Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance learning with OU

Options
  • 30-06-2007 8:48pm

Hi i am enquiring about the possibility of doing a course with OU in Information tech. I work two shifts 8am-4.30pm and 4.30pm-1am so i dunno how flexible ill need it to be.

Bascially i was wanted to hear if anyone had a similar experience and if they were successful in getting a job here in ireland with it.

Is the OU degree/diploma recognised by the govt / eu standards or whatever the case may be.

Will i need broadband??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The OU is pretty much flexible around whatever hours you want so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

There are loads of people with OU qualifications in Ireland, and yes OU degrees are recognised the same as a degree from any other University.

As far as I know, broadband isn't a requirement for most if not all courses, but some require net access.

BuffyBot wrote:
    The OU is pretty much flexible around whatever hours you want so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

There are loads of people with OU qualifications in Ireland, and yes OU degrees are recognised the same as a degree from any other University.

As far as I know, broadband isn't a requirement for most if not all courses, but some require net access.

cheers buffy.

If you have worries about requirements for a particular course dn't be afraid to ring their Dublin Enquries and Advice office on 01 6785399. They're pretty helpful and if they don't know the answer, they'll normally go find it out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 scitilop

The one thing to remember is how expensive they are from Ireland. I applied and was accepted for a masters last year and only then was i advised that it would cost roughly €9-10k for a 5 module masters in a non-technical area (humanities). They don't list ROI prices on the website and only state that the UK prices (about £600 for a module) are heavily subsidised.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,381 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The Irish prices are there, cant remember how I found them but there is an option, but yes, they are expensive. Very helpful and pleasant people tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

looksee wrote:
    The Irish prices are there, cant remember how I found them but there is an option, but yes, they are expensive. Very helpful and pleasant people tho.

Click on to the page detailing the course of interest. You will see fees in a box at the top of the page and a separate link for RoI fee and rest of world fees.

Although I appreciate why the RoI fees are very expensive though even allowing for what you get in Ireland by way of tax relief on fees.

Beware that in some courses you may need to purchase additional textbooks which might increase the costs even further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Aquitaine

I'm thinking of starting a course with the OU but its about €1700 per module. it is very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I'm planning to do a course starting Feb 2008 - "T206 Energy for a Sustainable Future". And its going to cost 1700. Ouch!

Has anyone done this course before? What sort of tax refund can you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Cyclonius

Sorry, hate to dig up a dead thread, but I was wondering how much study each postgrad module really takes in hours; the OU website says about 12 hours per week, but DCU said the same thing for my undergrad degree and it didn't work out at anywhere close (although maybe it should have :) ).

Basically I'm thinking of doing a management masters in DCU, UCD or DIT next year; to get in I'll need a postgrad diploma. Would doing the full thing (4 x 30 point modules) between November and May, studying more or less full time, be doable or would it be approaching the level of insanity?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I would take what the OU say and double it, unless you are an extremely efficient studyer :-)

Also try and get some sample course material - some public libraries carry most of the OU course books, such as the Ilac in Dublin - because a course might be a lot more difficult that it looks on the blurb on the OU page. I'm doing biological psychology this year and it's only worth 30 point, but it's *extremely* heavy going and it's not even a level 3 (final year) course!

OP - I would recommend you have broadband, purely because you'll find research a real pain on a slow dialup connection :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Cyclonius

Cheers mate. I didn't realise that the OU books would be available so readily in libraries. I'll try and get a hold of them and have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi i am enquiring about the possibility of doing a course with OU in Information tech. I work two shifts 8am-4.30pm and 4.30pm-1am so i dunno how flexible ill need it to be.

Bascially i was wanted to hear if anyone had a similar experience and if they were successful in getting a job here in ireland with it.

Is the OU degree/diploma recognised by the govt / eu standards or whatever the case may be.

Will i need broadband??

just as a matter of interest have you looked at the Oscail Bsc in IT? I found it very good, and it runs in well with the MSC amd it's cheaper

A lot of OU degrees say OU on the paper, but the Oscail one does not, it says DCU or UL etc, I think that looks better

Does anyone know if you get a student card if you study with the OU?

with oscail you get a card from your chosen study centre, with OU you get an OU card that is clearly a part time card, but with Oscail (DCU anyway) the part time and full time card are the same.

Stoner wrote:
    with oscail you get a card from your chosen study centre, with OU you get an OU card that is clearly a part time card, but with Oscail (DCU anyway) the part time and full time card are the same.

Not true - I have an OU NUS card which gets me student tickets on the luas, and discounts in lots of shops that offer student discounts.

How do you get an OU student card? i am a registered student.

Try dropping a mail to ousa-mem-card@open.ac.uk for more info.

Aquitaine wrote:
    How do you get an OU student card? i am a registered student.

http://www2.open.ac.uk/ousa//p2_5.shtml

You get an ISIC and NUS card in one! Awesome!

eth0_ wrote:
    Not true - I have an OU NUS card which gets me student tickets on the luas, and discounts in lots of shops that offer student discounts.

sorry about that so, the last official OU card I saw (about 3 years ago) was very obviously OU, good to see it has changed.:)

Advertisement