Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automated order processing (using excel!)

Options
  • 30-06-2007 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could think of a possible solution to help with the current system of stock ordering I'm using in work.....

I get orders in via an excel document, with quantity, type, buyer etc. Then I compile them all into one master file. The excel master has a little formula on each line, which computes an order number based on the quantinty, price etc. At the end of the week these numbers are my output which I copy and paste into a separate file to mail off. I know it's not an ideal method but I'm looking for a way to slightly automate it.

I was thinking along the lines of a php form that i'd fill in (or get the buyer to fill in), but can this write to my excel master file? I've googled around but just found solutions involving MySQL, and as this is a work laptop it wouldn't be too easy to install little servers or databases on it.

Would something written in VB be able to extract certain values from specific cells in one file and past them into a line in another excel file?

[Edit] - Also, I realise this may seem like the wrong forum, I just put it here because I read cianclarke's similar thread and I was thinking of a web form style solution! Mods feel free to move to programming if it's more suitable?

Comments

Advertisement