Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dodging vrt?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ambro25 wrote:
    I quite like the specificity: a Mercedes 230 SLK (with UK plates).

Not: a car (with UK plates).

/i]

For the last time, the car is not on uk plates.

If it was a fiesta that stood out then yes I would have started a thread about that. But this stands out because of model and colour. And parking in the same spot everyday in a shopping centre is not stalking someone.

Tony Danza wrote:
    I've been reading through this thread and I just want to clear up something, so basically the OP, and many other people agree with reporting the driver despite the fact that you have absolutely no idea the exact time this car has been in the country,

The car is in the same parking space 5 days a week for 5+ months. So I think I know how long it is in the country.
    Tony Danza wrote:
    and move on with your seemingly very busy life.
    Also for the last time, I really have nothing better to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Jakey

tuxy wrote:
    The car is in the same parking space 5 days a week for 5+ months. So I think I know how long it is in the country.

Also for the last time, I really have nothing better to do.

As a lot of people on this thread are concerned about our society maybe some charity work would improve it? If you report the CLK owner and he/she pays a few K's in tax the government may squander that on make up or a new gulfstream jet where as if you do some charity work you can see the rewards and you will definitely have something better to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

tuxy wrote:

before ringing the customs (and wasting there time), might be worth checking if the Car has got UK road Tax, if the tax is out or no disk, then ring them.

Mc-BigE wrote:
    before ringing the customs (and wasting there time), might be worth checking if the Car has got UK road Tax, if the tax is out or no disk, then ring them.

OMG can you peole not read what I type?
    It comes up on my screen but not yours?

The car is not on UK plates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

tuxy wrote:

let me help

ITS NOT ON UK PLATES
    UK

Thanks, perhaps they will listen to you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

tuxy wrote:

Easy now, I’m on your side:D

Ok, if it’s a Polish/Lithuanian car (and you haven't said it was!!!), more then likely the driver is from there and is not liable for VRT. Just a flatrate of 50 euro.
    He/She is however liable for Irish Road Tax/ NCT/ Insurance if he's living in this country for longer than 6 months (I think, it may be more)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

tuxy wrote:
    So you know it's been there for 5+ months and it's there 5 days a week, I some how doubt that you can say 100% that you're right with those times, so you don't know for sure how long it's been in the country, since, I presume you're basing this on memory. You still don't know anything about this car other than you've seen it parked somewhere for a while. This a stupid question and may have been answered anyway, I presume the car is parked on a public road, but why not ask it anyway, is the car parked on a public road?

tuxy wrote:

So if it's from somewhere else in the EU the odds that's liable for any VRT regardless of anything else said in this thread is practically zero, and you're worried about him dodging VRT without even looking up the basics of who's liable for it??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

So what it's polish or something? a lot of the foreign nations here still have their cars registered in their own countries...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Tony Danza wrote:
    So if it's from somewhere else in the EU the odds that's liable for any VRT regardless of anything else said in this thread is practically zero
    How do you figure this?

Anan1 wrote:
    How do you figure this?
    because if the car is polish and has been owned by someone in poland who now lives here they don't have to pay VRT on the car, they do have to register it but not pay VRT...

Although I know first hand that the guards don't want these cars to be registeres in Ireland as they're Left hand drive cars and shouldn't really be used on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

steve06 wrote:
    because if the car is polish and has been owned by someone in poland who now lives here they don't have to pay VRT on the car, they do have to register it but not pay VRT....
    Look up the rules governing transfer of residence, this is not always the case.
    steve06 wrote:
    Although I know first hand that the guards don't want these cars to be registeres in Ireland as they're Left hand drive cars and shouldn't really be used on our roads.
    The Guards have absolutely no say in what cars are registered here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm not sure too many currently foreign registered cars would pass an NCT either.

I don't care if it's 50 euro or 5k that they owe.
    If it's in the country that long it mostly likely should be on Irish plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭alphanine

whata terrible thread, it speaks volumes about who would actually report someone to the authorities

Ya I can see why such people would live under a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

alphanine wrote:
    whata terrible thread, it speaks volumes about who would actually report someone to the authorities

And the rest of the posts are the reason this country has been plagued by back-handers,bribes and corruption for so long....taxes are for other people ,not me....

According to this you're exempt if you lived in another EU country for 12 months previously, and you don't have to register the car here until 12 months of transferring residence. So it doesn't have to be on Irish plates yet, nothing to report. Now maybe you can mind your own business?

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    Look up the rules governing transfer of residence, this is not always the case.

it is the case...
    Anan1 wrote:
    The Guards have absolutely no say in what cars are registered here.

I know that, but I know guards that have a pain in the head with foreign reg cars from places like poland because they're unsafe, not road worthy and are left hand drives... and most of them are not insured here, they're insured in poland still... And nobody wants them regsitered here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

This thread speaks volumes on "society" as it is:

One turns a blind eye when witness to a mugging, or a handbag being snatched, or a car getting broken into yet on the other hand one is willing to tell tattle on someone who "might" be a resident yet is driving an out-of-state car.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tony Danza wrote:
    you don't have to register the car here until 12 months of transferring residence. So it doesn't have to be on Irish plates yet, nothing to report. Now maybe you can mind your own business?
    Thaat is misleading - it suggests that you have a year to drive around on non RoI plates.
    It says that:
    * you must bring the vehicle into the State within 12 months of the date of your transfer of residence.
    * You may not sell, dispose of, hire out or lend the vehicle during the 12 months following the date of registration.
    * If you are transferring residence from within the EU, you must present your application and the vehicle at your local VRO by the end of the next working day following the arrival of the vehicle in the State. If you are coming from outside the EU, you must lodge your application when importing the vehicle at the Customs Office at the point of arrival in the State.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

franksm wrote:
    This thread speaks volumes on "society" as it is:

One turns a blind eye when witness to a mugging, or a handbag being snatched, or a car getting broken into yet on the other hand one is willing to tell tattle on someone who "might" be a resident yet is driving an out-of-state car.

exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭nastysimon

Why do some people make such an issue over someone wanting to be certain that the country is not being defrauded of taxes?
    I agree that there are much more important issues and perhaps campaigning against VRT is one of them, but if the little crusade that the OP wants to go on is tax evasion and in particular VRT evasion (whether real or imagined), why not let them and even encourage them for doing something, which is more than most people do.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

steve06 wrote:
    because it's none of their business and it's not up to them to do the jobs of customs officers..

Right Ted. So if we see someone keying a car we should ignore it because it's not up to us to do the Guards jobs. Likewise if we see a car being stolen we should ignore because it's not any of our business.

Someone else mentioned begrudgery - maybe we are begrudgers because we're sick of folk being paraded in front of us as role models and examples that we should follow. We all had Mick Lowry, Dermot Desmond, Denis O'Brien, CJ Haughey, Peeeee Flynn presented as models and look what they did - sorted themselves out at our expense.

parsi wrote:
    Right Ted. So if we see someone keying a car we should ignore it because it's not up to us to do the Guards jobs. Likewise if we see a car being stolen we should ignore because it's not any of our business.

Don't be stupid, There might be a reason for this person not paying VRT... there is no reason for someone to key or steal a car... that's a ridiculous and moronic comparison

kbannon wrote:
    Thaat is misleading - it suggests that you have a year to drive around on non RoI plates.
    It says that:
    * you must bring the vehicle into the State within 12 months of the date of your transfer of residence.
    * You may not sell, dispose of, hire out or lend the vehicle during the 12 months following the date of registration.
    * If you are transferring residence from within the EU, you must present your application and the vehicle at your local VRO by the end of the next working day following the arrival of the vehicle in the State. If you are coming from outside the EU, you must lodge your application when importing the vehicle at the Customs Office at the point of arrival in the State.
    OK, I was thinking it seemed a bit generous! So once you change address, you can bring a car through without paying VRT within 12 months of moving and notify them the nearest working day, is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

steve06 wrote:
    Don't be stupid, There might be a reason for this person not paying VRT... there is no reason for someone to key or steal a car... that's a ridiculous and moronic comparison

You can argue down that one all you want but at the end of the day it is a fair enough comparison. Broken down it is simply somebody breaking the law.

While it has been said that it is "possible" that this person has a valid reason not to register the car, if they have been living here for 6 months then it is less than likely.

Better to report it and find out if they have a reason than to sit back and debate about whether or not to report them. Thats the only way to find out for sure and I for one hope the OP takes it upon themself to report them.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

steve06 wrote:

Is it ? The person may key a car as a symbol of their political frustration. They may key it in objection to the owner or to settle a score. They may take the car in settlement of a debt.They may perceive the reason as right but the world will usually see it as an offence. Just like not paying VRT if its due. But in your world-view we should ignore some offences and not ignore other ones. Maybe if you get a chance you could list the laws that you feel should be ignored and the ones that we should obey.

Oh hang on = you're a big stickler for parking regs - taking pictures of cars you consider to be parked wrongly http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53098743&postcount=37

Advertisement