Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ProLife/Youth Defence on Shop Street

Options
  • 30-06-2007 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

This lot were at it again today outside Flanagans (I feel sorry for the staff in the shops around there), shouting "Stop the Police State" when the Gardai (nicely) asked them to remove some of their more explicit posters (surely it should be "Stop the Garda Republic"???). They had their video guy shoving a camera in the Gardas faces. Saw one of them pose a guy with his 3 kids in front of a Garda who was explaining the situation to a woman who appeared to be one of their "leaders", taking pictures which would have made the Garda look like he was being rude to a family where in actual fact the Garda was being really patient with and nice to the woman and didn't even see the man and kids; the camera angle did all the work.

Personally, I think that once these people show an image which, if on TV, could only be shown after watershed, they should be liable to be arrested for public indecency.

Unfortunately, the pictures I got only reflect the tamest of their tactics and posters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

man there's a time and place for that sort of rubbish and its not on ****ing shop street on a saturday afternoon :|

rage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

I'm guessing that pro-life/youth defense are an anti abortion crowd?

I had a grand old time in Dublin arguing with an antiabortion girl who had a moustache.

If they try to use the bible then use the following(cheers to elroy.net)

"And if men struggle and strike a woman with child so that she has a miscarriage, yet there is no further injury, he shall be fined as the woman's husband may demand of him, and he shall pay as the judges decide. But if there is any further injury, then you shall appoint as a penalty life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise."

Exodus 21:22-25

The only thing that the Bible seems against that Fundies claim seems to be Homosexuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭louisecm

I've often thought that if a lot of the anti-abortion campaigners you see out and about actually cared about children, they wouldn't frighten them with gruesome images in busy areas in broad daylight.

These people are idiots - and its not just that I personally am pro-choice (I am perfectly willing to let people have their own ideas and opinions), its more that their tactics are harmful and irresponsible. I'd nearly get a gang together and protest their existence the next time they're around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

that 1 in the white in pic 2 and 4 is HOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Everyone is entitled to their views, but how you express them is a different matter - displaying these photos to children is, as Louise pointed out, immoral and harmful.
    My personal views are rather different (a lot different! :D ) from Youth Defence, and I respect their point of view, but how they go about expressing it is way out of order.
    Shop St on a Saturday afternoon with hundreds of families about - FFS!

If you're getting a gang together Louise, I'd love an intelligent reasoned debate with this crowd :D (just how intelligent or reasoned their response would be is pretty questionable :rolleyes: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I Eat Babies

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Come back Hari Chrishnas, all is forgiven :)

Just set Nora on them, that'll sort em!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

And there was loads of star wars people around them too, was kind of funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Bah... they're not selling the "Abortions Tickle" t-shirt on tshirthell.com anymore :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Abortions kick ass.

Yes! What a perfect way for me to make Galway friends too! I will get the brain wheels in motion. Although I saw on the cover of Galway First this morning (amn't I becoming quite the local...) that the gardai successfully got them to take down some of their more offensive posters. A small victory for our new-founded clan!

Jeez, I've heard of joining a club or gym to make friends, but forming a pro-choice vigilante group??!! :p:D

Saw the article alright - the guards made them take the posters down as they were likely to cause a breach of the peace - too feckin right! If I was walking my (imaginary!) 5 year old down the street and saw those posters I'd be pretty f***in' angry......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

P.E.T.A. for humanoids :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

padi89 wrote:
    P.E.T.A. for humanoids :rolleyes:
    People for Eating Tasty Abortions? Too far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Robbo wrote:

Nah, sounds about right to me ;)

Robbo wrote:

Definitely too far! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Robbo wrote:
    Know anywhere that prints t-shirts?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I find it ironic that these are the same people who would campaign for internet censorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

It's their methods that I really object to and how they lure children over by handing out balloons and then the children cannot but see the graphic pictures.

Last year my then 10 and 8 year olds were very bothered by the images that they saw in Waterford city. Fortunately I managed to get them away before they saw too many of them but 1 is 1 too many

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote:

Em...perhaps. Galway guy, there are stranger ways to make friends I'm sure - like maybe arranging for our imaginary 5 year-olds to play together...he he

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

deisemum wrote:
    It's their methods that I really object to and how they lure children over by handing out balloons and then the children cannot but see the graphic pictures.

Last year my then 10 and 8 year olds were very bothered by the images that they saw in Waterford city. Fortunately I managed to get them away before they saw too many of them but 1 is 1 too many

I suspect they mostly have pictures of miscarriages or late term abortions due to medical grounds.

The truth is if you put up picture of most aborted "babies" you'd need serious magnification and all you'd see is a clump of cells, like a tumor.

by the way I'd love to join your club, but I'm lazy and don't take these lunatics seriously enough to worry about them.

I don't take the lunatics seriously either, but I do take the fact that they are exposing children to horrific images and inaccurate (as you so astutely pointed out Your Holiness,) depictions of what abortion is long before they should have any idea of the concept even.

Also, I like having something to get riled up about occasionally. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭GospelGroupie

I dunno. I stopped and read their stuff. I did a google afterwards. It certainly roused my interest.

This abortion stuff is pretty shocking! In Dublin you have the animal rights people showing photos of mangled and gorged hares, etc., at College Green. If animal-rights people get away with showing dead animals, what's wrong with baby-rights people showing photos of dead babies?

My guess is that because abortion isn't being dealt with as an issue on television after the watershed, these people have no choice but to bring the issue out onto the streets. They are pretty passionate people about this, it appears, and if you believe that abortion is murder, it's only understandable, I guess, to be out campaigning against it. It's a fairly reasonable reaction to babies being killed.

Obviously not a popular opinion here, but ya got to respect it, even if you don't like it.

Fey! wrote:
    Unfortunately, the pictures I got only reflect the tamest of their tactics and posters.

Why did you only take nice photos of the campaigners? Why didn't you take photos of them being aggressive? Were they? Or is handing out leaflets as aggressive as they got? They seemed pretty calm when I saw them.

I suspect they mostly have pictures of miscarriages or late term abortions due to medical grounds.

The truth is if you put up picture of most aborted "babies" you'd need serious magnification and all you'd see is a clump of cells, like a tumor.

I don't know.... late-term abortions are pretty gruesome, and hardly for medical grounds (otherwise they'd be induced alive or by C-section if they were big enough to live). As far as I'm aware, for surgical abortions, the minimum age of the baby tends to be 8 weeks, and the max can be 30 weeks, in the UK anyway. A baby would be pretty big at 30 weeks. Even at 8 weeks, I read courtesy of Google, you've got your eyes, ears, nose, mouth, fingers & toes (and everything else, it seems). That's a bit more than being just "like a tumor" IMHO.

It's not my field of expertise, though, so I won't be engaging in any debate here. I just don't think they were without justification for being there.

Its not their presence we have a problem with, its their methods.

I dunno. I stopped and read their stuff. I did a google afterwards. It certainly roused my interest.

This abortion stuff is pretty shocking! In Dublin you have the animal rights people showing photos of mangled and gorged hares, etc., at College Green. If animal-rights people get away with showing dead animals, what's wrong with baby-rights people showing photos of dead babies?

My guess is that because abortion isn't being dealt with as an issue on television after the watershed, these people have no choice but to bring the issue out onto the streets. They are pretty passionate people about this, it appears, and if you believe that abortion is murder, it's only understandable, I guess, to be out campaigning against it. It's a fairly reasonable reaction to babies being killed.

Obviously not a popular opinion here, but ya got to respect it, even if you don't like it.

Why do they have to protest about it? Abortion is illegal in Ireland. No abortions are carried out here. Why don't they take their protest to the UK where abortions are carried out, and don't be bothering kids here with gruesome images that are irrelevant. Their methods are despicable and irresponsible - exposing kids to those images merely shows them for the kind of people they are - idiots.
    Why can't they just have a placard saying "No to Abortion"???
    The only people these shock tactics work on are kids, who are upset and confused by them. As for most adults I know, the tactics employed by this crowd just make them more pro-choice...

louisecm wrote:
    Em...perhaps. Galway guy, there are stranger ways to make friends I'm sure - like maybe arranging for our imaginary 5 year-olds to play together...he he

LOL, an imaginary play date! Now that would be strange... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Why do they have to protest about it? Abortion is illegal in Ireland.
    Its to stop young women going to the UK for abortions. In marketing terms it would be called "branding", you won't make any direct sales, but you'll keep the idea in people's minds. Not giving an opinion on right or wrong, just saying thats why.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement