Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to get cheap oil?

Options
  • 30-06-2007 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where is the cheapest place in Dublin to get Castrol Edge 5w-30? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Would you consider an equivalent oil - eg Maxol Prism "Extendo" 5w30 seems to meet the same VAG and ACEA standards as Castrol Edge and I bet it's cheaper too, you'd need to confirm the equivalence yourself though.

IMO Castrol oils tend to be overpriced. You're paying for the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bodo

...and apart from that castrols are easily the worst oils you can get (leaving a lot of crap in the engine). try anything else (mobile/shell/valvoline)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Bodo wrote:
    ...and apart from that castrols are easily the worst oils you can get (leaving a lot of crap in the engine)
    How's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

Someone told me it was to do with the detergents they use and the fact that the oil can absorb water. I have to agree, castrol does seem to leave gunky deposits and foam up a bit (white scum on filler cap).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Brand name means SFA when it comes to oils. What matters is the viscosity, API and ACEA specs and any specific manufacturer specs.

Castrol seems to be one of the dearer oils out there, for instance their GTX Magnatec is dear compared to other equivalent spec oils. Castrol oil is fine but Castrol are experts at catchy marketing slogans - "liquid engineering" and so on

• Advertisement
Advertisement