Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I go to upload 30GB to a server?

Options
  • 30-06-2007 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I need to upload about 30GB of files to an FTP account. My home connection is only a 1MB connection, so it is out of the question to try to do it from here. I have never used an internet cafe, is it is possible to bring in an external drive and upload that amount of data using their faster connection? If so, can you recommend a cafe with a fast enough upload speed to do that sort of volume?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You should probably mention where abouts you live so people can recommend a cafe thats close,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

DOH! Sorry, I live in Dublin 15. Anywhere in Dublin is good for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Cabaal wrote:
    You should probably mention where abouts you live so people can recommend a cafe thats close,

Everybody lives in Dublin don't you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A university or college might be more help (talk to IT people or computer society). Few cafes would even be as good as 1Mbps per person.

Or visit a Datacentre. (Phone first). There are some in Dublin that might do it for you.

But what speed is the ftp site? There will be a limit to how fast it can accept the data.

Or stick the data on 10 DVDs and post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

watty wrote:
    A university or college might be more help
    30 GB's !!! That would even raise the eyebrows in a university comp services dept. Wouldn't 30 GB cause alarms re possible DoS attacks.
    Direct (physical) access to the server not possible? Watty's DVD's advice sounds good to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Im currently using a 6mb/6mb up/down 1:1 leased line thats not used during the weekend, PM me and we can come to some arragement.

Advertisement