Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie fantasy football thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

the one week i take the captaincy off Ronaldo...... :mad:

That'll learn you :D *strokes his delicious delicious points*

71 points with bonus points to come for ronaldo and hopefully ferdinand, and 3 to play. My cup opponent has almost a mirror image of my squad, 8 shared players, I've a one point lead, Bentley has to to at least equal James in points tomorrow for me to progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Oh dear, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

80 Points less 4 for transfers and Bentley,James and Jones to play :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Just got access to soccer boards today. 92 points with 3 to play tomorrow...makes up for the rubbish of the last 2 weeks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Does anybody know what the single highest score from one player has been in one week, and what the highest ever team score has been in one game week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ah FFS. I'm on 94 points with Santa Cruz to play tomorrow and the guy I get in the Cup is on 92 with Santa Cruz, Distin and Benjani (thought he was at the African Nations Cup) all to play. My highestscore ever and I get knocked out of the Cup!!! :rolleyes::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

WHY DID I TAKE LESCOTT OUT!? :(:( I wanted to play 4-3-3 this week and this is what I get. 4-4-2 from now on! I actually hope Benjani/Santa Cruz/Distin are injured and I get autosub Lescott. Ronaldo as captain was good though :)

Just had a look at the overall leader and it's a GIRL!!! :eek: :D

She's on 89 points this week and still has 4 to play tomorrow! Fairplay.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just had a look at the overall leader and it's a GIRL!!! :eek: :D

She's on 89 points this week and still has 4 to play tomorrow! Fairplay.

And even better she is a Gooner ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭enner43

I changed to Fabregas but at the last minute I changed it back. Im glad I did now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

90 points for me so far with 2 players left. 3 points clear in the fantasy cup but he also has 2 to go. We both have Bentley so it's a straight shoot out between Santa Cruz for me and Distin for him.

Worst case scenario: Roque plays the 90, does f*ck all and gets two points while Distin plays the 90, keeps a clean sheet and gets 6 points resulting in me going out by a single point. Can't believe I'm rooting for Sunderland to score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

only 79 pts for me! I move down overall and 1 place to 6th in the boards league.

Santa Cruz, Benjani and James still to play...

Could have been worse, had I not decided to use my wildcard and get Ronaldo at the last minute!

Choosing my captain this week wasn't difficult :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

82 pts this week with James & SCruz to play.

Honestly thought my cup opponent would beat me as his team on paper looked stronger than mine this week, but at the last minute he took capt off Ronaldo and put it on Vidic so I have a 20pt lead on him going into today and I don't think he'll catch me.

Very high scoring week all round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Nery ain't gonna start for three reasons. 1. We're away, 2. He's not fully fit and 3. Elano's back.
    well he did

well he did

Indeed he did at the expense of Ireland and everyone was surprised. Elano was thrown out onto the right and was ineffective while Castillo was absolutely woeful and looked completely lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The stress of not having Ronaldo. Too damn expensive :mad:

Worst case scenario: Roque plays the 90, does f*ck all and gets two points while Distin plays the 90, keeps a clean sheet and gets 6 points resulting in me going out by a single point. Can't believe I'm rooting for Sunderland to score.

No clean sheet for Sylvain :D

Unearthly wrote: »
    The stress of not having Ronaldo. Too damn expensive :mad:

You can't compete without Ronaldo on your team, the top 20 teams all have him, i couldn't be bothered checking beyond that but the vast majority of the top teams have him. Find a way to afford him, play your wild card if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

After thinking lots about my failures this season :) I think the key to this is the following, and what I intend to put into practice next season
    Solid keeper.
    Rock solid defence. 5 top players. They need to be getting at least 3 clean sheets a week.
    Three very good buys, players very undervalued who can do well, like Ashton, Doyle, Petrov, even Richardson.
    Three very good expensive players, the Ronaldos, Rooneys, Lampards, Drogbas, Fabregas' of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Indeed he did at the expense of Ireland and everyone was surprised. Elano was thrown out onto the right and was ineffective while Castillo was absolutely woeful and looked completely lost.

Harsh on Castillo. We spent the first 40 minutes yesterday hoofing the ball forward. As Sven said himself if we wanted to play like that he'd have to sell half the team and replce them with players used to that style, which we aint gonna do. For what ever reason we didn't get out of the blocks till the second half, at which stage Castillo was subbed off. Give him time to settle, he will be an assest. The two Hammers games at home over the next seven days will be our chance to see him make an impact. Bianchi should have started yesterday, at least he can hold the ball up.

Did anyone buy Robert yet!
    Does anybody know what the single highest score from one player has been in one week, and what the highest ever team score has been in one game week?

I think I remeber Steve Watson scoring a hat trick for Everton a few years back. They beat someone 4-0 and despite playing right mid he was classed as a defender. He may have assisted the 4th goal also but he got 27 points that game week. Scoring may have been slightly different but that would be the biggest score I can recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I'm going out of the Fantasy Cup this week it seems :(. My opponent has 110 points. My only hope is a five goal spree from Santa Cruz this afternoon! :D

Juan Pablo wrote: »
    Harsh on Castillo. We spent the first 40 minutes yesterday hoofing the ball forward. As Sven said himself if we wanted to play like that he'd have to sell half the team and replce them with players used to that style, which we aint gonna do. For what ever reason we didn't get out of the blocks till the second half, at which stage Castillo was subbed off. Give him time to settle, he will be an assest. The two Hammers games at home over the next seven days will be our chance to see him make an impact. Bianchi should have started yesterday, at least he can hold the ball up. .

Oh don't get me wrong he is a great player and of course it takes time. He did look lost yesterday though whether it was his fault or not. I wouldn't go sticking him in a fantasy team for a while yet.
    Juan Pablo wrote: »
    Did anyone buy Robert yet! .

I did. Sold Dempsey for him as I needed the money for Vidic. Subbed off after 58 mins and did sweet fa yesterday. Only one point at home to Wigan. Good thing I only had him on my bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

He did have Derbys' only shot on target yesterday!

What team is Robert playing for?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Jayz alot points gone astray with Portsmouth:mad:, bloody Blackburn one nil down aswell!!:mad:

• Advertisement

I'm off loading Gerrard and one of my strikers (either Bent-Wigan or Forrsell) and need a midfielder recommendation for about 7m as I'm bringing in Tevez.

Any suggestions? Was thinking of Nolan or Hunt. Which one of the strikers should I keep? I'm thinking of losing Bent as he's worth more and Forrsell is a handy sub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I'm off loading Gerrard and one of my strikers (either Bent-Wigan or Forrsell) and need a midfielder recommendation for about 7m as I'm bringing in Tevez.

Garth Barry-very consistent and gets a fair few penalties and assists.
    Martin Petrov though he hasn't been great this month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

sionnach wrote: »
    You can't compete without Ronaldo on your team, the top 20 teams all have him, i couldn't be bothered checking beyond that but the vast majority of the top teams have him. Find a way to afford him, play your wild card if needs be.

You are correct

I'm going to have to take a big hit of points though as I already used my wild card too early. Ah well in his form I should have a profit of points on him the next game :D

Unearthly wrote: »
    You are correct

I'm going to have to take a big hit of points though as I already used my wild card too early. Ah well in his form I should have a profit of points on him the next game :D

A goal a game and a bonus point machine, you'll earn the points back.

Good performance by bentley today means i squeeze through to the next round of the fantasy cup, should have 93 points after bonuses. Who else is still left in the cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Might be out of the cup, Im ahead 82-81 but bonus points for Friedel and Bentley would put me out.

• Advertisement

bohsman wrote: »
    Might be out of the cup, Im ahead 82-81 but bonus points for Friedel and Bentley would put me out.

You're safe, neither got bonus points, i was hoping bentley would pick up a few for me, he was robbed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Anelka didnt start, gamble of him scoring in his debut and making him captain backfired big time :mad:

Looks like the boards league has been blown wide open. Improved Seantastic seemed to be home n hosed there for a good while but Ronaldo has blown the league wide open with a superb scoring run! 99% of punters who have him picked him as captain so some excellent scores about.

I'll be lucky to make midtable lol

Sizzler wrote: »
    Anelka didnt start, gamble of him scoring in his debut and making him captain backfired big time :mad:
    Can't understand why people take such gambles. It's very rare that players start straight away after a transfer let alone have a good scoring week.

Sizzler wrote: »
    Looks like the boards league has been blown wide open. Improved Seantastic seemed to be home n hosed there for a good while but Ronaldo has blown the league wide open with a superb scoring run! 99% of punters who have him picked him as captain so some excellent scores about.

I'll be lucky to make midtable lol
    Yeah, I'd say it was possibly one of the highest scoring game weeks ever. There's no way you can compete without Ronaldo in your team.

I scored 96 this week but still lost the cup match, other guy scored 97. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Need a bit of advice lads. My team:

Reina

Ball
    Jagielka
    Evra
    Alex

Petrov
    Ronaldo (captain)
    Cahill

Adeyabor
    Santa Cruz
    Tevez

I need to pick up some points quick smart as I'm 42 points behind a lad that I have a €50 bet with. I had planned to sub out Tevez and bring in a cheap striker and revert to a 4-4-2 (with Fabregas in for Stephen Ireland) but Tevez had a good show yesterday so now I'm not sure what to do. I've 2.7 million in the bank.

I'm planning to get rid of Reina and was hoping to bring in Van Der Saar but I have 3 United players already. I'm not sure what formation I should be playing too because playing 4 defenders seems to be good way to go.

My subs bench is mediocre. I've McShane, Gordon, Ireland and Smertin. At the moment my next plan is perhaps to sub out Reina for a cheap decent goalkeeper like Almunia/Hart and then ring in Bentley and revert to a 3-4-3 or 4-4-2 some weeks. I can't really see how I could work Fabregas in. I don't really want to get rid of any of my strikers/defenders and even by getting rid of Reina for Hart I'm a few hundred thousand short of Fabregas' value.

Don't really want to get rid of Petrov or Cahill for Fabregas either because they are both good players too. Was thinking though of getting rid of Santa Cruz for Anelka perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Can't understand why people take such gambles. It's very rare that players start straight away after a transfer let alone have a good scoring week.
    Lesson learned!!

BaZmO* wrote:
    Yeah, I'd say it was possibly one of the highest scoring game weeks ever. There's no way you can compete without Ronaldo in your team.

I scored 96 this week but still lost the cup match, other guy scored 97. :(

Hard luck chief! I didnt even qualify for it this year as the week they had for qualification I got 38pts....didnt even get a cup run :o

I had Ronaldo last season and he helped me finish with 2025 pts but Im just under 1200 pts bow and we're already well past the half way mark of the season so I might reach 2000 this year..if Im lucky but that will be a country mile behind the winner!

Lemlin wrote: »
    Need a bit of advice lads. My team:

Reina

Ball
    Jagielka
    Evra
    Alex

Petrov
    Ronaldo (captain)
    Cahill

Adeyabor
    Santa Cruz
    Tevez

I need to pick up some points quick smart as I'm 42 points behind a lad that I have a €50 bet with. I had planned to sub out Tevez and bring in a cheap striker and revert to a 4-4-2 (with Fabregas in for Stephen Ireland) but Tevez had a good show yesterday so now I'm not sure what to do. I've 2.7 million in the bank.

I'm planning to get rid of Reina and was hoping to bring in Van Der Saar but I have 3 United players already. I'm not sure what formation I should be playing too because playing 4 defenders seems to be good way to go.

My subs bench is mediocre. I've McShane, Gordon, Ireland and Smertin. At the moment my next plan is perhaps to sub out Reina for a cheap decent goalkeeper like Almunia/Hart and then ring in Bentley and revert to a 3-4-3 or 4-4-2 some weeks. I can't really see how I could work Fabregas in. I don't really want to get rid of any of my strikers/defenders and even by getting rid of Reina for Hart I'm a few hundred thousand short of Fabregas' value.

Don't really want to get rid of Petrov or Cahill for Fabregas either because they are both good players too. Was thinking though of getting rid of Santa Cruz for Anelka perhaps.

Your midfield and forward line look fine, it's your defence that needs improving, get Laursen in for starters, you should have bought him ages ago when he was ~5 but he's still a steal at 6.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Your midfield and forward line look fine, it's your defence that needs improving, get Laursen in for starters, you should have bought him ages ago when he was ~5 but he's still a steal at 6.2

But I have in defenders from four teams (Everton, Man City, Chelsea and United) who are regularly keeping clean sheets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Up to the dizzying heights of 18th with 95 points this week. So so glad I shaped my team around Ronaldo earlier in the season. My fantasy cup opponent didn't make it out of the 30's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Lemlin wrote: »
    But I have in defenders from four teams (Everton, Man City, Chelsea and United) who are regularly keeping clean sheets.

But your money's tied up in them when there are cheaper players on better points. Free up the money and you can bring in Fabregas without having to sell Cahill like you want to. First thing I would do is sell Reina though (for pretty much the same reason).

Your midfield and forwards look good; you need a more "cost effective" defence.

A great 97-93 in the cup for me.

• Advertisement

Lemlin, quick question. Would you still rather have Gamst Pedersen instead of Ronaldo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Santa Cruz just got given the assist for Roberts goal.

Gutted I changed the captaincy from Ronaldo to Fabregas. Grrrr

Still managed to get 81 points though. Would have broken the 100 mark if I had left it with Ronaldo

KevIRL wrote: »
    Woohoo! 99 points! Would've got over the 100 if I'd left Bent (Wigan) in instead of buying Butt for Pienaar (African Cup). Thought Butt would've gotten something off his old club....just like Smith :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Sweet, I was watching MOTD and wondering why he hadn't gotten it. 98 points, and I think that'll put me up one more place in the league.

Ha love it. 100 points for me for the week so.

Up to 36th in the boards league, my highest position yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Im selling Gerrard to free up money and buy better defenders.
    From what i see the top 5 defenders to have and the ones likely to score aswell are:

Laursen Beletti Ferdinand Lescott Samba ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe Melberg too

If you get 3 out of that 5 for the rest of the season it should yield good points.
    What ye reckon?

Nuttzy wrote: »
    Im selling Gerrard to free up money and buy better defenders.
    From what i see the top 5 defenders to have and the ones likely to score aswell are:

Laursen Beletti Ferdinand Lescott Samba ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe Melberg too

If you get 3 out of that 5 for the rest of the season it should yield good points.
    What ye reckon?

Thats Gerrard to score a couple next match and then some bonus points :)

Seriously though I like to have a strong midfield, and play 3 at the back.

Looks like it just got taken away again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Thats Gerrard to score a couple next match and then some bonus points :)

Seriously though I like to have a strong midfield, and play 3 at the back.

Ive a class Midfield and strikers,
    Ronaldo / Fabergas / Gerrard / Cahill and Haman as sub but Gerrard and Liverpool are doing crap so he`s out and Beletti and Ferdinand are in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Sweet, I was watching MOTD and wondering why he hadn't gotten it. 98 points, and I think that'll put me up one more place in the league.
    Ha love it. 100 points for me for the week so.

Up to 36th in the boards league, my highest position yet.

You'll just have to wait to become a fellow centurion;)
    Looks like it just got taken away again :(

Tough titties lads:D
    ...a mate of mine was knocked out of the cup by 1pt, but the withdrawal of Santa Cruz assist(who his opponent had) puts him through by 2 pts. JAMMY BASTARD!! Imagine how the other guy feels:eek:

101pts for me this week.

Advertisement