Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

digiweb websites not loading for BT

Options
  • 30-06-2007 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

not sure where to post this, but im currently hosting with digiweb and my site as well as anything else hosted on their servers [except the main site] wont load , it works when i use some other proxy.

not sure whats going on?
    boards.ie doesnt seem to work either.

its a bit on and off, works for a few min then wont load for ages

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

BT DNS servers aren't the best, use something like OpenDNS for your client dns.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

zabbo wrote:
    BT DNS servers aren't the best, use something like OpenDNS for your client dns.

It may be a bit more serious than that. I had that problem (my domain and mail is also on digiweb) so I set my DNS to eircom but their servers couldn't resolve digiweb addresses and traceroutes with hostnames stopped at the Digiweb Inex Gateway. Traceroutes without hostnames gotall the way. Then I changed to OpenDNS and all was well. I get my personal email on my blackberry and mail service was sporadic on that yesterday as well which would imply other ISPs were having issues.

However it is worrying that the largest ISP in Ireland is having issues with Digiweb. It's also worrying that _none_ of the phone numbers of the Digiweb site actually worked yesterday evening. I ended up rooting out a sales number which gave me a 1890 for support but "He" (the support guy) was on a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭chupi

Was having exact same problems as Placebo yesterday whilst working on a site i have hosted on Digiweb. I'm using BT for my connection, switched to Open DNS servers and all well, no timeouts and can reach everything I need to reach on the Digiweb network.

Looking at parsi's problem, there could be some maintenance work going on at Inex, some very odd stuff going down with BT though, had no connection last night for 2-3 hours and same issues with nameservers when i checked them again this morning.

Open DNS ftw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I've never had any DNS problem on Digiweb.

My router has the DNS and all my PCs have the Router IP for gateway and DNS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

watty wrote:
    I've never had any DNS problem on Digiweb.

My router has the DNS and all my PCs have the Router IP for gateway and DNS.
    The problem isn't on Digiweb broadband, Watty. (If that's what I think you are referring to.) It is with users on other ISPs accessing Digiweb's DNS. There has been some kind of strange, transient, problem.

I don't know if your router's DNS is some kind of local caching DNS that forwards to an ISP DNS for real lookups. But the reality is that something is causing Digiweb's DNS, particularly the ones that they use for hosted clients (ns1.hosting.digiweb.ie and ns3.hosting.digiweb.ie I think) to become invisible at times.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Is it only using BT DNS that is a problem?

Is it a new hostname? New names can take up 48hrs to be stable on DNS.

Yes, my router caches/Proxies DNS, as virtually all do by default if you put your routers IP as your own DNS server entry. Especially if you have multiple PCs, its an advantage, You can always manually edit one of the DNS server entries ion the routher WAN side to be different to the ISP default.

watty wrote:
    Is it only using BT DNS that is a problem?
    I don't think so Watty.
    The dnses here use the root zone servers rather than ISP servers. And I saw a similar problem with Digiweb over the last few days. The .ie queries were going to the .ie nameservers and then to the Digiweb DNSes. The .com/net/org/biz/info/mobi queries travel a similar path but to the respective root servers and then to the digiweb DNSes. The problem was that they did not seem to get to the Digiweb hosting DNSes. However the IP range here is an Esat one.
    Is it a new hostname? New names can take up 48hrs to be stable on DNS.
    No. It was only with digiweb hosted sites using the ns(1|3).hosting.digiweb.ie servers from what I remember.

Regards...jmcc

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Certainly isn't for new hostnames - boards has been around for a while.

I do note that boards is slow to load on Esat (home) and Eircom (work). A new twist this morning seems to be that I can logon to webmail and send messages but they aren't arriving at destinations served by eircom (and aren't blocked by spam filters). edit= they actually arrived (en masse) after 1 hour. Email to gmail arrived virtually instantly.

ALso kloth.net can't resolve ns1.hosting.digiweb.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

It might be something to do with Digiweb filtering IPs IOL are using. I run BIND and it seems that anytime I get an IP in the 78.16.0.0/14 range I can't resolve boards.ie. digs from my own machine timeout, can't dig from ns1/3.hosting.digiweb.ie either. Doesn't seem to happen with any other IP I'm assigned, so I just disconnect/reconnect until I get on that 'works'. I'd imagine IOL must be using that range on their resolvers too, that could be why it's happening to others.

I was looking around yesterday and until August last year the 78 address were on those Bogon filter lists, so maybe Digiweb are using an out of date filter and that's why those addresses are being blocked. I'm just guessing though, but there's definitely something up.

parsi wrote:
    ALso kloth.net can't resolve ns1.hosting.digiweb.ie
    That seems to be the problem. It could be a routing issue or it could be something else. Eitherway, it is a problem and it has not been solved yet.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
Advertisement