is the way I'd like it...I'll prob not be able to afford them then

Jagielka & Distin out for Terry & Richards

Lex Luthor wrote:
    OK, I'll try to resist using wild card this week and go for 2 transfers every week for next 3 weeks until my team is the way I'd like it...I'll prob not be able to afford them then

Jagielka & Distin out for Terry & Richards

Bad move in my opinion. i would just get terry in. You will be -4 points every week. Not worth it. Use the wild card now and a month before Christmas sort your team out by looking at the month ahead and try getting in the players that will be playing twice a week during the christmas period. I used my wildcard and my team is class now and every player is starting.
    If you do decide to use the wildcard then get a few Newcastle players in, they dont have to play any of the big sides in the next 11 games. They should go on a nice run of results over the next two months.

If you do decide to use the wildcard then get a few Newcastle players in, they dont have to play any of the big sides in the next 11 games. They should go on a nice run of results over the next two months.
    any suggestions? I heard Martins has been given the green light to go if they get 13m for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Is there websites that give updates on players injuries? want to know about baines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

Here is the best one. Baines in not injured anymore as he was on the bench last weekend. Just a question of wether he'll get picked ahead of valente

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

Anyone know what the story is with Gerrard? I remember Benitez saying he might be rested for a game or two after giving him injections to get him through the Chelsea game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I heard Martins has been given the green light to go if they get 13m for him

Ah crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I heard Martins has been given the green light to go if they get 13m for him

They dont have a choice that is the release clause in his contract. He has come out and said that he doesn't want to leave and would be happy to sign a new extended contract without this clause. I presume he would want more money though.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    any suggestions? I heard Martins has been given the green light to go if they get 13m for him

Nzogbia, Milner, Taylor, Geremi, Rozenhal, maybe Owen and Martins should stay. Most of these players are very cheap.

I can't resist....must use wild card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Don't the season hasn't evened out yet. Wait at least 2/3 weeks until you can see how teams are shaping up.

Whats all this talk of a pileup at Christmas? I've looked ahead at the fixtures and there doesnt seem to be any mention of two teams playing twice in the same gameweek during the Christmas festivities. Yes sure theres a lot of playing on Steven's day and the following weekend etc but thats no different than last week with games on Sat/Sun then Tue/Wed and then Sat/Sun again. I know the Liverpool v Westham game and a few others have to be rescheduled but its hardly worth holding the wildcard for that? Also, clever use of the wildcard now might let you pick a team thats gonna go up in value which gives you more money to play around with. Plus, once its gone you dont have to waste time thinking about when you're gonna use it to get the best results. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Anyone know what the story is with Gerrard? I remember Benitez saying he might be rested for a game or two after giving him injections to get him through the Chelsea game.

He won't be playing on Saturday. That's him and Ronaldo, two of the big midfielders missing gameweeks. I'd say most people will bring in Lampard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Whats all this talk of a pileup at Christmas? I've looked ahead at the fixtures and there doesnt seem to be any mention of two teams playing twice in the same gameweek during the Christmas festivities. Yes sure theres a lot of playing on Steven's day and the following weekend etc but thats no different than last week with games on Sat/Sun then Tue/Wed and then Sat/Sun again. I know the Liverpool v Westham game and a few others have to be rescheduled but its hardly worth holding the wildcard for that? Also, clever use of the wildcard now might let you pick a team thats gonna go up in value which gives you more money to play around with. Plus, once its gone you dont have to waste time thinking about when you're gonna use it to get the best results. ;)

See problems may arise when injuries happen. If one of your key players get injured in this period he's likely to miss more games. If he would normally miss 2 games he's likely to miss 4 games or so. Also with the frequency of games injuries are more likely to happen. I know may only necessitate one tranfer but if it stops you from making other changes that would have improved your team, you team can quickly become quite weak. This is all hypothetical of course. Your team could coast through the Christmas period with no problems, but to me it seems like a good idea to have a back up.

Lemlin wrote:
    He won't be playing on Saturday. That's him and Ronaldo, two of the big midfielders missing gameweeks. I'd say most people will bring in Lampard.
    Yep just saw the news earlier, unfortunately Lampard is a bit more expensive. So I brought in Scholes. Spurs still have injury problems defensively, and with the amount of chances United are creating in games recently there has to be some team about to get a wallopping :)

• Advertisement

This may be a stupid question, but was just looking at prices of players there, and noticed that Ronaldo has only gone down to 0.1 to 11.9m. How hasn't he gone down more, considering 220,000 ppl nett have sold him?
    As a contrast I have Luke Moore as a sub, and just under 3,000 people nett have sold him, yet he's dropped from5.5 to 5.3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Because it's about the % of people who sell him. Ronaldo was selected by like 38% of people so 220k isn't that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

This may be a stupid question, but was just looking at prices of players there, and noticed that Ronaldo has only gone down to 0.1 to 11.9m. How hasn't he gone down more, considering 220,000 ppl nett have sold him?
    As a contrast I have Luke Moore as a sub, and just under 3,000 people nett have sold him, yet he's dropped from5.5 to 5.3.
    I'm guessing that the reason is that the 220K people that have transferred Ronaldo out is a smaller percentage of the overall people that have him in their team compared to Moore's 3,000

Ahhh! Cheers!

Ronaldo was originally selected by 59% so being dropped by 226216 teams so he's only selected by 30% is a big drop. Thats roughly 20% of all the teams that are now entered have dropped Ronaldo. I agree. He should be worth a LOT less by now. The same with Berbatov. Look at how much Rooney dropped in comparison.

The real killer will be when it comes to buying him back. His price will skyrocket whereas it should just go back to 12.0, if he has a couple of good games, he'll be at 13.0 in no time at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

will Gerrard be ready for tomorrow do you think? I have him set to play, not sure if I should sub him. only my sub is Pennant and he's sh*te

• Advertisement

Too many of my players this evening are showing up as only possibles to play this weekend and are doubtful with injuries, so it sort of forced my hand to play my wild card. I'll let you know on Monday if it paid off or not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Can I get in on this? Can I get the code somewhere? I subbed out Ronaldo this week, and as much as it pains me, I've got Lampard in.

Kanney wrote:
    Can I get the code somewhere?
    1997-1042

The Bollox wrote:
    will Gerrard be ready for tomorrow do you think? I have him set to play, not sure if I should sub him. only my sub is Pennant and he's sh*te
    No, Gerrard is out according to Sky Sports.

Bah, terrible day. And -2 for missing a penalty? :confused: That's so harsh!

• Advertisement
Advertisement