Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possiblt to get these particular dogs in Ireland?

Options
  • 30-06-2007 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Alaskan Malamute, Saint Bernard and Siberian Husky?

Animal shelter or breeders, I just like all 3.

I live in louth if it matters.

Comments

Ive seen some huskies around cork city so you should be able to get them, but Im not sure where exactly. Sorry:o

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

Have you tried contacting the IKC? I know a few people who have siberian huskies - my neighbour in Waterford for 1. Gorgeous dog. Best bet though would be the kennel club - maybe even research when dog shows are on and go to see if these dogs are there and approach the breeders for information. Just a thought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

i think that annika or something along those lines who posts regularly on this animal section breeds and trains husky's

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dsignr25

There is a kennel in Kilkenny called Leorient Kennels that breeds Siberian Huskies. I think the womans name is Josie Foley. They have a website just google "Leorient". There's quite a few breeders around for Sibes I got my two from Cavan and from Cork. There is also a couple in Abbeyleix in Limerick that we went to see while searching for our 2nd pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭kifi

my bro bought a alaskan malamute from a guy in tallaght about 2 months ago. look up buyandsell. Malamute is one large dog (bigger than the husky, but maybe not as bulky as the st bernard of course). They have a great temperment, but love to howl a lot, not good for the neighbours!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

racso1975 wrote:
    i think that annika or something along those lines who posts regularly on this animal section breeds and trains husky's

I have a siberian husky and I do train dogs but I don't breed them. But you will be able to find all 3 breeds in Ireland no problem. Unfortunately I do not know of any good reputable breeders in Ireland that breeds siberian huskys. I would not recommend to get a husky just as a family pet, they are not suited for that they need ALOT of exercice and are bred to work. So unless you are planning to use a husky for sledding I would recommend that you go for another breed. They are know to get destructive if they get bored. An hour walk a day just doesn't do it for them. I would say the same goes for malamutes as they are also bred to work, ie sledding.
    Good Luck!
    Annika

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

Annika30 wrote:
    I have a siberian husky and I do train dogs but I don't breed them. But you will be able to find all 3 breeds in Ireland no problem. Unfortunately I do not know of any good reputable breeders in Ireland that breeds siberian huskys. I would not recommend to get a husky just as a family pet, they are not suited for that they need ALOT of exercice and are bred to work. So unless you are planning to use a husky for sledding I would recommend that you go for another breed. They are know to get destructive if they get bored. An hour walk a day just doesn't do it for them. I would say the same goes for malamutes as they are also bred to work, ie sledding.
    Good Luck!
    Annika

Thats very good advise, make sure you do proper research before even considering getting any of the breeds you mentioned.

Try talking to people like http://www.cloverkennels.com who offer advise on huskies.

For malamutes there are propable only two breeders who really know about the breed and their on the border counties.

Like pervious people said they howl, destroy furniture when board, etc. so make sure you do your homework first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

You can check http://www.irishdogs.ie/Find%20a%20Dog.htm . Plenty of pups for sale here. But like the others have said, do your homework first.

Advertisement