Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dodging vrt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Tony Danza wrote:
    So nobody out of "report this guy" crowd cares to comment on whether they would declare all goods bought on holidays to the customs as Steve06 said previously? Or are they happy to "steal from us all" in that case?
    I would. Tax fraud is tax fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Anan1 wrote:
    No offense, but I don't believe that for a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Anan1 wrote:
    So on your way back from say New york with your brand new iPhone you'd stop and say "Actaully I bought this over there and it was quite cheap so here's your €150"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

steve06 wrote:
    ....except maybe a politician who's fed up with his 05 Leer jet ...

I dunno, I think Leer is an entirely apt name for a politicians plane.....:D
    I've paid VRT twice and it kills me...
    I'll presume for a moment you've had more than two cars, and if so, you're wrong. You've paid VRT here too. Even on secondhand stuff. This because the market value here is based on the purchase price, which includes VRT. You, by at anytime paying for a s/hand car here, are paying based on that value, now depreciated, and so, albeit hidden, you're still propping up VRT. By bringing in an import you're just handing it directly to the Revenue instead of through the chain of s/hand owners here. 6 of one, half-a-dozen of the other, really..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Tony Danza wrote:
    No offense, but I don't believe that for a second.
    I'm not surprised. It's intrinsic in human nature to assume that others will behave in the same way as one would oneself. The central plank in your justification of theft is that everyone would do it. Sorry, but they wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

parsi wrote:
    I'd say the French are having it as well in those parts that have been over-run by UK folk.

There's no VRT or road tax in France. It now goes on the fuel mostly (and insurance, a little). I'll not comment on the German stuff, which although I find mildly offensive for personal reasons, I understand to have been posted in jest.

Just 'thought you'd like to know (meant in a nice way :) )

EDIT: excuse me, before the Pedant Brigade on Boards runs amok, of course there is a €50 "adminitrative file" ('frais de dossiers') fee levied by the relevant Préfecture. Those fees are used for absolutely anything (usually local social action-type fund/activities). But then, when you're contemplating very many multiples of €1,000 in the case of VRT, €50 feels like charity to the Exchequer. :D/EDIT

Incidentally, I am currently in the process of re-registering my ex-UK, then IE-registered car, on FR-plates. Given that it's been on IE plates for less than 2 and a half years, I sure am glad I didn't have to pay VRT on it ;)

It's cost me more in 2 and a half years of ownership here, than all 4 years of ownership in the UK - and that's factoring in no VRT payable, and full services done in the UK (while on IE plates) which were still cheaper than locally in IE (yes, even incl.ferry crossings).

Parsi - btw, my question was dripping with sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 freq modulated

Anan1 wrote:

bsmeter.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

C_Breeze wrote:
    thats such a stupid argument

You’re entitled to your opinion, but I think it’s just as good an argument as any other one here.

My Car is an overpriced car which I know I can buy cheaper in the UK, but its road legal, Taxed /Insured/ and NCT'd.

Now accidents happen and people speed, so the NCT is pointless in that case.

But if you’re required by law to have your car checked (NCT)

The higher the % that something faulty has been fixed.

Compared to a non Irish car that’s been in Ireland for long periods unchecked
    Because no one is enforcing it.

galwaytt wrote:
    I dunno, I think Leer is an entirely apt name for a politicians plane.....:D

I'll presume for a moment you've had more than two cars, and if so, you're wrong. You've paid VRT here too. Even on secondhand stuff. This because the market value here is based on the purchase price, which includes VRT. You, by at anytime paying for a s/hand car here, are paying based on that value, now depreciated, and so, albeit hidden, you're still propping up VRT. By bringing in an import you're just handing it directly to the Revenue instead of through the chain of s/hand owners here. 6 of one, half-a-dozen of the other, really..........

yes, I've paid VRT twice on second hand cars...

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Compared to a non Irish car that’s been in Ireland for long periods unchecked. Because no one is enforcing it.
    [/careful - broad brush in progress]

Facetiously, my turn:

[careful - broad brush in progress]

There's probably as many Irish cars on Irish roads without a valid NCT than foreign-reg'd cars.

Why is it, when Irish people place all this faith in the NCT for periodical checks of cars' general health and to turf out dangerous cars in the process, that Irish people don't appear to bother servicing/maintaining their cars for any other reason than to pass it - rather than regularly service/maintain for their own safety?

Why therefore automatically believing that 'non-Irish' folks should have even less of a clue about basic car maintenance?

[/careful - broad brush in progress]

Some of what's in here is truly laughable. Mods, ran out of virtual padlocks or what?

• Advertisement

ambro25 wrote:

There's probably as many Irish cars on Irish roads without a valid NCT than foreign-reg'd cars.

If there is , then its easier to track them down because their registered in the state. Plus a lot of insurers ask for NCT cert now.
    ambro25 wrote:
    Why therefore automatically believing that 'non-Irish' folks should have even less of a clue about basic car maintenance?

were did i say that?

Mc-BigE wrote:
    ambro25 wrote:
    were did i say that?

You didn't say this explicitly. It could nonetheless be readily inferred from:
    Mc-BigE wrote:
    But if you’re required by law to have your car checked (NCT), the higher the % that something faulty has been fixed. Compared to a non Irish car that’s been in Ireland for long periods unchecked

All the same, put it down to my broad brush speaking, on a roll :D

ambro25 wrote:
    You didn't say this explicitly. It could nonetheless be readily inferred from:
    :D

Same way one COULD construed that all the people saying “mind you own business” are driving around with non-irish Reg Cars.
    and all the "report him" people are driving around with overpriced cars or have been caught:rolleyes:

Is the OP gone.... ?????

please tell us weather you've reported him or not so we can put this to bed:)

Anan1 wrote:
    I'm not surprised. It's intrinsic in human nature to assume that others will behave in the same way as one would oneself. The central plank in your justification of theft is that everyone would do it. Sorry, but they wouldn't.
    I'm trying to point out that you give out about somebody not paying VRT (although I doubt the car in question in this thread is liable) is "stealing from society", which can be argued as a fair point, I'm not going to give out about this person, because that would mean that I have never tried to "get away" with paying less than I owe. Be it not paying your TV license, skipping a months tax on your car or not paying customs for what you bought abroad. I don't believe for a second that anybody on this board has paid 100% what they should have throughout they're whole life, which makes arguing over one car not paying VRT hypocritical. I have no doubt that the majority of people in Ireland pay 99% of tax that they are suppose to, but if you can get away with something small, people general tend to, a blatant example that comes to mind is somebody doing work on your house, it's one price if you pay in cash and one if you want a receipt.

I don't think you can honestly say that you have not once skipped what you are meant to pay to "society", be it something small like you didn't buy a dog license one year or you threw rubbish on ground and didn't willingly go and ask for a fine?? And don't come back with a stupid point like "I don't have a dog", you should get what I'm saying and if you don't, then I should stop wasting my time typing.
    bsmeter.gif
    That's pretty cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 freq modulated

You have permission to use it in cases like the above! ;)

Can I ask the OP if he got in a crash and a mechanic said to him... it's pretty bad. It'll cost you €2,000 to fix it up, and then your insurance will rise because of the claim too... but I can do it for €1,000 cash!

What woud you do...

a) Go through your insurance company and pay through the nose for the next few years.

b) pay the cash and report the guy to the revenue for "stealing".

c) pay in cash and be grateful that someone has helped you out and you've helped them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Jakey

Anan1 wrote:

In one year in Shannon a few hundred euro was collected in customs when you consider last year approx 3.7million people passed through it you are literally one in a million

Do you feel 'special'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

tuxy wrote:
    There has been a Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 on foreign plates in my town for about 6 months. What can I do about it?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055114815&referrerid=&highlight=
    tuxy wrote:
    I know that.
    But what I want to know is if I register two phones in a short space of time
    will I get €20 a month for a while?
    Or should I wait for 6 months then register the second phone.

Tuxy why should I pay extortionate Vodafone bills every month to subsidise hypocritical little gits like you, who sneakily try to act the rat and abuse Vodafones promotional vehicles ?

- Please PM me all your details and a photocopy of your Birth Cert. so that I can forward same to the Fraud Dept. at Vodafone. I have already forwarded them the thread URL so you can expect a groping from the long arm of the law any day now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Jakey

Raiser wrote:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055114815&referrerid=&highlight=

Tuxy why should I pay extortionate Vodafone bills every month to subsidise hypocritical little gits like you, who sneakily try to act the rat and abuse Vodafones promotional vehicles ?

- Please PM me all your details and a photocopy of your Birth Cert. so that I can forward same to the Fraud Dept. at Vodafone. I have already forwarded them the thread URL so you can expect a groping from the long arm of the law any day now :D
    vodafone wrote:
    The Offer is limited to one per customer, and is linked to the registered mobile phone number. If a subscriber phone number changes this offer may not be transferred to the new number.

http://www.vodafone.ie/terms/prepaid/index.jsp

• Advertisement

Tony Danza wrote:
    I don't believe for a second that anybody on this board has paid 100% what they should have throughout they're whole life, which makes arguing over one car not paying VRT hypocritical.
    This is (although beloved of children worldwide) an essentially senseless argument. If I had murdered someone, would that make my assertion that murder was wrong any less true?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Tony Danza wrote:
    I don't think you can honestly say that you have not once skipped what you are meant to pay to "society", be it something small like you didn't buy a dog license one year or you threw rubbish on ground and didn't willingly go and ask for a fine?? And don't come back with a stupid point like "I don't have a dog", you should get what I'm saying and if you don't, then I should stop wasting my time typing.

Excellently put Tony Danza, many good points there and I've take note of the highlighted to use the next time some civic angel starts spouting hypocritical nonsense about dues to society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭upsfan

Anan1 wrote:
    This is (although beloved of children worldwide) an essentially senseless argument. If I had murdered someone, would that make my assertion that murder was wrong any less true?
    Whoa, who did you murder there Anan1? Not paying VRT is like killing babies. Cute ones.

upsfan wrote:
    Whoa, who did you murder there Anan1? Not paying VRT is like killing babies. Cute ones.
    Easy there, Dougal.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭upsfan

Seriously though, I'm with you on this one. I'd be interested in what the VRT-evaders think of the likes of Ray Burke for example. A shining example of our political elite?

Anan1 wrote:
    You are able to read, right??? I never said that it was right to not pay tax, I'm just saying that to give out about somebody trying to avoid paying a few quid (it's hardly a massive amount of money we'd be talking about in the greater scheme of things), I'm not going to begrudge them that because I would do the same. You have also done the same, you're just in denial or have yourself completely fooled that you have not once in your life skipped what you owe to society, no matter how small it was.

upsfan wrote:
    Seriously though, I'm with you on this one. I'd be interested in what the VRT-evaders think of the likes of Ray Burke for example. A shining example of our political elite?
    I suppose you're going to say there is absolutely no difference between somebody trying to save themselves a few quid and somebody consciously deciding to get themselves in power and abuse peoples trust?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

steve06 wrote:
    Can I ask the OP if he got in a crash and a mechanic said to him... it's pretty bad. It'll cost you €2,000 to fix it up, and then your insurance will rise because of the claim too... but I can do it for €1,000 cash!

What woud you do...

a) Go through your insurance company and pay through the nose for the next few years.

b) pay the cash and report the guy to the revenue for "stealing".

c) pay in cash and be grateful that someone has helped you out and you've helped them out.

there is nothing illegal in paying cash... its the garages responsibility to pay its taxes..... you would of course be well within your right to report them if you think they don't....

if you're offered a service for 2k or 1k cash.... you know they're not going to pay tax on it.

• Advertisement

jhegarty wrote:
    there is nothing illegal in paying cash... its the garages responsibility to pay its taxes..... you would of course be well within your right to report them if you think they don't....
    You know what he's getting it, you're just being pedantic.

Advertisement