Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

spacial awareness,

Options
  • 30-06-2007 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, i'm relatively new to driving and i have a big problem knowing how close i am to obstacles, it seems every time i go out i have my dad jumping for the wheel because i've gotten to close on the passenger side to cars/paths...etc. Now i've never heard of anyone else having this problem and i was just wondering if anyone has any advice to overcome this.
    Thanks a lot guys,
    Alan,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Okay, i'm relatively new to driving and i have a big problem knowing how close i am to obstacles, it seems every time i go out i have my dad jumping for the wheel because i've gotten to close on the passenger side to cars/paths...etc. Now i've never heard of anyone else having this problem and i was just wondering if anyone has any advice to overcome this.
    Thanks a lot guys,
    Alan,
    I think knowing how wide you car is and how close you are to other is just something that comes with practice.

Are you actually getting too close or is your dad panicing a bit? People not used to being a passenger can get a bit antsy when they are in the passenger seat.

MrP

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have found that, especially with car mirrors. I'm convinced I'm about to knock them off a couple of parked cars but it turns out I'm over a foot away from them. MrP is right, it'll just come with practice but your dad constantly grabbing the wheel is not going to give you confidence!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Thanks a lot guys,
    Alan,

Part of that is probably down to you driving his car. Relatives, however good they are at driving are not always the best people to teach you. Spatial perception can take time and experienced drivers like your Dad can overreact a little.
    They can also affect your ability to drive in a "relaxed manner". A few lessons in a dual-control car from a driving school will help you get a better feel for that and calm his nerves. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

i know i said my dad jumps for the wheel, that's slightly over exaggerating things. thanks for the advice though, i went for lessons months ago, but i had to wait for the leaving cert to end to get back into a car. So i think i'm going to go back for a refresher course with my instructor to gain some confidence. Thanks a lot for all your help, much appreciated.;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

is_that_so wrote:
    A few lessons in a dual-control car from a driving school will help you get a better feel for that and calm his nerves. :)
    Totally true. I have a new instructor who is very laid back. (so I'm thinking "huh, must be doing okay..")
    Last week we were driving down a narrow road with lots of parked cars on it. When I nervously suggested my worries about clipping wing mirrors, especially on expensive cars he just said 'Yeah, you could build a collection- like mum look, today I got one off a Bentley!' I weaved through the cars no bother. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I think this can be an issue if people sit too close or too far from the steering wheel/windscreen. A good instructor will be able to advise you on the correct seating position

Also, as you pass a parked car, give a quick glance in your passenger side mirror, this will tell you how much you've missed (hopefully :) ) the parked car by. Your brain takes in this information and uses it for next time you have to pass a parked car.

Another tip for learning the width of the car is drive along a road with a hard shoulder and catseyes marking the edge of the hard shoulder. Drive as close to the shoulder as possible until you start hearing you wheels going over the catseyes. This wil give you a feel for the track width of the car, remember to add at least another foot each side for bodywork and mirrors though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

BrianD3 wrote:
    I think this can be an issue if people sit too close or too far from the steering wheel/windscreen. A good instructor will be able to advise you on the correct seating position

Also, as you pass a parked car, give a quick glance in your passenger side mirror, this will tell you how much you've missed (hopefully :) ) the parked car by. Your brain takes in this information and uses it for next time you have to pass a parked car.

Another tip for learning the width of the car is drive along a road with a hard shoulder and catseyes marking the edge of the hard shoulder. Drive as close to the shoulder as possible until you start hearing you wheels going over the catseyes. This wil give you a feel for the track width of the car, remember to add at least another foot each side for bodywork and mirrors though:D

Actually, i went out for a drive after putting this thread up and i only copped i could use my mirrors to see just how far, or close i was. It really really helps, and the idea with the cats eyes is really good, thanks a lot. I dont think my seating position is really a problem, i'm 6' 2" so i'm reasonably tall so i sit a bit back but it's by no means too far back.
    Thanks Guys, Confidence is once again building, i was talking to my instructor who more or less said that it's experience i need, and those "freak out moments" is what teaches you. which is true, i suppose. I'll be heading out for a lesson none the less just to clarify things:rolleyes:

Advertisement