Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie fantasy football thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yes dammit.

:rolleyes:

Ah well, I'll stick someone else in, feck the 4 points tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I got Bianchi in for Agbonlahor for my free transfer :) Here's hoping he smacks in a hattrick as I have only 9ppl playing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

seansouth wrote:
    Are the midweek games, AND next weekend's games part of Gameweek2, or just the Midweek ones?

Can someone explain this whole concept to me actually, cheers.

Does a 'Gameweek' start on a Monday?

If there's Monday Night Football, does that count as the previous weekend, or the next one.

Thanks lads.
    You need to look at the dates of the matches for every gameweek.

GW2 starts on 14 Aug and finishes on the 15th Aug. There are only 7 matches played in this Gameweek as teams are playing in Europe. SO you will be allowed a free transfer for these 7 games.

GW3 starts on 18 Aug and finishes on 19 Aug.

A gameweek can be at any time of the week and can be for as short as 1 day or take as long as 10-11 days from what I remember from last year. The main thing is you have to look at the dates.

WHat you will find somewhere along the line, is that a certain gameweek will have 13 games in it and span maybe 5-6 days to make up for the 3 games that aren't being played in GW2.

So in this gameweek, you could have some of your players playing 2 games and hence the possibility of a good points tally.

The trick is to make sure you can field a full 11 players every Gameweek in order to avail of maximum points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I swapped out Rooney for Tevez, and with the extra money left over will put in Fabregas which was similar to my initial team anyway. Darn injuries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Im stuck without a starting11 for GW2 as Lita is injured and I have 2 Villa players, points in week1 dont matter to me, should I transfer someone out just for the week? I start playing for money from week2. Money per gameweek and then money for the overall.

Lineup is currently

Hahnemann

Mcshane
    Dunne
    Shorey

Ronaldo (c)
    Fabregas
    Scholes
    Gerrard
    Barry

Forsell
    Martins

Niemi, Mellberg, Lita and Pearce on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

does anyone have a list of the games on midweek to throw up here? please :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Tottenham V Everton - 14 Aug 20:00
    Birmingham V Sunderland - 15 Aug 19:45
    Fulham V Bolton - 15 Aug 19:45
    Man. City V Derby - 15 Aug 19:45
    Portsmouth V Man. United - 15 Aug 19:45
    Reading V Chelsea - 15 Aug 20:00
    Wigan V Middlesbrough - 15 Aug 20:00

Tottenham V Everton 14 Aug 20:00
    Birmingham V Sunderland 15 Aug 19:45
    Fulham V Bolton 15 Aug 19:45
    Man. City V Derby 15 Aug 19:45
    Portsmouth V Man. United 15 Aug 19:45
    Reading V Chelsea 15 Aug 20:00
    Wigan V Middlesbrough 15 Aug 20:00

Realised the extent of how many missing players I had, more wholesale changes, brought in Ferdinand, SWP, Petrov and Bianchi - Id expect a good home win for Man City so they should make it worthwile, have made 9 transfers, some stupid ones not realising only 14 teams played GW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

i swapped out niemi,gamst pederson,barry and cole and brought in gordon,swp,essien and forsell and changed it to a 442 taking out martins and cesc from the starting line up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Just the one transfer for me. I won't be throwing away silly 4 pointers, did that a lot last year and generally didn't work out too well...

It's funny how people ring wholesale changes after only one week...

• Advertisement

Trippie wrote:
    i swapped out niemi,gamst pederson,barry and cole and brought in gordon,swp,essien and forsell and changed it to a 442 taking out martins and cesc from the starting line up
    :eek:

How many points did that cost you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Trippie wrote:

Isn't essien injured now, and SWP wont play every week. I would expect Joe Cole to start taking that right wing role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Trippie wrote:

Did you use your wild card or did you give up points to transfer them?

SofaKing wrote:
    :eek:

How many points did that cost you?

Those changes would cost the poster 12 points! (assuming he didn't use a wildcard)

Bohsman, did you really make 9 tranfers? That would cost you 32 points!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

i changed essien for man city's petrov and gordon and forsell will be permanent swaps for the rest of the season. only swp is being drafted in for the week and barry will probably be brought back in on next weeks free transfer

I think GW2 caught out a lot of people....

True. Also looks like the guy who is first overall in the world (88 points) is fecked for gamweek 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I wouldn't start making wholesale changes like alot of people are here. I prefer to stick to one transfer a week.

There's no point subbing in three or four players when some of them might get injured or even be rested (all teams have three games this week).

Its also hard to pick just what players are doing well until a few weeks in. Some may even take a few weeks to get going, while others will undoubtedly start well and drop off (e.g Martins I think).

Bohsman, did you really make 9 tranfers? That would cost you 32 points!

Yes, stupid stuff, brought Gerrard and Barry in, then realised they werent playing so took them out again, others made more sense. A playing Forsell for a benchwarming Andy Cole, McShane for a defender that doesnt get his game and Martins in for Rooney.

Ive got a few sidebets going starting from week2 so may aswell fix things up now, sort of banking on Man City hammering Derby so I can bring Gerrard back in without losing too many points.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote:

Its also hard to pick just what players are doing well until a few weeks in. Some may even take a few weeks to get going, while others will undoubtedly start well and drop off (e.g Martins I think).

Ive been impressed by Newcastles signings and Martins will do really well against the weaker teams, think it was an easy enough switch for Rooney for most people as hes on form and it freed up 3m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Maybe I'm missing something...but I saw earlier on skysports.com that Liverpool are playing on the 15th (also saw some others, I think Blackburn) but they aren't listed on the fantasy football site. Was that a mistake then on skysports part or are they deliberately being left out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Maybe I'm missing something...but I saw earlier on skysports.com that Liverpool are playing on the 15th (also saw some others, I think Blackburn) but they aren't listed on the fantasy football site. Was that a mistake then on skysports part or are they deliberately being left out?
    Did you have a look at who they are playing? ;)

BaZmO* wrote:
    Did you have a look at who they are playing? ;)
    Ye it had them listed as playing in the premier league and not the champions league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ye it had them listed as playing in the premier league and not the champions league
    Really? I checked and I didn't see them listed as playing in the PL.
    http://www.skysports.com/calendar/football/0,19944,11065_100_1_2007-08-13_2007-08-21_,00.html

If ever in doubt I always check one of the betting sites like Paddy Power to check who's playing who where and when and those guys seldom get it worng. Oh and they also show watch channel it's on so it's quite handy.
    http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_soccer_level1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Pool were originally pencilled in to play west ham on wednesday 15th, but this was changed within a few days due to the champions league qualifier against Toulouse on the same day.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Pool were originally pencilled in to play west ham on wednesday 15th, but this was changed within a few days due to the champions league qualifier against Toulouse on the same day.
    That's the one! Was still like that up til this afternoon. Someone needs to get the finger out at skysports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

right, still getting my head around this fantasy league stuff.

any who my problem is such: i didn't really pay attention to what i was doing when i selected my inital team and now i discover that at least 7 of my starting 11 and i think 2 of my subs aren't playing during the week. can anything be done (bar that one free transfer?) or should i just crawl into a hole and die now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

You can tranfer as many players as you want.. after the free transfer it will cost you 4 points per player you transfer..

Or you could just ride out GW2 and leave everything as it is for GW3... if you got that many players to transfer - then I'd advise sitting it out... but then again you could transfer in a few players that'll be active for the next couple of game weeks.. and take a minor hit points wise..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

bohsman wrote:
    have made 9 transfers, some stupid ones not realising only 14 teams played GW2.
    LOL, good stuff Oscar :)

And still have more points than Reggie.

• Advertisement

bohsman wrote:
    And still have more points than Reggie.
    Yeah but that's still not saying much, over a million players and he must be last or thereabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

right, still getting my head around this fantasy league stuff.

any who my problem is such: i didn't really pay attention to what i was doing when i selected my inital team and now i discover that at least 7 of my starting 11 and i think 2 of my subs aren't playing during the week. can anything be done (bar that one free transfer?) or should i just crawl into a hole and die now?
    You also have a once off wild card you can use which lets you make as many transfers as you like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Anyone know why Jakielka didnt feature on Sat and if he will tonight?

Trilla wrote:
    Anyone know why Jakielka didnt feature on Sat and if he will tonight?
    ya, I'd like to know that also...I was suprised he didn't play at the weekend, but I'll give him another week and if I don't see him making the starting 11, he's sold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭cole9

Do you think that there is any chance that Jol will drop Berbatov tonight? From what I hear Bent is almost certain to start

Pretty likely I guess. 3 games in 7 days - no point in having 4 top strikers if your not going to use them in these sort of situations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

besty wrote:
    You also have a once off wild card you can use which lets you make as many transfers as you like

is it worth using the wildcard so soon?

No..................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

bohsman wrote:
    Ive been impressed by Newcastles signings and Martins will do really well against the weaker teams, think it was an easy enough switch for Rooney for most people as hes on form and it freed up 3m.

Will he always get a game though? Newcastle also have Viduka and Owen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

have 3 injuries all ready, rooney, davies and lua lua. :mad:

Have changed two of them, with keane and derbyshire.

loss of 4 points all ready.
    I f i changed 3 i'd be minus 8 points! :(

EDIT : just saw lua lua transferred to olmpiakos (sp)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i've played the wildcard to make sure i get 11 men scoring this gameweek.

hopefully i'll get a nice advantage over people..

better to get the points on the board early on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Chokers new signing Leon osman gets his 2nd goal in 2 games. Inspired signing by Pighead. He's unearthed another gem. Top 20 here I come.

smemon wrote:
    i've played the wildcard to make sure i get 11 men scoring this gameweek.

hopefully i'll get a nice advantage over people..

better to get the points on the board early on..
    I disagree :)

I think, without using the wild card, its much easier to catch up early and stay pace with the leaders as opposed to later on.

Much better to use that wild card at xmas when you have teams playing 2/3 games per gameweek - thats when the wheat seperates from the chaff ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

arteta got three assists tonight. damn i wish i had him. And it's hardly half time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

arteta got three assists tonight. damn i wish i had him. And it's hardly half time
    2 assists. Disappointed he didn't get a couple of bonus, he had a good all-round game.

He got a 3 points bonus :) They don't kick in for a little while till after the game sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Lescott and Arteta in my team. :)
    Arteta will defo get the bonus and maybe Lescott if I'm lucky.

Edit: Arteta had an assist taken off him but he got the 3 point bonus. Yobo and Carsley got the other bonuses.
    19 points from 1 games, not too shabby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Just Arteta by the looks of things.. :)

Jammy buggers in my work's league had either or both.. they must have been a popular option for the "auto-complete" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think Lescott was the highest scoring defender last season so loads have him for that reason. Arteta was probably top 3-5 midfielders.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote:
    Will he always get a game though? Newcastle also have Viduka and Owen.
    Only the African Nations Cup will keep the spring that is Martins out.

Advertisement