Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie fantasy football thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Yeah not so sure. Their defence did well last season, but Distin is gone now, he wasa vital cog.

My other question is 'to Ronaldo or to not Ronaldo, that is the question?!'
    He did so well last season but be costs 12million which is a lot. 60% of people have him in their team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Mhmm yeah i know what ya mean, i have Ronaldo in my team though. Sure he's cheaper than Henry was at the start of last season and i don't see why he'll stop scoring and assisting. I can't understand why so few people(relatively speaking) have Essien in their teams, I'd say he's gonna be big this year not having to play out of position all the time

Edit- Actually, is Neville injured or anything for United?

Yeah was looking at him aswell, but is he not gonna play quite deep?

Also just noticed: Man Citeh have 5 defenders, 5 midfielders, and 7 strikers!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Essien will probably be playing the holding midfield role at Chelsea, but he's still a threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭juanveron45

how does one join

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

just joined the Boards league there.
    Oh looking forward to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

oh yeah and who takes all the penalties in the Premiership? Could be important!

Arsenal - Gilberto
    Villa - Barry
    Liverpool - Stevie G
    Man U - Ronaldo? (not sure on this one)
    Chelski - Drogs or Lamps?
    Spurs - Is it normally Keane? or Berbatov
    Everton - Arteta took them last year, didn't he?
    Bolton - Is it Speed?
    Reading - Doyle

Anyone know who takes peno for anyone else?

Does Whitehead still take them for Sunderland? I think he's a snip at 5 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I changed my subs to the cheapest players I could find. Managed to get Peter Crouch (8.5m) instead of Leroy Lita (6.5m). Good move, I think. I now have:

Reina (GK)

Dunne (D)
    Terry (D)
    Mellberg (D)
    Ingimarsson (D)

Reo-Coker (M)
    Ronaldo (M) (Captain)
    Lampard (M)
    Whitehead (M)

Drogba (F)
    Crouch (F)

I think the only players not guaranteed to do well in that team are Ingimarsson (second season syndrome) and Dunne (who's lost his centre-back partner).

Lads,

Just wondering, who de ye think are the best of the cheap midfielders:

Teale DC 4.0 18
    Johnson MI 4.0 17
    Smertin FU 4.0 16
    Quashie WH 4.0 12
    Pattison NU 4.0 9
    Kavanagh SU 4.0 2
    Danns BC 4.0 0
    Muamba BC 4.0 0
    Elrich FU 4.0 0
    O'Brien BW 4.0 0
    Elliott FU 4.0 0
    Wallace SU 4.0 0
    Pearson DC 4.0 0
    Miller SU 4.0 0
    Cisse RE 4.0 0
    Johnson BC 4.0 0
    Nafti BC 4.0 0
    Malcolm 4.0

I'm looking basically for someone who gets the odd game to make up the numbers in case they're needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think both Miller and Smertin are likely to play quite a few games.

• Advertisement

Managed to get Peter Crouch (8.5m) instead of Leroy Lita (6.5m). Good move, I think.

Last season's league stats:
    Crouch: 31 appearances // 9 goals
    Lita: 22 appearances (11 as a sub) // 7 goals

And Lita has been on fire at the Under-20s. I reckon he's gonna have a great season.

I think both Miller and Smertin are likely to play quite a few games

Sanchez is giving the foreign players at Fulham short shrift, so I dunno how likely Smertin is to play. Muamba's worth a look, I reckon.

Last season's league stats:
    Crouch: 31 appearances // 9 goals
    Lita: 22 appearances (11 as a sub) // 7 goals

And Lita has been on fire at the Under-20s. I reckon he's gonna have a great season.

Also, you can get Tevez for the same price, and also, Crouch is gona have a tough time with Torres and Kuyt in front of him, and maybe Voronin too.

Don't tell him that! Jeez! If he wants to make a balls of his team by putting Crouch let him at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Triton wrote:
    Lads,

Just wondering, who de ye think are the best of the cheap midfielders:

Teale DC 4.0 18
    Johnson MI 4.0 17
    Smertin FU 4.0 16
    Quashie WH 4.0 12
    Pattison NU 4.0 9
    Kavanagh SU 4.0 2
    Danns BC 4.0 0
    Muamba BC 4.0 0
    Elrich FU 4.0 0
    O'Brien BW 4.0 0
    Elliott FU 4.0 0
    Wallace SU 4.0 0
    Pearson DC 4.0 0
    Miller SU 4.0 0
    Cisse RE 4.0 0
    Johnson BC 4.0 0
    Nafti BC 4.0 0
    Malcolm 4.0

I'm looking basically for someone who gets the odd game to make up the numbers in case they're needed.

Muamba at Birmingham played 41 times last season. Ex-Arsenal player who was on loan to BC last season. Signed during the Summer. Have just added him myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭henry hill

Have hargreaves in my squad. Not bad for 6.5M, but not sure if he'll have a regular place in the squad.

What do you guys think?? :confused:

Tevez in for Crouch.

>_>
    <_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

henry hill wrote:
    but not sure if he'll have a regular place in the squad.

I have a couple of Liverpool players in my squad and I'm beginning to wonder about keeping them. Rafa's a bit of a tinker man and a lot of their players may not get a regular spot in the side.

Decisions, decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

henry hill wrote:
    Have hargreaves in my squad. Not bad for 6.5M, but not sure if he'll have a regular place in the squad.

What do you guys think?? :confused:
    Hes a defensive midfielder so where do you think hes going to pick you up points :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

^Clean sheets i guess. But the rewards are too small compared to goals / assists from a midfielder for it to be worth buying a DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

SofaKing wrote:
    ^Clean sheets i guess. But the rewards are too small compared to goals / assists from a midfielder for it to be worth buying a DM.
    But midfielders don't get points for clean sheets sure they don't? I had Makelele in my team for the start of last season, big mistake. Even though he was an important part of Chelsea's team, defensive midfielders just don't pick up points.

Defenders get 1 point for a clean sheet. But there's no distinction between a DM and a AM / winger. So if Utd keep a clean sheet Hargreaves and Ronaldo both get a bonus point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

Essien is on of the few DM who might do ok as last year he picked up a rake of bonus points. Can see then same happening this year.

Liverpool rotate too much to be happy selecting them while wont utd have hargreaves and carrick likely to rotate in one spot too ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Have gone for a very cheap defence but all of my midfeild and attack contribute in MoM/assists/goals more than most. It's a gamble, hopefully it will pay off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

wardie wrote:
    Essien is on of the few DM who might do ok as last year he picked up a rake of bonus points. Can see then same happening this year.

Liverpool rotate too much to be happy selecting them while wont utd have hargreaves and carrick likely to rotate in one spot too ??

But at 8 million he's a bit on the expensive side, you can get an attacking free kick taker such as gamst pedersen for that much.

• Advertisement

wardie wrote:

The only Liverpool players I'd go for are Carragher and Reina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

The Wolves :D

1: James
    2: Dunne
    3: Finnan
    4: Woodgate
    5: Terry
    6: Fabregas
    7: Gerrard
    8: Ireland
    9: Drogba
    10: Tevez
    11: Doyle

What happens if Tevez (currently WH) or Drogba move? :confused:

You will then have a Man Utd instead of a West Ham player. And his shirt will change from Claret and Blue to Red. His price won't change if thats what your asking.

If Drogs moves he'll more than likely move abroad, so he'll just be taken off the list. (But he won't move!)

Triton wrote:

Finnan is a constant starter too.

Mido gone to Birmingham, could be a bit of a bargain ! He always gets goals once he starts games :D

Lets face it, theres nobody else going to score goals for Birmingham!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

im in, although like most years i'll get bored after a month and not change my team for the rest of the season..

Any other hints on players moving to better clubs where they'll do better (e.g. Tevez to United)?

I haven't played in a Fantasy Football game in ten years, could do with a few tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Triton wrote:
    Finnan or Agger are better bets than Carra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

1: Friedel
    2: Jagielka
    3: Lescott
    4: Stefanovic
    5: Ingimarsson
    6: Lampard (C)
    7: Gamst Pedersen
    8: Harper
    9: Petrov
    10: Drogba
    11: McCarthy

few cheap options in there, but Im hoping for big things from them!

No doubt I'll have tons of interest until Christmas and then forget about it as usual in the run in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Given
    Boyce
    Nosworthy
    Taylor (the Brum one)
    Ronaldo
    Lampard
    O'Neil (P'mouth one)
    Lennon
    Martins
    Rooney
    Bebatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

joined there (The Benns). this should be a bit of crack!

Many people getting Torres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

What do people think of Viduka? I just put him in, but I assume Owen and Martins will be the first choice pairing at Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Get ready for Griffdaddy F.C.! I operate a strict no Chelsea players policy as well, the militant Griffdaddy F.C. fans don't recognise them as legitimate transfer targets.:D

Have my squad picked, but down to the last 2 midfielders...I have a budget of max 10.5m for the 2 players.....any suggestions?

I have Milner (New) and Muamba (Bir) in at the moment. I could always get another 0.5m to 1.0m if I swapped Aliadiere for a cheaper striker, but for 6.5m I think he is a good 3rd choice striker behind Doyle & V.Persie.

Richardson (SU) for 5.5 is a great buy imo. Huddlestone for 5 might not be too bad either, especially since Spurs have not strengthened there.

• Advertisement

Its all about taactics in this, something a lot of people dont realise! Its all about having 5 midfielders, they score a lot better on average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Have my squad picked, but down to the last 2 midfielders...I have a budget of max 10.5m for the 2 players.....any suggestions?

I have Milner (New) and Muamba (Bir) in at the moment. I could always get another 0.5m to 1.0m if I swapped Aliadiere for a cheaper striker, but for 6.5m I think he is a good 3rd choice striker behind Doyle & V.Persie.

Mashcerano and Nigel Quashie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

I'm in.

I'm a Blackburn supporter as is slightly evident.

1: Howard
    2: Finnan
    3: Carragher
    4: Terry
    5: Ronaldo (C)
    6: Gamst Pedersen
    7: Richards-on
    8: Bentley
    9: Maschera-no
    10: McCarthy
    11: Tevez
    12: Niemi Goalkeep-er
    13: Halford Defender
    14: Jaidi Defender
    15: Stokes Forward

My team has been constantly tweaked etc, but here it is now, kinda nervous about it, first time I've put serious thought into it

1: Given
    2: Neville
    3: Upson
    4: Taylor
    5: Ronaldo (C)
    6: Lampard
    7: Richardson
    8: Fabregas
    9: Tevez
    10: Bianchi
    11: Berbatov
    ---
    12: Niemi
    13: Boyce
    14: Anderson
    15: Smertin

I've really gone for a top team, but all the subs will be regular players, so it won't be the worst thing in the world.
    My strength is clearly in midfield with Ronaldo, Lampard (who people are shockingly leaving out, the guy is a goals and assists machine) Fabregas and Richardson.
    Up front is strong, Berbatov, Tevez, and Bianchi (who I think could be the buy of the season at 7.5) I'm strongly considering replacing Berbatov with Van Persie, have to have a think about it.
    Defence is weakest, but Upson, Taylor (with Big Sam at Newcastle, much much fewer goals I think) and Neville (who if he hadn't gotten injured last season woulda been one of the top scorers in the league)
    Given also for the same reason as Taylor.

I really hate you can't play any formation you want. I want to play with four strikers :)

I think the reason most people don't have Lamps is that it's hard to afford two really expensive midfielders. Most poeple can only afford one, and go for Ronaldo. I think he'll do well again this season, as will Cesc. Good midfield alright!

The 'So Solid Carew' are entered. Come on!

Jeebus there's a lot of people in the league! How many are in it now?

Barton was going to be my rough diamond and hes now injured for the thext 6-8 weeks :mad:

Add Owen to that list (you just never know with him) and now Scholes and this is becoming tricky all of a sudden !

I have a strict no Frank policy :D

PHB, you better hope your strikers and MF's hit form cos your defence aint going to do you any favours.

Sizzler wrote:
    I have a strict no Frank policy :D

I had a strict no Ronaldo policy last season, and that didn't work out too well! Have had to review that this season!

I had a strict no Ronaldo policy last season, and that didn't work out too well! Have had to review that this season!

Season 05-06 everybody I was competing against had Lampard as captain and were racking up points for fun :( So last season I said feck this and went for Ronaldo instead and he was my captain for 70% of the games and it worked out well in the end!

Half the fun for me is finding the next Ronaldo / Lampard for this season :)

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Richardson (SU) for 5.5 is a great buy imo. Huddlestone for 5 might not be too bad either, especially since Spurs have not strengthened there.
    good picks PHB....I had Richardson in my team last year from the start as I thought he might get a chance but he didn't...he's always good for assists & the odd goal

Huddlestone has had a year in the PL so he's a better bet than the new boys coming in

Nice one

Advertisement