Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Youth Championships

• 30-06-2007 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Never mind the U21s, this is the big one. It's all on Eurosport I think. Poland v Brazil on Eurosport 2 atm.
    1-0 Poland and down to 10 men. Goal from a direct freekick but the Brazil keeper was positioned terribly. Polish star defender sent off for 2 fouls by Howard Webb. Poland really showing Brazil up so far.

The Scotland team that made the U19 European final last year had an entire midfield made up of Celtic players. Unfortunately central midfielders Ferry and Grant have been injured pretty much since then so miss out. Ferry has apparently got great potential. There's still 3 or 4 Celtic players there including the Scotland captain, Scott Cuthbert, and the 2 Scotland wingers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Scotland beaten by Japan in their opening game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Scotland were terrible. By the looks of it Japan will probably be challenging for World Cups in 10 years time. The new Brazil. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Scotland were awful last night, McNeil had a shocker in goals, but as a whole the team looked like they didnt care.

All matches are streamed live free on Fifa.com:
    http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/livecoverage.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Brilliant, cheers Eirebhoy. Really pissed off Lucas is out for the tournament, was really looking forward to seeing him in action. Just got to see him in the second leg of the Final of the Copa Libertadores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

USA just after beating the Poles 6-1 with Freddie Adu getting a hatrick. He could be well and truly back in the shop window after these championships if he keeps this up.

The czechs on the other hand just got pegged back 2mins from time by North Korea with a penalty. Poor pen, saved, but the taker slotted the rebound.

gutted, had some money on it :(

That Fifa stream is really good though! Can watch it fullscreen and still make out who's who!

Pighead wrote:
    USA just after beating the Poles 6-1 with Freddie Adu getting a hatrick. He could be well and truly back in the shop window after these championships if he keeps this up.
    Incredible scoreline considering Poland went 1-0 up. Just watched the goals on the FIFA site, great hattrick from Adu. He destroyed Celtic this time last year. Why hasn't he been signed by anyone in Europe yet?

Brazil v USA should be a good one. Are teams seperated by goal difference or head to head?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

eirebhoy wrote:
    Why hasn't he been signed by anyone in Europe yet?
    Wasn't there supposed to be some confusion over his actual age, that he could be a year or two older than he actually claims to be, but there's no documentation to prove it? Martins and Agahowa had similar problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

That was a great first goal by Adu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Wasn't Adu on trial at Utd and they refused the chance to sign him after the trial ended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Wasn't Adu on trial at Utd and they refused the chance to sign him after the trial ended?

He had a trial but they didn't refuse to sign him. He can't move to Europe until he turns 18.

andrewie wrote:
    He had a trial but they didn't refuse to sign him. He can't move to Europe until he turns 18.
    Are you sure? I thought that rule was only for Brazilians?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

I'm 99% sure American's under the age of 18 can't move unless their families move for non-footballing reasons.

Thats what I've read on numberous occasions and it was reported while he was on trial at United.

andrewie wrote:
    I'm 99% sure American's under the age of 18 can't move unless their families move for non-footballing reasons.

Thats what I've read on numberous occasions and it was reported while he was on trial at United.
    Okay cool. I just knew about the Brazilian rule and thought maybe you were confused!

Anyways, back on topic eh? Who's the tournament favs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Yes a player has to be over 18 from the US. But Freddie turned 18 a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Im sure I read ages ago after the trial, that Utd told him they'd keep on eye on him and see how he does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I was at the games in Montreal yesterday (USA vs Poland and Brazil vs South Korea). Firstly, Freddy Adu was a monster yesterday. He ran rings around the Poles but he couldn't have done it all on his own. He can thank his team mates and especially #15, Sal Zizzo for two of his goals. Adu showed great skill, lead by example and finished his goals superbly. The USA were a credit to football, seriously. Even when they were 6-1 u with only a couple of minutes to go, they kept looking for another goal. If they keep playing with the style and hunger that they showed against the Poles, they can go all the way.

Brazil vs Korea was another cracker. Brazil showed some good skill but were pretty unimpressive overall. Korea really rattled them and were desperately unlucky to not get a point from the game. Some of the Brazilian players started to pick up some lengthy knocks after Korea scored their first and especially after Korea made it 3-2. I wonder why. :rolleyes:

Tuesday had 2 of the best matches I've seen in a long time. Here's hoping that Korea and Poland keep it up on Friday in Montreal. I'll be roaring for the Koreans. :)

Under-20 World Cup > Real World Cup

I was expecting a lot more from Nigeria. They struggled when Scotland put pressure on them. I think I'll put a couple of e/w bets on Japan and USA at 16/1 and 20/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

why isnt lucas leiva playing? Thought he was captain?

Do you know is Kerlon in the brazil squad? So much was made of him but the last year theres been no word. He only scored 1 goal for cruzerio last season out of 28 games. Check youtube though he can run down the pitch by balancing the ball on his head.

• Advertisement

Gotta feel for Lucas, he got injured in one of the last training sessions before the tournament started and is ruled out for pretty much the whole thing i think.

USA beat Brazil 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I was at the South Korea vs Poland game on Friday. Another entertaining, strong and skillful showing by then. They really should have won this, although Poland did play a good defensive game. Lee had a glorious chance in the third minute of injury time but with the goalkeeper lying on his back, Lee choose to pass it back to a team mate instead of tucking it away. The ball ended up at the feet of a clutch of Polish players instead of in the back of the net. It was a tight angle but I was sitting close to the Polish goal in the second half and I know that he could have finished it off. He only had to put it high.

Korea deserved far more than they got in this tournament. They need to learn how to score, that's all. Thanks for the memories.

PS: Did anyone see Adu's "escape" from the corner and his two markers just before the USA's second goal against Brazil? It was :eek:.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k6F-v53b_Y
    Adu's piece of trickery is around the 1:50 mark.

Advertisement