Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recording set up

Options
  • 30-06-2007 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hey, could some people give me some advice on a good homE recording setup. What do the people on here use to record demos?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

To be honest your question is too broad to answer without more specifics. Music style, budget, gear you all ready have etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

I use m-powered pro-tools le, tis pricey at about 700 euro well for m-box 2 anyway, i reckon its worth it, but you'd need a very good pc, or a half decent mac for best results.... had good results so far. but all depends on budget tho,more bucks= better gear

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭acidhappy

frobisher wrote:
    To be honest your question is too broad to answer without more specifics. Music style, budget, gear you all ready have etc.

Well for someone's who is just getting into home recording.... I looking to make some half decent demos at home. Music style is alternative i guess. I'd be recording guitars (acoustic and electric), keyboards and vocals. I have no recording equip just what i need for playing. Guitars/synth amp pedals. I could probably stretch to 1.5k, 2Kmaybe. Thats including the cost of a computer. I'm looking for a setup thats easy to operate. Any idea what would be good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

acidhappy wrote:
    Well for someone's who is just getting into home recording.... I looking to make some half decent demos at home. Music style is alternative i guess. I'd be recording guitars (acoustic and electric), keyboards and vocals. I have no recording equip just what i need for playing. Guitars/synth amp pedals. I could probably stretch to 1.5k, 2Kmaybe. Thats including the cost of a computer. I'm looking for a setup thats easy to operate. Any idea what would be good?

Okay, you want a DAW - Digital Audio Workstation, it's any software recording platform that uses a computer as opposed to he previously popular hard disk recording methods - 8 tracks et all.

I'd put a grand into a **** hot PC set up for audio.... you want a gig of ram minimum, alot of HD space, possibly two hard drives if you can. A firewire card will also help, but you can buy 'em seperately.

With the other 500 - 1000 you need an interface or sound card - a means of converting analogue sounds (microphones, guitar signals etc) into a digital format onto your computer. You also need microphones. The big thing you have tod ecide is whether you need to record real drums....if so, you'll need a mixer or pre-amp with more inputs and more microphones.

If you're gonna focus on acoustic and electric guitars, get a decent 2 input interface like this

http://www.thomann.de/ie/presonus_firebox.htm

This gives you €200 to spend on Microphones.

Get a good dynamic mic

http://www.thomann.de/ie/shure_sm58.htm

And these small diaphragm condensors are pretty amazing for the money and useful for a good acoustic sound (2 x MSH 2s)

http://www.naiant.com/studiostore.html

Now you're broke but you should be able to make some nice sounds. As far as good demos, you might have to think about treating your room and upgrading the mics in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

Hey could anyone recomend a good mic for recording electric guitar through an amp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Sm57

Advertisement