Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Limited Connectivity

• 30-06-2007 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a Dell Dimension 9200 running Vista and have bought a vodafone 3G USB modem. set up the software and the modem connects fine. The problem is it has limited connectivity so i cant go on the internet at all. i have tried update the firmware and software on the modem but after this still have the same problems. any way around this in vista??? all help greatly appreciated

thanks

kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I don't have any experience with these units but from reviews your supposed to run the software package it installs mobile connect lite I think it's called and select the type of network 3G, HSPDA etc & after that it connects.

Do you have to set a manual IP or does this modem get an IP from a DHCP server ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

I have installed the software and that does connect to the network. it is set to assign its own ip and has a set dns. i didnt change these settings. it seems to be a vista problem as it connects ok. just has an icon in the task bar which says limited connectivity and will not allow me view any web pages

And you set the IP for TCP/IPv4 and not TCP/IPv6 ?

I didnt set either, was all set automatically but is set to TCP4 rather than 6.

Well I'm stumped :confused:

You could try unticking the box for TCP/IP v6 in the connections properties not that should make any difference but you never know I guess.

With a fixed IP it should not be saying limited connectivity unless there was an IP conflict of some sort or the device could not access the wireless network at least thats my understanding.

Tried the basics like reboot the laptop ?
    Try adding the mobile connect software to the firewall exception list.

What about the modem itself do the light match up to any of these from Vodafones site;
    The 3G broadband USB Modem has a light that shows which bearer is connected:

a double flashing green light means the USB Modem is searching for a network
    a single flashing green light means a network is found but you are not yet connected
    a single flashing blue light means the 3G network is found but that you are not yet connected

When it is connected:
    a solid turquoise light will come on when using 3G broadband
    a solid blue light will come on when using 3G
    a solid green light will come on when using GPRS.

If still wont work might be worth contacting Vodafone tech support.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

stupid question - does it have vista drivers ??

http://www.vodafone.ie/business/emailsolutions/pc/3gbroadband/sysreq/index.jsp;jsessionid=1044A043964C7EC7EE576C7F048A46AD
    3G Broadband Modem
    /System Requirements

System Requirements

To use the software the accompanies the 3G broadband modem , you need the following :

* A computer running Microsoft® Windows® 2000, XP® or a computer running Mac OS® X 10.3.5 or above*.
    * A CD drive
    * At least 100 MB free disk space and 128 MB RAM
    * A USB or USB 2.0 socket

*Vodafone does not currently support Microsoft Vista.

AFAIK the pcmcia data card doesn't have vista drivers

also the vodafone SIM 64K product in italy doesn't have vista drivers either

TCP/IP v6 is already unticked. Problem happens with firewall on or off. have tried reboot also. the lights on the modem do match up. flashes and then stays solid green when connected. vodafone will not support it with vista until august. was told this when i bought it. have heard of lots of people online getting them to work with vista though. have updated firmware and software. seems to be down to vista now.

This is with the 3g modem and dial up connected

Windows IP Configuration

PPP adapter VMCLite:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 89.19.91.179
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

PPP adapter Dial-up Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 159.134.48.129
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0