Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spray the Imperfections Away?

Options
  • 01-07-2007 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

I have a bit of rust on the exterior of my van. Just wondering, since it's a bit of a banger anyway and I don't care if it's a bit dirty, but would like to get rid of the visible rust, will a spray over be ok? I know the proper way is to get an angle grinder, 150 grit sandpaper and buff it all up etc etc, but can anyone recommend something I can just spray over the rust to cover it up on a white van?

Any feedback appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just spraying it will cover the rust for all of one week, then it'll shine through again.

White is a pain for showing up the rust as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Damn, is there even a hard setting type of filler/cover upper thingy majig? :o

If you're careful while grinding and don't butcher it completely, you may get away with just grind, very quick sand to take the worst grinder marks out, ruststopper, primer, paint.

Won't win any prizes, but can be done in sections and whenever you have time. (but don't leave any ground bits exposed ...ruststopper and primer is a must, the paint can wait a few days)

At least one will see that you went through the trouble of stopping the rust ..will get you some points for effort ...but not for execution :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Can we move this thread to the Cormie Van Forum ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Rub the rust down. Permatex it ruststop, Zinc prime,fill it sand down untill flush, zinc prime it again, spray to match. can be done in a day.
    get the spray aerosol (colour) made custom, and laquer with a few coats sand in between cut and polish. if you want it to look a bit better. ( if the vehicle is the original colour and not faded you can blow in the paint from an aerosol)
    The zinc primer should stabilise the surface. Its not a good repair or very long lasting although it will last a few years in my experience. well its a tart up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Im just after looking at Cormie's vantasks website which says:
    Our vans are always clean, smart and well maintained...and each contain GPS navigation systems.
    :D
    After all his threads on here I can't help from laughing so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

See the problem is, there's bits of rust scattered all over the body so I'd probably end up sanding the whole lot off and needing a full respray if I did all that:o There's definitely nothing I can just give a spray here and a spray there too? What about industrial spray paint? :D doesn't even have to match the colour, as long as it's white/cream.

just use red-brownish paint ...that'll cover the rust :D

Advertisement