Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Comercial VRT quesion.

Options
  • 30-06-2007 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

I have just brought a Nissan King cab in the UK and am in the process of importing it. I took it down to the VRO office in Wicklow and the guy said that unless the 2 small windows behind the cab are replaced with metal panels, he can not classify it as a commercial vehicle.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissan-Navara-2-5TD-Kingcab_W0QQitemZ250121836753QQihZ015QQcategoryZ18238QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is blatantly a commercial vehicle, and I think the guy may just being a bit of a jobs worth to the book kinda guy. But I don't want to have to go thru the expense of getting custom panels made, and the sprayed.

Does any one know if they have to be panelled, or if they can be just blacked out?

And if I legally have to go with a panel, does any one know of some one near Greystones that would do such a thing?

Thanks,

Pip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Disconnect the window actuators and glue carpet to the inside of the windows and it will pass no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Would you get away with applying some type of black out film to the window? Yer mans being a knob head I think - I've seen imported Navaras with windows...

I've just bought a Navara Kingcab myself (an original Irish model - it has panels) and was looking at that particular example online a few weeks ago. I probably could have bought a bit cheaper in the UK but I used the price of UK imports as a stick to beat a good bit off the asking price and condition is almost spotless with FSH and low miles.

One curious thing - the Irish spec model retained the pre-facelift front-end whilst the British ones have the same nose a the crew-cab...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Thanks guys,

I think the guys is just being a tw*t about the whole thing, but its him I need to please.

You've got me thinking though. If I black out the windows, and stick carpet to the inside, and then remove the locks, surly that would get it thru, as the 'windows' are dissabled?

And sorry the ebay link I sent was not my kingcab. I went for an older modle as its going to be a work horse, and anything newer I'd be afraid to scratch or mark....
    He's mine http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160125833588&rd=1&rd=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I have taxed a few commercial vehicles in my years. The criteria for being a commercial is no windows behind the drivers seat.
    It made me wonder if you had a huge engined 2 seater sports car could it be classed as a commercial.Years ago commercial tax meant huge savings not so much now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wexfordcaravans

I have a 1995 Isuzu Trooper passenger I want to import into Ireland, the question I have is that I want to turn it into a commercial but the rules do state that all the windows behind the driver have to be either metal or fibreglass, I want to simply black the windows out and add carpet to the inside of the windows, also removing the electric window motors, I have also been told that when I remove the rear seats, I have to weld a steel plate over the rear passenger foot well and weld all the rear seat belt mounting bolt holes, is this correct?

Simon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

i converted a pasanger pajero to a commercial, i welded in a floor into the space in the rear seat footwell and blacked out the windows with limo black tint n it was ok

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

OP you don't have to go back to the same VRO office,you can go to any one you like. I'd swear they make it up as they go.:mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If you bring it in as commercial, do you not pay VRT? I am looking at one of them big donkeys of jeeps, but it has seats in back also, would I get away without paying VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Try a different office Pip, you can register it any one you like.
    Limo tinted glass should be all you need, Maybe take the canopy of the back before you go in, that would make it look more "commerical" ;)

Advertisement