Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dodging vrt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 freq modulated

parsi wrote:
    Is it ? The person may key a car as a symbol of their political frustration. They may key it in objection to the owner or to settle a score. They may take the car in settlement of a debt.They may perceive the reason as right but the world will usually see it as an offence. Just like not paying VRT if its due.

Oh hang on = you're a big stickler for parking regs - taking pictures of cars you consider to be parked wrongly http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53098743&postcount=37

Are you for real??? The person keys a car because they are a scumbag who cannot express themselve in a political way!! If you think there is any justification in keying someones car, you are as bad to be honest. Never had your car keyed i take it!? Dont say you have because you wouldnt have said what you did if you had.

VRT is a farse and the government know that...the EU knows that...anyone who has had to pay it directly when importing a car from a town 3 miles over the border knows that. If I imported a car i would go as long as possible without paying it, especially since the last time i heard of someone doing this there was no stipulation on his insurance poilcy that he had to VRT the car by a certain date, he had it covered by the VIN number.

And if you look at the pictures you showed Steve to have posted, the people he took people parkin like idiots clearly show that they are parked like idiots and alot worse than others as he was tryin to show i think.

And the the OP, mind your business!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I wonder if all those up who would be up in arms about VRT evasion have ever been to the USA and would they on their way home through Dublin airport have sought out a customs official to declare all the goods they purchased abroad so they could give the good government of this land the tax to which the are legally entitled? After all, it's the right thing to do and if they don't someone else has to pay for it...

Like f**k they would. Everyone likes a kick-back, a few quid saved here and there when the risk isn't too great.

The disgruntled posters are just pi$$ed that someone else may be getting away with something which they are unable to or don't have the brass to try themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

el tel wrote:
    I wonder if all those up who would be up in arms about VRT evasion have ever been to the USA and would they on their way home through Dublin airport have sought out a customs official to declare all the goods they purchased abroad so they could give the good government of this land the tax to which the are legally entitled? After all, it's the right thing to do and if they don't someone else has to pay for it...

Like f**k they would. Everyone likes a kick-back, a few quid saved here and there when the risk isn't too great.

The disgruntled posters are just pi$$ed that someone else may be getting away with something which they are unable to or don't have the brass to try themselves.
    Couldn't have put it better. Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I know that, but I know guards that have a pain in the head with foreign reg cars from places like poland because they're unsafe, not road worthy and are left hand drives... and most of them are not insured here, they're insured in poland still... And nobody wants them regsitered here

..........thats all sounds like a perfectly good reason to ensure that they ARE registered here asap. then they would have to display tax and insurance discs that the Gardai would recognise AND they would go through the NCT system !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

MercMad wrote:
    ..........thats all sounds like a perfectly good reason to ensure that they ARE registered here asap. then they would have to display tax and insurance discs that the Gardai would recognise AND they would go through the NCT system !
    well most of their cars are in bits, and I know polish lads that have said to their mates "If you want your car to pass the NCT I can get you a disc"

Imagine all the left hand drive death buckets on the roads with NCT discs because their mates work in the test centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

steve06 wrote:
    well most of their cars are in bits, and I know polish lads that have said to their mates "If you want your car to pass the NCT I can get you a disc"

Imagine all the left hand drive death buckets on the roads with NCT discs because their mates work in the test centres.

Yeeees ...we ned more Irish NCT employees !!

(So that we can have more right hand drive death buckets with NCT discs)

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

parsi wrote:
    Right Ted. So if we see someone keying a car we should ignore it because it's not up to us to do the Guards jobs. Likewise if we see a car being stolen we should ignore because it's not any of our business.

Someone else mentioned begrudgery - maybe we are begrudgers because we're sick of folk being paraded in front of us as role models and examples that we should follow. We all had Mick Lowry, Dermot Desmond, Denis O'Brien, CJ Haughey, Peeeee Flynn presented as models and look what they did - sorted themselves out at our expense.
    parsi wrote:
    Is it ? The person may key a car as a symbol of their political frustration. They may key it in objection to the owner or to settle a score. They may take the car in settlement of a debt.They may perceive the reason as right but the world will usually see it as an offence. Just like not paying VRT if its due. But in your world-view we should ignore some offences and not ignore other ones. Maybe if you get a chance you could list the laws that you feel should be ignored and the ones that we should obey.

Oh hang on = you're a big stickler for parking regs - taking pictures of cars you consider to be parked wrongly http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53098743&postcount=37

yeah but the thing is , people wouldnt give a damn to report a car being keyed or vandalised but poeple will be more than happy to rat on somebody for foreign plates as mentioned earlier.

"One turns a blind eye when witness to a mugging, or a handbag being snatched, or a car getting broken into yet on the other hand one is willing to tell tattle on someone who "might" be a resident yet is driving an out-of-state car."

Any of the mods want to close this thread?... aint really getting anywhere!

I never realised how many people on boards were so miserable that they'd fixate and obsess about their neighbours license plate.

And if you do report him... then according to parsi, he has every right to key your car to "settle a score" so watch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

C_Breeze wrote:
    yeah but the thing is , people wouldnt give a damn to report a car being keyed or vandalised but poeple will be more than happy to rat on somebody for foreign plates as mentioned earlier.

"One turns a blind eye when witness to a mugging, or a handbag being snatched, or a car getting broken into yet on the other hand one is willing to tell tattle on someone who "might" be a resident yet is driving an out-of-state car."
    This has been used a couple of times now in an effort to condone VRT evasion. Who? Where? Proof? Or, as I suspect, did somebody just dream it up in support of another intrinsically lame argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Off the high horses with the lot of ye.

There is no condoning to be done, at the end of the day it's all down to how one perceives the situation: it can be viewed as an individual act of civic disodience (as a valid form of protest against VRT, which is distinct from the other valid form of seeking TD's intervention), or it can be viewed as a selfish act in flagrant disregard of Irish societal precepts, or it can be viewed as... etc.

And insofar as "proactively" reporting the matter, El Tel nailed it best on the head with his customs-declaration-form-@-airport analogy: "look thy neighbour's eye..." and all that :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

I wonder if this car the OP is on about, came around a bend sideways because its tyres/suspension/shocks are not roadworthy because it wasn't NCT'd and hit you're passenger, badly injuring or killing him/her in the seat next to you.

I wonder would you feel the same way about cars which don’t have to be checked and in most cases drivers that don't care because they think they are above Irish law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Mc-BigE wrote:
    I wonder if this car the OP is on about, came around a bend sideways because its tyres/suspension/shocks are not roadworthy because it wasn't NCT'd and hit you're passenger, badly injuring or killing him/her in the seat next to you.

I wonder would you feel the same way about cars which don’t have to be checked and in most cases drivers that don't care because they think they are above Irish law.

thats such a stupid argument

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Mc-BigE wrote:

I wonder if all of the above is the sole preserve of non-Irish cars on Irish roads :confused:

Tired argument in a tired thread :cool:

Mike65 my good man, why don't you just do us a big favour and...[click]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

C_Breeze wrote:
    thats such a stupid argument

indeed.........I keep looking out for those blocks of ice dumped from plane toilets........I think they're a real danger that everyone keeps ignoring too....:rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

steve06 wrote:
    Any of the mods want to close this thread?... aint really getting anywhere!

I never realised how many people on boards were so miserable that they'd fixate and obsess about their neighbours license plate.

And if you do report him... then according to parsi, he has every right to key your car to "settle a score" so watch out.

And where did I say that ? I suggested reasons that scumbags may want to key cars. I suggested that you wished to be selective about which laws _you_ wanted to obey. I suggested that other folk may have your view but choose different laws that _they_ wished to obey. I'm sure most Tallaght/Moyross/Darndale scumbags don't give a fiddlers about VRT or the law on criminal damage but would get fierce upset if (for example) Social Welfare law was applied to them and heaven help any Guard who pulled one up for keying a car (of any description) and didn't read them each and every one of their rights (even though they know them better than anyone else).

You for example don't care about VRT evasion (cause it doesn't directly affect you) but you have a major issue with builders blocking off parking spaces (which does affect you).

But anyway I'm sure Stevo and all the anti-VRT folk turned out to vote for the party that promised to abolish it because it was a political imposition and it's only the politicians who can change it to something more equitable and usage based eg a greater tax on fuel.

(apologies for all the bracketing)

parsi wrote:
    You for example don't care about VRT evasion (cause it doesn't directly affect you) but you have a major issue with builders blocking off parking spaces (which does affect you).

VRT evasion doesn't affect anyone... except maybe a politician who's fed up with his 05 Leer jet and wants a 07 model but f*ck him... he doesn't need it really! he just wants to waste money...

and what does who I may or may not have voted for have anything to do with this?

I've paid VRT twice and it kills me... but if someone else can get away without paying it, why not? And btw, if the car has been here for 6 months and he pays the VRT now, in 1 month or 6 months ago... the amount he'll pay doesn't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mickey mac

God! I hope nobody like the OP ever moves to where I live, at the moment I'm driving a NI reg, which I will eventually pay the VRT on (unless it turns into a pup).
    The longer I leave it the less tax I will pay, although you really need to leave it for 12 months to make a noticable saving, I've done it in the past and probably will do it in the future.
    It's more like bending the rules than breaking the rules! IMO!
    I've never attracted any attention from the gardai, the car(s) are insured and I'm a very carefull driver.
    So I'm in the "mind your own business" camp!

ye, And I had a UK reg celica for 8 months over here. It was insured and tax'd and I paid the VRT when I sold the car... the Government got their money and there was no difference in the amount I paid when I registered it, compared to what I would have paid if I had registered it the day I got it in.

steve06 wrote:
    VRT evasion doesn't affect anyone... except maybe a politician who's fed up with his 05 Leer jet and wants a 07 model
    This is the kind of attitude that kept our economy (& society) in the doldrums for so long. Still common enough in places like Nigeria, though.

Anan1 wrote:
    This is the kind of attitude that kept our economy (& society) in the doldrums for so long. Still common enough in places like Nigeria, though.
    I suppose you agree with TV license and dog licenses too

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote:
    VRT evasion doesn't affect anyone... except maybe a politician who's fed up with his 05 Leer jet and wants a 07 model but f*ck him

It's LearJet but in some cases that mis-spelling might be more appropriate alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

From looking at all the posts here condoning vrt evasion, it looks like sleevinism is alive and well in this totally transparent isle of ours.

I personally think that vrt is a barrier to the free trade of cars within the EU, is highly questionable, and not a nice thing to have to pay. However, its currently the law of the land, and by choosing not to pay it, you are breaking the law. Breaking a law where there is a financial incentive is not, imo, a valid form of protest. If you are aggrieved by any legislation, bring it to the notice of your TD. Thats why you voted for him/her - to represent you and your views.

to all those condoning the practice of not paying vrt, and to those who think its no-ones business heres something to ponder over - would you sit back and do nothing about someone who is defrauding social welfare??
    Is it any of your business??

Then have a look at your wages slip, take a note of the PAYE stopped each week, and think about where that money (your money) has gone. You'd like to think its gone to serve a useful purpose, or deserving case.
    However, maybe you would be pissed off if you thought it was going to some defrauding skanger who had far more money than you ever would... - or maybe a lot of you out there don't give 2 sh1tes, as its not your business.

Maybe you should think again, my friends.

ambro25 wrote:
    I wonder if all of the above is the sole preserve of non-Irish cars on Irish roads :confused

I'd say the French are having it as well in those parts that have been over-run by UK folk. They probably also had it when they were over-run by the Germans - a little known fact : the Resistance sprung up originally as an anti-VRT movement. *

* = not meant in anyway to denigrate the brave fighters of the Resistance or eeven to Godwinise the discussion (hence the use of Germans rather than the N-word)

steve06 wrote:
    I suppose you agree with TV license and dog licenses too
    Your point being?

gyppo wrote:
    to all those condoning the practice of not paying vrt, and to those who think its no-ones business heres something to ponder over - would you sit back and do nothing about someone who is defrauding social welfare??
    Is it any of your business??

By someone defrauding social welfare, they affect all our wages... by someone not payng VRT, it doesn't affect us!

Tell me how it does, and where the VRT money goes that benefits us, and tell me how people not paying VRT will increase our tax's and I will change my argument!

Anan1 wrote:
    Your point being?
    they're unnecessary, dog license money... eh why? and TV license was created to fund RTE... RTE doesn't need it because it makes money from advertising, unlike the BBC that don't have ads, and they get funded by the license fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

steve06 wrote:
    By someone defrauding social welfare, they affect all our wages... by someone not payng VRT, it doesn't affect us!

Tell me how it does, and where the VRT money goes that benefits us, and tell me how people not paying VRT will increase our tax's and I will change my argument!

Its simple.... the government need €X to run the country every year (including everything from hospitals to lear jets)

They get €X every year through taxes/duties/fines..etc..etc.. ....

if you don't contribute your bit to €X then someone else will have to....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

steve06 wrote:

JHegarty's post sums it up precisely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

So nobody out of "report this guy" crowd cares to comment on whether they would declare all goods bought on holidays to the customs as Steve06 said previously? Or are they happy to "steal from us all" in that case?

• Advertisement

jhegarty wrote:
    Its simple.... the government need €X to run the country every year (including everything from hospitals to lear jets)

They get €X every year through taxes/duties/fines..etc..etc.. ....

if you don't contribute your bit to €X then someone else will have to....
    but it is a stealth tax...

Advertisement