Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dodging vrt?

Options
  • 30-06-2007 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

There has been a Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 on foreign plates in my town for about 6 months. What can I do about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Shove a Spud up the exhaust pipe , sit back and watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

good plan, but do you have any legal alternative incase I don't want to go down that route?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

tuxy wrote:
    There has been a Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 on foreign plates in my town for about 6 months. What can I do about it?
    Mind your own business

• Registered Users Posts: 45,747 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

tuxy wrote:
    good plan, but do you have any legal alternative incase I don't want to go down that route?
    put a call through to customs, if you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Get a life, thats what you should do.

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote:
    Mind your own business

So only people originally from Ireland should pay VRT?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Contact your local VRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

For the n-th time ...

Not everybody driving around on foreign plates is automatically a tax dodger. There ARE exemptions, you know ...

IT guy (or girl) on temporary contract, for example.

With a car that provides such potentially rich pickings in vehicle robbery tax the VRO will go after them soon enough.

Now contain your envy and get on with life ...

What life?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

peasant wrote:
    For the n-th time ...

Not everybody driving around on foreign plates is automatically a tax dodger. There ARE exemptions, you know ...

IT guy (or girl) on temporary contract, for example.

With a car that provides such potentially rich pickings in vehicle robbery tax the VRO will go after them soon enough.

Now contain your envy and get on with life ...

Down here there's a Polish VW Transporter which is virtually new and has logos advertising Renovation Work with an 087 so I presume they'd be liable to VRT ? Not envious by the way - that van would be way too big..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I wish I owned a town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

i cant believe im reading this? its none of your business if someone has a car on forign plates over here., you really ned to go get a hobby and keep out of other peoples business.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Cant believe im reading this either, jesus get a life. The system in thus country screws you that much I sat fair play if you can screw it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭nastysimon

Cant believe im reading this either, jesus get a life. The system in thus country screws you that much I sat fair play if you can screw it back.
    The "system" as you like to call it is society, or more appropriately, us. It makes demands on all of us and one of these is VRT. If I pay VRT and someone else evades it, then effectively I am paying for them. Ultimately, all tax evasion is a form of theft and anything you can do to stop it is to be encouraged. If everyone payed all the taxes that they were supposed to, there would be less to pay by the majority (it's a minority that are actually screwing the system, but the majority pay for them).
    If you think he is evading paying VRT, talk to your local revenue office or VRO. If he is screwing you, why shouldn't you screw back. And if he's not, the VRO will check him out, find him to be clear and you'll not feel annoyed with him for screwing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

parsi wrote:
    Down here there's a Polish VW Transporter which is virtually new and has logos advertising Renovation Work with an 087 so I presume they'd be liable to VRT ? Not envious by the way - that van would be way too big..

It's only €50 for them to VRT that van so I'm sure there's good reason for them not:cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Only 50. Jeez that's cheap. Nice van though..

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭j2dab

nastysimon wrote:
    The "system" as you like to call it is society, or more appropriately, us. It makes demands on all of us and one of these is VRT. If I pay VRT and someone else evades it, then effectively I am paying for them. Ultimately, all tax evasion is a form of theft and anything you can do to stop it is to be encouraged. If everyone payed all the taxes that they were supposed to, there would be less to pay by the majority (it's a minority that are actually screwing the system, but the majority pay for them).
    If you think he is evading paying VRT, talk to your local revenue office or VRO. If he is screwing you, why shouldn't you screw back. And if he's not, the VRO will check him out, find him to be clear and you'll not feel annoyed with him for screwing you.

You actually believe that if everbody paid VRT, it would start to become lower? The VRT has made the Government more money then they ever expected to make off it, there is no way that everyone who doesnt pay it are keeping the prices higher.

And as for this thread even existing. It is a complete joke! Someone really needs to get a life.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Grass them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

nastysimon wrote:
    The "system" as you like to call it is society, or more appropriately, us. It makes demands on all of us and one of these is VRT. If I pay VRT and someone else evades it, then effectively I am paying for them. Ultimately, all tax evasion is a form of theft and anything you can do to stop it is to be encouraged

Well said, nastysimon. It is not up to an individual to decide he / she is already paying "enough" so he / she is not going to pay for the next tax / charge

unkel wrote:
    It is not up to an individual to decide he / she is already paying "enough" so he / she is not going to pay for the next tax / charge

Exactly - but if they want to risk it, let them. There is no point ratting them up. They will get caught eventually but it is no one elses business

• Advertisement

j2dab wrote:
    You actually believe that if everbody paid VRT, it would start to become lower? The VRT has made the Government more money then they ever expected to make off it, there is no way that everyone who doesnt pay it are keeping the prices higher.

And as for this thread even existing. It is a complete joke! Someone really needs to get a life.
    If everyone paid their dues, then those who do pay would pay less. Maybe not in VRT, but judging by the government's past performance, they would probably reduce income tax. All the taxes have to go somewhere and all that happens when one does not pay one's dues is that everyone else pays for them.
    Exactly - but if they want to risk it, let them. There is no point ratting them up. They will get caught eventually but it is no one elses business
    Actually, it is everyone's business as if someone is evading tax, they are stealing from everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

A sales rep that visits me works for an English based company. His company car has english plates and he's based in Ireland. He carries paperwork with him to declare the car is legal to be used in Ireland as he gets stopped often by customs. But it proves all foreign cars are not illegal here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If a vehicle is in the state for more than 187 days then it must be registered here. VRT will then be liable except if owned abroad for 6 months or more, proof of which is required.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

How would you like it if someone followed you around and reported you for any slightly immorral or illegal thing you did!

Seriously, get on with your own life and stop worrying about other peoples wrongdoings.

nastysimon wrote:
    If everyone paid their dues, then those who do pay would pay less. Maybe not in VRT, but judging by the government's past performance, they would probably reduce income tax. All the taxes have to go somewhere and all that happens when one does not pay one's dues is that everyone else pays for them.

Thats fine, completely understand the thread is "Dodging VRT" though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

In fairness, someone driving around with yellow plates for 6 months or more is not only dodging VRT, but they're also flaunting the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Zascar wrote:
    How would you like it if someone followed you around and reported you for any slightly immorral or illegal thing you did!

Seriously, get on with your own life and stop worrying about other peoples wrongdoings.
    It's not 'slightly immoral or illegal', it's stealing from us.

Anan1 wrote:
    It's not 'slightly immoral or illegal', it's stealing from us.

Stealing from us? prices would not go down if everybody paid it. How do you consider is stealing?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭walter sobchak

nastysimon wrote:
    Ultimately, all tax evasion is a form of theft

Like Kent Brockman, I say avoision

• Advertisement

j2dab wrote:
    Stealing from us? prices would not go down if everybody paid it. How do you consider is stealing?
    Who said anything about prices going down. All the taxes are generally combined into one pot which is then used to fund running the country. If one person pays less, then everyone else has to pay a little more, perhaps not in terms of VRT, but somehow. If everyone pays the taxes they are supposed to, then there will be more money for public services, or more likely, less tax to pay in future.

Advertisement