Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dodging vrt?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

steve06 wrote:
    Because it's a stealth tax that goes against european union policies.

Hardly stealthy since we all know it's there and even I know the rates.

I agree it's anti single market, but it's mandatory for now and everyone should pay what they owe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

nastysimon wrote:
    If everyone paid their dues, then those who do pay would pay less. Maybe not in VRT, but judging by the government's past performance, they would probably reduce income tax.

Pig_flies_2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Once again i cant believe what people are saying here, forget about ringing the vrt office just string him up in the street and burn him, though i guiess you probably would not have the balls for that, maybe just key his car, that will teach him the lesson he deserves..

Some people really need to get their priorities sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Hardly stealthy since we all know it's there and even I know the rates.

I agree it's anti single market, but it's mandatory for now and everyone should pay what they owe.
    I don't agree, I don't think we should have to pay it at all... When people kicked up about Stamp duty, now it's being abolished for first time buyers... If everyone kicked up about VRT, maybe we'd all get our first import exempt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

steve06 wrote:
    If everyone kicked up about VRT, maybe we'd all get our first import exempt!

Now wouldnt that be somethin!.. but unfotunately there is too many do-gooders out there who would rather kick up about their neighbours Mercedes rather than kick up about how we are being shafted with VRT.

..unfortuantely thats just how sad and stomach churningly pathetic most people are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

The system in thus country screws you that much I sat fair play if you can screw it back.

Sounds like the 1980's again :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No prospect of VRT abolition/reduction sadly. It's simply too big a revenue generator.

p.s. Of course it's unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

C_Breeze wrote:
    Now wouldnt that be somethin!.. but unfotunately there is too many do-gooders out there who would rather kick up about their neighbours Mercedes rather than kick up about how we are being shafted with VRT.

..unfortuantely thats just how sad and stomach churningly pathetic most people are

Totally agree about being shafted with the vrt tax. Deliberately avoiding this tax is not the answer though - if you feel that aggrieved by it, make it a political issue - thats what your local TD is for.

Everyone fill this in then....

http://www.simi.ie/tax_intro.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

C_Breeze wrote:
    PS> Anan1 , your always on my case so i wont bother, because anything i say you'll just try shoot down
    So you'll tell people to 'shut the hell up and mind your own business', but you 'won't bother' to explain why we should. Does it surprise you when we don't follow your instructions?

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    So you'll tell people to 'shut the hell up and mind your own business', but you 'won't bother' to explain why we should. Does it surprise you when we don't follow your instructions?

If you read my posts after that im sure youll see i did i explain why

C_Breeze wrote:
    If you read my posts after that im sure youll see i did i explain why
    I've real the entire thread, and nowhere do you explain why people shouldn't take an interest in possible VRT evasion. Tell you what, why don't you give it a shot now?

Anan1 wrote:
    I've real the entire thread, and nowhere do you explain why people shouldn't take an interest in possible VRT evasion. Tell you what, why don't you give it a shot now?

because (A) they could have a valid reason, and (b) they could actually reside in the UK aswell.

Either way if youre gonna go taddletailing why not confront them face to face first and there may be an explenation instead of being a rat. Ugh - again see previous posts and also see posts by stev06 .. seems to have his head logically screwed on

C_Breeze wrote:
    because (A) they could have a valid reason, and (b) they could actually reside in the UK aswell.
    If so, then customs will take no action against them.
    C_Breeze wrote:
    Either way if your gonna go taddletailing why not confront them face to face first and there may be an explenation. Ugh - again see previous posts and also see posts by stev06 .. seems to have his head logically screwed on
    Because we pay people to do that for us.

Now, i'm going to ask you again. Why shouldn't people take an interest in possible VRT evasion?

steve06 wrote:

Anan1 wrote:
    Why shouldn't people take an interest in possible VRT evasion?

because it's none of their business and it's not up to them to do the jobs of customs officers. You're treating this as if the guy has a body in his boot... All he has are a set of uk plates on the car.

If the OP walked by the car and looked at the tax and insurance disc and it's all in order then he should leave it. If it's not in order maybe he can ask the owner about it (and get a smack for being a nosey git) or leave a note to say he's going to report him, but personally I think he should get a life!

It is a stealth tax that should not need to be paid....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

ive seen many cars from the Middle East ie Kuwait, UAE, Oman, mostly RHD and Japanese imports and on the above countries licence plates on our roads and resident here for more than Ten Years..........No VRT paid here either???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I have decided not to pay income tax this year (i think its unfair) .... so if everyone doesn't mind paying a tiny bit extra .. thanks :D

report him , i paid vrt , you paid vrt why shouldn't he......

C_Breeze wrote:
    You're having a laugh, right? If you don't like the tax regime here, you can either vote a new government in or emigrate.
    steve06 wrote:
    because it's none of their business and it's not up to them to do the jobs of customs officers.
    Of course it's our business, where do you think tax revenue goes?

If you saw someone robbing a post office, would you call the Guards? Or would that be nobody else's business either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Jakey

I wonder if this was a 1986 Fiesta on UK Plates instead of a merc would this thread exist? or is the Irish begrudger alive and well?

Our politicians are often open for a bit of light corruption and there still voted back in. Why should joe public not try to save a few quid tax too.

Over 90% of cars break the speed limit on 50kph dual carriageways, Speeding kills but would those on the moral high ground report a car doing 5kph over the speed limit on a dual carriageway?

• Advertisement

Jakey wrote:
    Our politicians are often open for a bit of light corruption and there still voted back in. Why should joe public not try to save a few quid tax too.
    Because, as has been pointed out ad nauseum, it's our money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

Jakey wrote:
    I wonder if this was a 1986 Fiesta on UK Plates instead of a merc would this thread exist? or is the Irish begrudger alive and well?

I somehow doubt it would, and yes, the Irish begrudger is certainly alive and very well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

jhegarty wrote:
    I have decided not to pay income tax this year (i think its unfair) .... so if everyone doesn't mind paying a tiny bit extra .. thanks :D

report him , i paid vrt , you paid vrt why shouldn't he......

lol, got there before me.:D

Why stop there,
    I'm not going to pay Road Tax, because I think it’s too much,
    And besides, I only drive down to the shop once a week!

TV Licence, Naa sure I only have it in the house as a computer screen!

NCT, naa sure my car is perfect.

Insurance, why should i get that, sure if i crash the government have a special "pool" of money set aside for that.

I hate VRT , Just like i hate every other tax in this country. But I still pay it.

Ring the Customs, if he's genuine, then no harm done.

After all, it’s not easy to get Irish insurance on a UK car for long periods now if you’re an Irish resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Jakey wrote:
    Over 90% of cars break the speed limit on 50kph dual carriageways, Speeding kills but would those on the moral high ground report a car doing 5kph over the speed limit on a dual carriageway?

Because speeding doesn't kill .... inappropriate speed does .... no sane person would call 55kph on a dual carriageway inappropriate speed...

by your logic if the government reduced the speed limit to 5kph tommorow then 10,000s would be killed becuase of all the speeding.... and if they made the speed limit 300kph no one would ever die because there was no speeding...

Anan1 wrote:
    Because, as has been pointed out ad nauseum, it's our money.

Its absolutely our money but dont forget a lot of high earners in this country get away with paying little or no income tax through legal avoidance, the morals of paying tax get very very complicated im absolutely not justifying illegal evasion but I can see why people choose it.

The simple solution is to abolish VRT and tax fuel instead (same as the Uk)those who release the most emissions pay the most tax and the possibilty for evasion much much smaller, also the staff in the VRO can be deployed elsewhere saving 'our' money as the extra fuel tax can be collected in the same way as the other fuel duties. I've no doubt there would be other issues with hauliers ect......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I quite like the specificity: a Mercedes 230 SLK (with UK plates).

Not: a car (with UK plates).

Smacks of begrudery with a big B.

EDIT: [sarcasm]along with the myriad new sub-forums springing under the sub-cat header 'Motors' lately, can I ask why the VRT hasn't got it's own mini sub-forum by now?[/sarcasm]

jhegarty wrote:
    Because speeding doesn't kill .... inappropriate speed does .... no sane person would call 55kph on a dual carriageway inappropriate speed...

by your logic if the government reduced the speed limit to 5kph tommorow then 10,000s would be killed becuase of all the speeding.... and if they made the speed limit 300kph no one would ever die because there was no speeding...

Thats not my logic germany has the highest amount of de-restricted roads in europe and one of the lowest road deaths, My point is self policing doesnt work, its the customs/revenue/guards jobs to enforce these, Not mine or yours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭georgie59

Firstly can't beleive the amount of response this had (but then again I'm adding to it)
    We (being the royal my husband and I) have imported several cars and a crew cab and paid the vrt,
    any one who thinks it would make an i-oat-er of a difference if anyone or everyone paid their vrt is IN MY OPPINION living in cookoo land
    maybe bertie might get another new jet or new merc for his entire expanded minister (with the exception of the greens)
    He might even tell us that the Health care system would benifit from the extra revenue
    We have another crew cab as he is trying to sell the first so its sitting outside the house on the uk plates and will for awhile
    Don't worry about them they will pobably get caught and it might be legite
    My daughter brought a uk car and had pay vrt on it quite soon after putting it on the road yet theres someone who picks up their kid from play school for this last year in a Northern Ireland register nissan
    These things happen rightly or wrongly but life is to short to worry about trival things
    THAT'S MY OPPINION

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭georgie59

Jakey wrote:

The simple solution is to abolish VRT and tax fuel instead (same as the Uk)QUOTE]

Didn't someone called Jack Lynch do this many years ago thats why for years our fuel was so much dearer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

I've been reading through this thread and I just want to clear up something, so basically the OP, and many other people agree with reporting the driver despite the fact that you have absolutely no idea the exact time this car has been in the country, you don't know where the owner is a resident, you're just presuming its in Ireland because you see it around your town a bit?? Why not go up to the driver and tell them what they're moral and civic duty is and when they tell you to f*ck off accept that and move on with your seemingly very busy life.

Advertisement