Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reversed into a car by accident

Options
  • 01-07-2007 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I'm fuked, I reversed into a C class Mercedes Benz at a petrol station.

I'm wondering if it's better to pay him up front or do I let it go to my insurance. I know that if it's claimed off the insurance, it'll go sky high.

There is no visable damage but the owner is claiming there is more damage than there actually is.

Anyone know how much I could end up paying

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

When you say "pay him up front"....has he mentioned a sum ? Has he asked you for payment up front rather than go throught he insurance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

swingking wrote:
    I'm fuked, I reversed into a C class Mercedes Benz at a petrol station.

I'm wondering if it's better to pay him up front or do I let it go to my insurance. I know that if it's claimed off the insurance, it'll go sky high.

There is no visable damage but the owner is claiming there is more damage than there actually is.

Anyone know how much I could end up paying

Ask him for his credentials to see how he knows so much about hidden damage:confused: If you have the money now I'd pay up front, will work out cheaper in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

What non-visible damage is he claiming that you did?

Sometimes it can look like there is little or no damage to a bumper but underneath there can be extensive hidden damage.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How does he know there is more damage if its not visible? Did he get it assessed? What damage is he alleging was done?
    Did you get photos when it happened?
    Request an independent assessment done on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Work out which is cheaper, going through insurance, or paying it yourself. Sometimes its just easier going the insurance for big bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Also if its done through insurance, request your insurance company send him to one of their authorised repair centres so they can be sure you are only being hit for what the actual damage is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

As others have said, request an repair estimation on headed paper (unless he's looking for a realitively small amount).

If you are going to pay out without any official bills make him sign a receipt of "full and final settlement". It may act as a deterrant to him appearing at your door a few weeks later with some other problem.

Report it to your local Garda Station purely as a matter of record. It always looks better, on you part, if there is further trouble down the road.

The problem with minor accidents like this is that some motorists use it as an opportunity to get previous damage repaired, that they may have caused themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The problem with minor accidents like this is that some motorists use it as an opportunity to get previous damage repaired, that they may have caused themselves.

...and a bit extra on top. That said getting things fixed these days is extremely expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Did you call the Gardai at the time? If not tell him you want it repaired in a garage of your choosing. Dont let him screw you over.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kmick wrote:
    If not tell him you want it repaired in a garage of your choosing. Dont let him screw you over.
    ?? If someone damaged your car, would you allow them to choose where the damage was repaired? If someone damaged my car and tried such a cheeky stunt, i'd simply tell them to get lost and go through their insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kmick wrote:
    tell him you want it repaired in a garage of your choosing
    The motorist at fault has no right to decide where the vehicle is repaired!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭lynchtp

I was there when it happened.
    I saw the whole thing.
    He drove into the back of you. You never reversed.
    How could you bee the cause when you were in the shop as it happened.

I'd say it in court too - for a fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

swingking wrote:
    I know that if it's claimed off the insurance, it'll go sky high.

Are you sure that your insurance will go up? My insurance went down after a 10,000 claim.

He sounds like a chancer. He's probably only driving that car because he makes a habit of insurance claims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

The motorist at fault has no right to decide where the vehicle is repaired!
    Would definitely agree with you. If someone backed into my car, there's no way I'd let them chose where it's repaired!!

So sorry to hear what happened though Swingking, these things are easily done. If you can afford to pay for it without going through your insurance company, I'd do that. Hope it sorts out for you soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

Are you sure that your insurance will go up? My insurance went down after a 10,000 claim.

He sounds like a chancer. He's probably only driving that car because he makes a habit of insurance claims

LOL! Yeah, he probably hangs around petrol stations waitin for people to knock into him. Flippin chancer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

lynchtp wrote:
    I was there when it happened.
    I saw the whole thing.
    He drove into the back of you. You never reversed.
    How could you bee the cause when you were in the shop as it happened.

I'd say it in court too - for a fee.
    What do they have in petrol stations?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

He's probably only driving that car because he makes a habit of insurance claims

There's a troll if ever I saw one... you should meet Lomax, he'd say "f**k him, if he can afford a Merc, he can fork out for the damage". :)

Advertisement