Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Miss Ireland 2007

• 30-06-2007 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Hey, I read somewhere that the final is on live tonight but I can't seem to find it on any of the channels?

Any of you guys know what's happening??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

Had the pleasure of being there. No live Tv but Expose on TV3 at 6 tonight have a full feature on the event. My eyes have yet to recover from the strain of so many stunning women in one place (most of them not in the actual competition).
    Have to say tall girls are not my type so if I'd have been a judge Miss Heaven Nightclub, Amy Ward, would have been the winner. At 5'2" she's a perfect package. And a lovely girl to boot. Oh the impure thoughts about her and my 5' bombshell girlfriend (who held my hand throughout the even, probably to prevent me falling to the floor and worshipping God for allowing me to be there). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The girls were not that great looking anyway, pretty-ish but that's being generous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Who won it in the end??

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kkposse

Miss Time won it, sexy girl next door type, not ur average peroxide blonde:D

kkposse wrote:
    Miss Time won it, sexy girl next door type, not ur average peroxide blonde:D

Big shock that she won, very plain, even her dress was dull. There was nearly stunned silence when she was called out.

Most of the girls much better looking in reality than in pictures, although some of them were painfully skinny. Tall and skinny is not really my type, but, there was plenty of stunners attending the event.

Had €50 on my girlfriends best mate at 16/1, she got to the final 10 and we were sure we were on a winner after 2nd and 3rd were called out. Was a great weekend though and she was delighted just to make the top 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kkposse

maybe the judges were looking for a change and not another rosanna davison clone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 allabouttone

eh... i don't know. wasn't too impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

I thought Karen Sutton should have won, she came second

http://www.missireland2007.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/karensutton.jpg

gorgeous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Sawa wrote:

gorgeous!

Blah, anorexia alert...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i think the top 3 were all horrible tbh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

How did miss karma galway do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Sawa wrote:

gorgeous!

Yes, because the more generic and plasticine one is the hotter, of course.......

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

Sawa wrote:

gorgeous!

Waaaaaaaaaaaay to skinny. Absolutely nothing special about her at all.

I hope they gave her a free McDonalds voucher afterwards....she cud do with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Who were the top 3? I know one of d girls competing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

I agree with the judges on this one. She was the best of the lot. That's not saying much as the field was rather blah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 gottoomuchmilk

Sawa wrote:

gorgeous!

OMG she actually looks ill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

good jaysais. lots of bitching on this thread. just because someone is skinny doesn't make them anorexic.

She is slim/skinny, and not every males ideal woman, but she isn't anorexic.

Vultures in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The-Rigger wrote:
    good jaysais. lots of bitching on this thread. just because someone is skinny doesn't make them anorexic.

She is slim/skinny, and not every males ideal woman, but she isn't anorexic.

Vultures in here.

In all fairness if you enter a competition such as Miss Ireland which is purely based on appearances then what else can you discuss but the individual girls looks. The increasing press coverage given to the Miss Ireland competition is just sickening.At least the rose of Tralee is based a bit on personality and women don't have to parade about in a bikini on a stage being ogled by a bunch of pervy men.

panda100 wrote:
    In all fairness if you enter a competition such as Miss Ireland which is purely based on appearances then what else can you discuss but the individual girls looks. The increasing press coverage given to the Miss Ireland competition is just sickening.At least the rose of Tralee is based a bit on personality and women don't have to parade about in a bikini on a stage being ogled by a bunch of pervy men.

poor afflicted wimmins been taken advantage of by terrible men folk. :rolleyes::p

They don't have to take part if they don't want to. I wouldn't call coverage of Miss Ireland sickening. While I have no interest in it whatseover, It's just another bit of light entertainment, for those who follow it.

I don't think it's fair for a contestant/s to be called anorexic because they are slim.

Perhaps some of them live on rice cakes and water, but you can't tell that by looking at them. You would have to have an close working/personal relationship to know what they're day to day eating habbits are.

I'm a male, I am slim, I get some people telling I should 'eat more'. Well, I eat a lot, I eat as much or more than most of the people who tell me this.

Metabolism does exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

All too skinny.

I liked Kerry
    thereseferris.jpg

• Advertisement

• I was in college with Blathnaid, the girl who won, and IMO she's very pretty in real life. I don't know about Miss World standard but I thought she was way prettier than most of the other girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

electric69 wrote:
    Waaaaaaaaaaaay to skinny. Absolutely nothing special about her at all.

I hope they gave her a free McDonalds voucher afterwards....she cud do with it!

I will admit at that angle she looks particularly skinny.
    However I went to school with Karen and she has always been slim and tall. She eats normally but exercises, y'know like hockey etc. so I don't see what the problem with being slim is if you are naturally like that.
    OMG she actually looks ill

Yes, because the more generic and plasticine one is the hotter, of course.......

Because she is naturally blonde and tall she looks "plasticine"? There's no need to be so harsh!

She really is stunning and a lovely person and is actually glad she didn't win because she doesn't have to leave college now.

Heres a more normal picture of her
    http://assetsmodels.com/femalemodels/190bigX1568.jpg

Have to say tall girls are not my type so if I'd have been a judge Miss Heaven Nightclub, Amy Ward, would have been the winner. At 5'2" she's a perfect package. And a lovely girl to boot.
    Was in school with Amy also, lovely girl.

Feel like i should point out that while looks were obviously a key factor in the event they were far from the only consideration. The girls had to make speeches and the top ten were interviewed on stage.

To call it exploitation is a bit harsh, almost every girl in the competition had a degree, at least 4 were studying law. Most of the girls had ambitions to do some modeling work or just to gain exposure and possibly break into the entertainment industry, they were highly intelligent and sharp business women.

If a girl wants to make money through the modeling industry and she has the figure that is in demand why begrudge her? I'll admit a few of the girls were a bit over skinny, but the vast majority had very healthy figures. :)
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭katiemac

most of them are dumb. not too well educated. They might be attractive looking but once they open their mouths things change. And they all have a favourite CHARITY. the whole thing is a circus and makes me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

katiemac wrote:
    most of them are dumb. not too well educated. They might be attractive looking but once they open their mouths things change. And they all have a favourite CHARITY. the whole thing is a circus and makes me sick.

are you being ironic with that post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Feel like i should point out that while looks were obviously a key factor in the event they were far from the only consideration. The girls had to make speeches and the top ten were interviewed on stage.

So If someone overweight,spotty,bald and a big nose went up on the stage and gave a martin Luther king type speech do you think they'd win..........?

<admin snip>

Because for every intelligent beautiful women that shows of her body in a bikini for the miss Ireland she is continuing to reinforce that beauty comes before brains to be a successful women.(I note that the budding barrister did not win so obviously brains weren't what the judges were looking for) They were looking for the best looking cos at the end of the day thats what Miss world is all about. If people want to enter it thats fine but just as long as they know that they are continuing to degrade women and we continue to get less pay and less high positions then out male counterparts despite being better educated.

And it is exploitation,all the contestants in the miss Ireland finals looked exactly the same.This is reinforcing to young Irish women (and men) that we all have to look this way to be seen as beautiful. What about individuality,different body forms,different face shapes...you don't have to have big breasts,a flat stomach and a peachy bum to be beautiful. To me Irish women are beautiful cos we are all so unique and the clones that you get in Miss Ireland do not represent the 'beautiful' women of Ireland. They represent what is deemed to me as an American style beauty.....tanned,toned to perfection,white teeth.... Miss Ireland reinforces time and time again to women that we have to look a certain way and to me that is exploitation and if these women entering miss Ireland were so 'clever' they would see this too.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

^^^^
    I think somebody's jealous! :D

Ugh, I hate when I'm reminded of how ugly the attitudes/jealousy/begrudgery of women.

panda100 wrote:
    And it is exploitation,all the contestants in the miss Ireland finals looked exactly the same.This is reinforcing to young Irish women (and men) that we all have to look this way to be seen as beautiful.

Maybe people should be encourage to have an opinion of their own, and not be constantly fcukin wingeing about how much 'pressure' they feel because from the media/magazines/Miss Ireland/celebs that they think are attractive/slimmer than them, etc etc.

Jaysais it's getting old. Anyone who really feels that much pressure from seeing celebrities should engage their brain a bit and not be so easily influenced.

If one publisher brought out a magazine filled with unattractive people/unattractive celebs/

Would you buy it?

The answer is no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

im so ****ing sick of that kind of response.
    any female who ever criticises these competitions or the calibre of women in them and we're jealous :rolleyes:
    you cant make any kind of negative comment towards the blonde bimbo type these days without being jealous, it pisses me off to no end!

• Advertisement

Seraphina wrote:
    im so ****ing sick of that kind of response.
    any female who ever criticises these competitions or the calibre of women in them and we're jealous :rolleyes:
    you cant make any kind of negative comment towards the blonde bimbo type these days without being jealous, it pisses me off to no end!

And what makes them bimbos? Because they entered/won Miss Ireland?

Or is it the amount of law degrees they share according to a previous poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

The girls who are saying they look "ill" are probably just fat themselves. Anyhow, most of the girls I saw in it were terrible. It just shows the standard of Irish women these days. I knew a girl in it and she wouldn't be fit to lick pooh off the shoes of some everyday women I see walking down the street. Mostly Eastern European though

walt0r wrote:
    The girls who are saying they look "ill" are probably just fat themselves. Anyhow, most of the girls I saw in it were terrible. It just shows the standard of Irish women these days. I knew a girl in it and she wouldn't be fit to lick pooh off the shoes of some everyday women I see walking down the street. Mostly Eastern European though

///lol

*ducks for cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Sawa wrote:

gorgeous!

aka.........

6a00b8ea071cde1bc000c22526e35b604a-320pi

Somebody call 999, she's missing her arse!!! Seriously, she needs to do more eating!!!

I'm not saying all Irish girls are terrible. But let's be honet here, 95% are. Maybe more. There are the odd few diamonds in the rough. I was in Vegas and California for a few weeks there. At the beach most days in Cali every second girl had an unbelievable body. I work out a lot and was in the gyms in most places and saw an amount of women hit the weights and cardio. It's the difference between them and us. They look after themselves. Irish women are happy to go out every weekend and get scalded until then fall off a stool and go to supermacs and eat 2 taco fries, cheeseburger and a coke. No wonder their teeth are rotting outta their heads and they have bellies hanging over their belts and then get depressed and cry and whinge and go around sayin "weh weh im fat wehhh wehh why meeee boo hooo!"
    Sure you can go out and enjoy yourself and have a few drinks. I'm a student and I drink more than nearly all of my friends. But the difference is doing a little, doesn't have to be a lot, of exercise.

panda100 wrote:
    Because for every intelligent beautiful women that shows of her body in a bikini for the miss Ireland she is continuing to reinforce that beauty comes before brains to be a successful women

Why you don't you hear men moaning about being degraded in mister universe contests etc by having to prance about in banana hammocks as it re-inforces to us that we should be muscley and well hung to be considered attractive?

I'll tell you why: cos we couldn't give a bollix. If some chap thinks he looks the biz oiled up after doing a few press ups and sun beds then let him at it. Do I feel pressured to conform? nope. couldn't give a bollix.

Likewise, if some girl thinks she looks the biz after dyeing her hair blonde, doing a few sunbeds, etc then she should be able to without getting flak for "pressuring" other girls to do the same.

If you think you look good enough to win the contest and have a "different body form, different face shape" then bloody go for it and quit pissing and moaning about the girls that are in it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Out of the bunch Karen is the best, miss Kerry second.
    I'm just voicing my penisies opinions.

I wouldn't touch the Kerry one with your penis ald. But that Karen one is daycent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

It's a gender thing.

Men = meh

Women = bitches

also, if any of you wimmins manage to get a hold of the one that's responsible for defining what's attractive will you tell them to make fat, pale, small knobbed men the in-thing this summer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

walt0r wrote:
    I wouldn't touch the Kerry one with your penis ald. But that Karen one is daycent.
    I had to work with what I was given!

Karen looks a lot better in the picture from her friend.

• Advertisement

Why you don't you hear men moaning about being degraded in mister universe contests etc by having to prance about in banana hammocks as it re-inforces to us that we should be muscley and well hung to be considered attractive?

I'll tell you why: cos we couldn't give a bollix. If some chap thinks he looks the biz oiled up after doing a few press ups and sun beds then let him at it. Do I feel pressured to conform? nope. couldn't give a bollix.

Likewise, if some girl thinks she looks the biz after dyeing her hair blonde, doing a few sunbeds, etc then she should be able to without getting flak for "pressuring" other girls to do the same.

If you think you look good enough to win the contest and have a "different body form, different face shape" then bloody go for it and quit pissing and moaning about the girls that are in it.

heh, good post.

Also, I haven't worked in an office environment in years, but I do recall one or two offices in which I've worked where one or two of the girls would have pictures of some grand slab of
    beef of a man in a loin cloth-esq state plastered across their cubicle.

If a male employee were to attempt to put up a similar picture of the fairer sex, he would probably get a serious dressing down.

Honestly, I never brought it up as is part of my 'meh' attitude.
    With that said, if it had been in direct eye line of my work space, it would of been off putting.

Now, not off putting because I would go to the toilets and cry to myself in a fetal position and wonder I was so inferior to this granite carved man.

It's, just I would of had no desire to have pictures if my direct eye line 40 hours a week of some guy who clearly spreads half a stick of Kerrygold on his chest before having his photo taken.

Advertisement