Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie fantasy football thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Fair enough. but how am I a "Johnny come lately"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Fair enough. but how am I a "Johnny come lately"?
    Don't remember you congratulating me last season after my amazing end of season run. Pretty sure you didn't post to many Fantasy Football related posts. Hence you are a Johnny come lately. Don't worry though, Pigheads still not angry.

ah. Thats just because I didnt get my access request approved in time. Long time lurker and ff player, not so long boasting about my achievement. ;)
    Come week 38 it'll be different this time. I assure you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I've gone for a bit of a gamble this week. With Scholes looking like he'll be out for a while, I brought in Anderson for saturday. He'll surely keep his place, and he's due his first goal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Smegball wrote: »
    Heres my team atm:Quite liking it

James
    Ferdinand----Finnan----Richards
    Baines
    Elano
    Ronaldo
    Fabregas----
    ----Adebayor----Tevez----Santa Cruz
    Absolutely crazy selection!!! Ferdinand at right back and Finnan in the centre? Is that you Steve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Absolutely crazy selection!!! Ferdinand at right back and Finnan in the centre? Is that you Steve?

:D:D Don't worry Johnathon Douglas is waiting on the bench ready to save the team :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Casper Schmeichel loaned to Cardiff so for anybody who still has him it might be time to get rid ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I've revoked my 'No Ronaldo' policy for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just the one change this week. Tevez in to run riot against Boro.

Friedel

Dunne---Lescott---Shorey

Ronaldo---Elano---Johnson---Fabregas

Santa Cruz---Tevez---Torres

Not sure who captain will be. Set to Ronaldo at the mo but I'll decide just before kick off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Just the one change this week. Tevez in to run riot against Boro.

Friedel

Dunne---Lescott---Shorey

Ronaldo---Elano---Johnson---Fabregas

Santa Cruz---Tevez---Torres

Not sure who captain will be. Set to Ronaldo at the mo but I'll decide just before kick off.
    I swapped Van Persie for Tevez. In as captain. I'm wary about playing two City defenders tomorrow, especially it being away from home, so I have to choose between Dunne and Richards... Dunne?

• Advertisement

kinaldo wrote: »
    I swapped Van Persie for Tevez. In as captain. I'm wary about playing two City defenders tomorrow, especially it being away from home, so I have to choose between Dunne and Richards... Dunne?

Much of a muchness really. Dunne's more likely to score an O.G., Richards is more likely to give away a peno. Dunne scores more though.

Much of a muchness indeed. I went without Dunne because his late og at home to Man Utd three seasons ago cost me a 3 way correct score accumulator and over 4k in winnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

10 points from 6 players for me so far. :eek:

Maybe time to start offloading some City players...

At least Tevez coming in as captain paid off for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Ronaldo as captain :(
    But, Teveth and Kapo have rescued me somewhat. Also, Evra not playing has messed me up a bit.

kinaldo wrote: »
    Maybe time to start offloading some City players...

At least Tevez coming in as captain paid off for me.

Yes thank f*ck I made that decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Tevez or Adebayor to score more points between now and end season? Bought Adebayor for 7.9mill but dont think he will score as much as Tevez over rest of season so considering changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Rooney as captain has done me nicely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

When making my transfer yesterday I had to decide between swapping Gareth Barry for Lampard or Berbatov for Rooney. So naturally I sold Berbatov and bought Keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

8 points :(

*Really* tempted to do a wildcard right now; all I had to do was click 'confirm wildcard' and I had a team I was well happy with [currently!]...

I shall refrain from hasty decisions..

• Advertisement

5 points :(

Thankfully James & Distin currently have clean sheets at half time, and I've a few to play tomorrow. Still gonna be a crap weekend though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Have Rooney and Essien - neither as capt though...kept faith with Ronaldo:(
    40 pts so far...but only 4 left to play though, including Clichy, Fabregas and Eduardo(:o)...come on the gunners:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Only 16 points so far. But at least I took Richards out of my team this weekend. But still have 5 players to go so its not a complete disaster (yet)

Thought I was in business with James in goals instead of Green this week. Then a last minute penalty save by the latter made that decision look foolish.
    As did selecting Ronaldo over Tevez as Captain. Think I might drop Petrov and Rocky Santa Cruz for Lampard and Jones as both seem to be coming good.
    Then I'll have a line up of:
    James
    Richards Ferdinand Lescott Laursen
    Ronaldo Lampard Fabergas Elano
    Tevez Benjani

with Hreiderson, Nzogbia, Jones and Green on the bench which aint too shabby thusfar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Long time lurker, first time happy poster :D, Pathetico Madrid are making moves for the top 10!

Switched Fabregas off captaincy (Liverpool midfield will be crowding him tomorrow) for Tevez :)

On the downside, Ingimarsson didn't play :( so i'll have two pool defenders vs. Fabregas and Adebayor. Here's hoping for 3-3 with Finnan and Carragher to score!

Tricky gameweek.

32 points with 5 players still to go, although 26 of them have come from Tevez. A goal for Torres and 4 assists from Cesc would be nice. Also a Blackburn win, Santa Cruz getting 3, and a Friedel clean sheet.

Took the hit to bring in Lampard and Jones which reduced my team value by 0.7million but thankfully both players went up 0.1 as soon as they came in. No longer on the front page of most valuable teams (only 107.2million now) and I'm back to faltering around in the mid 400 points. If I hadnt made so many changes I'd be bearing down on the top 500. :eek: There should be some sort of reward scheme for making a profit each gameweek i.e. 4 points if the players you buy in outperform the ones you sold too or else give us all the money a players worth when you sell him on.

Took the hit to bring in Lampard and Jones which reduced my team value by 0.7million but thankfully both players went up 0.1 as soon as they came in. No longer on the front page of most valuable teams (only 107.2million now) and I'm back to faltering around in the mid 400 points. If I hadnt made so many changes I'd be bearing down on the top 500. :eek: There should be some sort of reward scheme for making a profit each gameweek i.e. 4 points if the players you buy in outperform the ones you sold too or else give us all the money a players worth when you sell him on.

I don't understand why you're so hung up on players values. What does it get you? Maybe it's my naivety but the game is based on points, not how much your team is worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

:( I should have wildcarded yesterday; bloody change in some of my wanted players value since then :(

New team as of today [wildcarded]

Cech
    Gallas : Ferdinand : Bridge : Dunne : Hreiderson
    J. Cole : Elano : Fabregas
    Tevez : Santa Cruz

James, Benjani, Smertin, Dempsey.

Bridge is back from his suspension for the Wigan game so I may as well start him.

Depending on how things so, prolly end up with a 433 for next weekend over the 532.

• Advertisement

Oh I'm onto page 1 in 50th position. Lovely.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I don't understand why you're so hung up on players values. What does it get you? Maybe it's my naivety but the game is based on points, not how much your team is worth.

It should pay off in the long run. Last year I had the same team throughout and when a few key players got injured I couldnt afford to replace them with anyone good. Next thing I knew I was overtaken on the last day by a team that had all the expensive guys. My plan this year is to make as much money as I can by Christmas while trying to remain competitive in points and then buy in anyone thats performing over and above with the extra cash. (hopefully by then to have a team like:
    Reina
    Carragher Richards Caravalho Ferdinand
    Ronaldo Elano Lampard Fabergas
    Tevez Drogba

with decent substitutes in case of emergency. I'm already over half way there. I may not win boards league with this tactic but I should have more than enough to win the other leagues I'm in.

I'm not even gonna look at the boards table until the end of the day, most shocking weekend so far.

35pts up to 12th, but Anelka has already scored / got booked for me today, and Yobo's looking good for a clean sheet. Fabregas, Toure and Gerrard still to play.

Good start to the day with a Lescott clean sheet. Come on Blackburn!

And just as I say that they go one down

• Advertisement

Gerrard you beauty! A Toure / Cesc goal now would be Fab!

An assist for Santa Cruz! The little beauty.

Torres has f*cked me over for another week. Him out Drogba in I'm thinkin for next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Threw Tevez in on Friday in place of Van Persie and made him captain. Add in Arteta, Fabregas, James, and a couple of ManU defenders and I've finished the weekend with 66 pts. Not a bad weekend's work.

damn it, was sure I was gonna crack into the top 10 tonight, instead I have to settle for 11th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

73 points this week! Looks like the wildcard payed off anyway for now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

48 points, Lampard as captain saved my ass.

signed Alonso during the week and now injured, might have to sell him now :(

i've dumped Torres (injured and hasn't done much) so i signed Tevez before his price jumps

signed Fabregas mainly because i've been fooked over not having in my team when everyone else is raking in the points with him, bet ya he won't score for the rest of the season now! :p

i'm on 502 but i still haven't broke 60 points even once this season :(

squad is now

=========== Van der Sar - Niemi =============
    === Corluka - Vidic - Carragher - Upson - Baines ===
    == Fabregas - Alonso - Lampard - Noble - Johnson ==
    ========== Miller - Tevez - Adebayor ==========

hoping for 6-6 draw with hat-tricks from Fab, Tevez and Adebayor in the Arsenal United match next week!

I really dont get what the thing with Adebayor is. How did he manage to get so many points? Ok he had one lucky week against Derby when Van Persie was sidelined. He squaders chance after chance otherwise. Cesc would be a lot higher from assists if Adebayor managed to put away even a handful of his opportunities. Anelka is even a better bet than him ffs. Keane or the bargain bin Benjani / Jones combo might be good bets till Van Persie makes his return assuming you cant afford Rooney or Drogba who both seem to be on fire lately.

After the horror show on saturday I would've been happy just to get out of the 30's, so I'm delighted to end up with 52 :eek:Up to 21st. Fabregas and Bentley saved my ass yesterday.

Took a 4-point hit for the first time this season: Brought back Arteta and Tevez, sold Anderson (brought him in for Scholes for the 'boro game, didn't quite come off) and Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I really dont get what the thing with Adebayor is. How did he manage to get so many points? Ok he had one lucky week against Derby when Van Persie was sidelined. He squaders chance after chance otherwise. Cesc would be a lot higher from assists if Adebayor managed to put away even a handful of his opportunities. Anelka is even a better bet than him ffs. Keane or the bargain bin Benjani / Jones combo might be good bets till Van Persie makes his return assuming you cant afford Rooney or Drogba who both seem to be on fire lately.

Well in fairness he is the main striker for the team on top of the premiership and is second in the top scorers list so i can see where people are coming from. However currently I'd be inclined to agree that he is very hit and miss and not in great form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Considering I had 3 Man City defenders, 61 points is pretty darn good.

I was cursing myself all yesterday having Essien as 2nd priority subsitute and Ashley Cole 1st but the automatic changer picked Essien instead....nice

Why didn't Green get bonus points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

hey joined in gamesweek three so im way down, still top of every other league im in :D

but does anyone know where smertin has gone? Has he lost his place or just injured? Hasnt played in the last two weeks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Unearthly wrote: »
    Considering I had 3 Man City defenders, 61 points is pretty darn good.

I was cursing myself all yesterday having Essien as 2nd priority subsitute and Ashley Cole 1st but the automatic changer picked Essien instead....nice

Why didn't Green get bonus points?

The Man City defenders were shown up on Saturday, time to get rid me thinks ! Richards was muck.

Green got bonus pts as he saved a peno. I think theres 6pts for that alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yeah he got 5 points for a peno save but there are 3 bonus points in the game and considering it was 0-0 and he saved a peno, he deserved a shout for a few

Saving a peno doesnt make him man of the match. He was more than a bit suspect earlier on in the game but he made a few nice saves in the second half. The bonus points thing is pure luck. You can never bank on them. Goodness knows who decides them but theres always a few questionable ones every week.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Yeah he got 5 points for a peno save but there are 3 bonus points in the game and considering it was 0-0 and he saved a peno, he deserved a shout for a few

Distin got the 3 :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement